U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

107 posts, read 43,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I bought a 75" tv for him for Christmas last year so it is like being in a theater.

Yes! Now that is a retirement dream I could get behind! If I ever get to where I can afford a TV as big as a wall in my place, I will have reached nirvana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,414,486 times
Coupons, early bird dinners, share meals, watch for sales, ask for a senior discount EVERYWHERE I GO.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,414,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Coupons, early bird dinners, share meals, watch for sales, ask for a senior discount EVERYWHERE I GO.
Plus I'm a notoriously cheap tipper

And I buy lease return cars, not new ones.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We stretched our retirement dollars by spending those years somewhere far less expensive. We have a beachfront condo in So. America. It's so nice right here, I don't need to leave unless it's a big trip!

No car, no mortgage, no debt, almost no property tax or HC costs. Not having a car removes a lot of spending "temptation", LOL. We don't have cable or any services besides Netflix. $15 data fee for phone.

It's a drastic choice that most wouldn't want, but now we can afford to travel to Europe every year.

As was said, everyone's "wants" are different. Neither of us likes shopping or cares about clothes or possessions, so it makes that saving easy. Restaurants are mediocre here so we save that experience for travel times.

DH likes music, so we shipped down his piano and 3 guitars. I have my Kindle and like to cook and bicycle or walk (or land-sail) on the beach. All free activity. Even have a small veg garden.
I would die from boredom........LOL

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you can have an enjoyable experience for $4 that is a pretty good thing.

My question really wasn't intended for anyone to skip out or scrimp on anything. It's more about how does one do those things for less. (and other things)

v

There you go. Just because I have the money and I'm going to spend it, if there is a way to spend less, I'm all for that.

Yeah, after re-reading my post, I may have gone off on a bit of a tangent there. No offense intended. There's a lot of good info in the post though.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Yeah, after re-reading my post, I may have gone off on a bit of a rant/tangent. No offense intended. There has been a lot of good info on this thread though.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

9,772 posts, read 7,057,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My niece and her husband are also victims of marketing and advertising...they have to have the newest model of everything. They toss out perfectly good furniture, appliances, etc., so they can buy whatever happens to be in style at this very moment. They've bought more stuff in the last 5 years than I have in all my life. So wasteful.
I don't think I'd call people who do that "victims". They make their own choices to live that way, no one is twisting their arms to do so.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

5,973 posts, read 5,321,927 times
For the people that share a plate I hope you are tipping 40% since you are taking up a seat in the servers section. A seat that another customer could be using.

A friend that owned a restaurant told me about the only people that ask for more bread are the ones that share a plate. I think his plate sharing fee was $5.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

7,304 posts, read 4,171,218 times
Quote:

And I buy lease return cars, not new ones.
Looks like your registration is slightly expired.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

5,973 posts, read 5,321,927 times
Quote:

So you brag about something you should be ashamed of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement