Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 06:53 PM

813 posts, read 402,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

it is really not that easy to define un-needed spending ... there is always a cheaper way of living , ALWAYS .

we have not been taking as many trips a year as we were , but i find we eat out more than ever , especially with 6 grand kids ... our costs for seeing them and doing things with them has sky rocketed so money seems to be like water and it will always seek its own level somehow . but what is un-needed spending is going to be prioritized very differently for each of us .

On the first bolded, why would it be difficult to determine if something is un-needed? If I don't need a larger TV or more clothes, they are un-needed. It's not that hard to figure out. Another example: My TV viewing is basically limited to football from September to the first week in February. Cable isn't needed because I get what I want (football) on broadcast TV. So, I know cable costs is an un-needed expense.

Now, on the second bold, I think everybody would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 07:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
For the people that share a plate I hope you are tipping 40% since you are taking up a seat in the servers section. A seat that another customer could be using.

A friend that owned a restaurant told me about the only people that ask for more bread are the ones that share a plate. I think his plate sharing fee was $5.
40% ? Easy there Rockefeller, I tip 15% and not a penny more. Explain to me how me sharing a plate is any different than me eating alone?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm sorry if this has been covered before and I imagine maybe it has and I'm sure parts of it has, like with the cutting cable thread. There are many pretty well known things like senior discounts at restaurants. (I don't qualify for all of them yet)

I'd be interested in programs that those who are retired can take advantage of to pay out less. I already cut cable and I've started on the process of cutting cell phone costs. (anything cheaper than $100 a month for 4 phones unlimited)?

There has to be a lot of things I've not even considered yet.
Not sure if this is available where you are and it is not senior centric, but several years back I signed up for a budget plan for my gas and electric which both are from the same company. I pay the same monthly bill for both these utilities 12 months a year. I like knowing that my monthly gas costs during the cold winter months will not generate me an outrageous bill and the same in the summer when I have the pool (above ground) filter and AC on which will not bump up my electric bill. Believe it or not I tend to be pretty aware of my energy use as a result of being on these plans because come December both get recalculate so being aware which results in not keeping every light on 24/7 or bumping the heat up to >70 when just putting a sweater on can create the necessary warmth I don't see a big bump in cost increases from year to year.

Also, shop around for a different home owner's and car insurance company if you see you bills begin to creep up. I had been an Allstate customer for nearly 30 years for both car and home. Three years ago I noticed despite my car getting older the cost to insure it was going up an not down. I decided to call Amica and although my home owner's premium was about the same I went with them because I got better home coverage for the same premium cost and my car premium costs went down $600/year.

If you are not already hooked up with a good local car mechanic find one and give them your regular gas if they have pumps and regular oil change business because when you need a big repair they are likely to give you a fair price instead of paying a higher price by those in and out car repair places.

Honestly I don't sweat the small ticket items and won't drive 10 miles to save 10 cents, it's the big stuff IMO that will bury you and that is why I pad a buffer fund that just got depleted yesterday by $800 as I needed to buy 2 new room air conditioners. That fund will get refilled when my paycheck comes this Friday. And for this reason when I retire my retirement income is planned to be able to refill that buffer fund like my work paycheck does now so when an unexpected but in reality expected big expense happens there will be funds available to cover it.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:50 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
40% ? Easy there Rockefeller, I tip 15% and not a penny more. Explain to me how me sharing a plate is any different than me eating alone?
More plates, glasses, flatware, napkins, labor.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We gave up a standard landline, and have no cost VOIP. We stopped getting constant solicitation or skip trace calls using this.

We buy OTC meds and other drugstore stuff on Walgreen’s senior savings days which occur on the first Tuesday of the month.

We do much of our food shopping at a store known for lower prices. I don’t use coupons, which are usually issued for highly processed food I don't want to eat anyway.

DH pays major expenses using a credit card. He then pays the balance every month. We get money rebated to us for purchases, and he banks it. Since you like to travel, you can use a credit card that gives you airline miles.

We buy gas at COSTCO. We also buy paper goods and detergent there.

I read library books. Sometimes I buy books, but I try to borrow books if I can. You can also borrow other media at most public libraries. But be mindful of library fines.

I buy sale clothes often at the end if the season. You can find deals more easily then.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Good point, we dumped our land lines years ago too. Gas and food at Costco. Always ask for a senior discount, ALWAYS.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
For the people that share a plate I hope you are tipping 40% since you are taking up a seat in the servers section. A seat that another customer could be using.

A friend that owned a restaurant told me about the only people that ask for more bread are the ones that share a plate. I think his plate sharing fee was $5.
And here we are......

No, no one else could be seated at the same table with me if I was by myself. That table is taken if there is person there, or 4 (if a 4 top).

We don't do it because we are cheap, but because that's all the food we want. We don't eat bread, so another theory shot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
More plates, glasses, flatware, napkins, labor.

None of which has anything to do with the server.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM

154 posts, read 92,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Salvation Army is a religious organization; it has often been called a cult. Better look before you support them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army
Goodwill is the worst organization. the majority of funds go to the higher ups. There is a ton of abuse.

Salvation Army on the other hand, the majority of your donation goes to the cause. And I've never heard them being called a CULT. They are a great organization/church with a heart for the homeless.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:48 PM

154 posts, read 92,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I like to buy the roasted chicken at Costco for $4.99. The first night, I make chicken breast and vegetables or salad. The second night, I make chicken tacos. The third night I either make a salad with chicken, a quesadilla with chicken, or boil the bones, remove the chicken and make chicken noodle soup with the broth from the chicken and the meat.

I try only to go to Costco if i really need toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, etc. Visiting Costco with money on your free time can get expensive. Sometimes I come home with things I liked but did not need.
Costco has some cheap lunches! We eat out there every once in a while, GREAT deals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement