Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I ignore the televised news shows. It was okay about 15 years ago but then they all (even CNN) started turning into shouting matches.

So now i read the news online. Washington Post and NYTimes mostly.
I feel disgusted too. Never going to watch BBC, CNN. Drain the swarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Like Ray Wylie said, the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations are really good days.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:49 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dude. Define your term. Maybe then you'll get a response.

Dude??? Is the baseball cap on backwards too??

Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering how elders on this forum are *feeling* . . .

After a lifetime of experiences, what is your current state of happiness and mental wellness?

Are you a good coper? Have you always been resilient?

Maybe you have had an easy life with few traumas.

Maybe you have been through the wringer.

How are you doing now after all of it?
My current state is feeling annoyed that you posted in the retirement forum and used the word 'elder's'.. How old is an elder?

Can I assume that makes you a 'young un' and everyone over your age is an 'elder' or did you just mean 'us retirees' ?

Other than that, I'm content. I'm resilient. I roll with the punches. Any traumas I've had in my life are none of your business, and I'm doing fine, thank you very much.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I don't get people who get offended at terms for our age group.

I am 52. I consider that old, older whatever. Why? Because it is not middle age, and that leaves old.

Do I feel old, act old or any of that? No.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I like to refer to myself as a survivor. I don't want to go into the gory details of what I survived from but I do know that it is not as tragic as some have experienced but I also know that others had it much easier than I did.

At one point in my life, I would say that I was wounded psychologically. Today, even though those wounds healed, the scars are still there and every now and again, they act up for no reason. That is when I have to remind myself of where I am today and how far I have come.

-I am in a VERY loving marriage.
-Both of us are in good health.
-We are ALMOST out of debt (only owe on our car).
-We have the means to live very comfortably.
-I have 4 step-kids & 8 grandkids.
-3 cats.
-Sibs, cousins, aunts, uncles. (Even though I miss those who are gone-like my sister, parents, grandparents, etc.)
-Friends.
-A BEAUTIFUL house.
-And so much more.

And yes, I am VERY happy with my life right now and I can't believe all that I have. Sometimes I just marvel at it all. I hope it stays like this for a LONG time-but I know it will change some day and that scares me.

Cat

Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Being an "elder" has been berry, berry good to me.
Bazinga!

Old 07-20-2019, 11:27 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't get people who get offended at terms for our age group.

I am 52. I consider that old, older whatever. Why? Because it is not middle age, and that leaves old.

Do I feel old, act old or any of that? No.
You are a youngster.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
My current state is feeling annoyed that you posted in the retirement forum and used the word 'elder's'.. How old is an elder?

Can I assume that makes you a 'young un' and everyone over your age is an 'elder' or did you just mean 'us retirees' ?

Other than that, I'm content. I'm resilient. I roll with the punches. Any traumas I've had in my life are none of your business, and I'm doing fine, thank you very much.
An elder is one who is wiser due to having seem some (or much) of the turning of the wheel before.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The word elder doesn't bother me, but it does remind me of what a group of Native Americans would call the oldest people in the tribe, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement