U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 03:39 PM

21,972 posts, read 14,450,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Fred Meyer has a 10% senior discount day. I think it's the first Tuesday of the month. It's good on all store items, except maybe pharmacy, but it's a good day to buy clothing. They are owned by Kroger, but I don't know if it is the same across all Kroger groceries.

Coastal Farm Supply offers a 10% senior discount every Tuesday.

I have never stayed at a motel/hotel that did not offer a senior discount. You just have to ask.
Chuckís Produce, a West Coast food chain, offers 10% off for seniors every Tuesday. I forget if the age qualification is 60 or 65.

There are often AARP or AAA discounts at motels and tourist attractions.

But I think that being frugal means NOT spending money on things. Discounts are nice, but deciding to buy washable clothes and not dry cleaning many things, choosing to not spend money on expensive hair coloring at the stylist, choosing to do lawn care yourself, choosing to drive your older car longer are frugal ways of living. This goes for eating out frequently, as well. I would never tell anyone to never eat out. But usually home cooked or prepared is cheaper than restaurant fare.

But people get to make their own decisions about whether or how to spend their money. I donít think there are correct behaviors that apply to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 04:04 PM

4,650 posts, read 4,489,701 times
10% senior discount at Ross Dress for Less on Tuesdays. You have to ask for it however. They don't volunteer it, even if you look old enough.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,418,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Looks like your registration is slightly expired.
Old picture. Here's my new transport, and I bought it as a lease return. Saved a bundle.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

71,935 posts, read 71,971,035 times
i love when people cross out their plate in pictures ... the car only sits on the public streets for the world to see and the plate is visible to everyone on the road but for some reason we are compelled to cross it out so no one sees it in a picture ...

Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM

7 posts, read 330 times
I appreciate your thoughts.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM

1,207 posts, read 267,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Old picture. Here's my new transport, and I bought it as a lease return. Saved a bundle.
what are you doing, going to every subforum posting this picture?

Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM

927 posts, read 340,072 times
My gold Opal Card is my favourite. Gives unlimited use of public transport in Sydney for $2.50 a day. Often much cheaper than driving and far more comfortable than sitting in a traffic jam. So many discounts here are only for pensioners, not self -funded retirees, so the Opal card is one of the few perks.

We are also very glad we managed to get a seniors health card before they tightened the eligibility. Means we get almost all prescriptions for about $US4 instead of around $20.

We use the cheaper restaurant and pub specials quite a lot but they are available to all. I discourage DH from using the seniors special at Crispy Creme. He really does not need two free donuts with some not particularly good coffee. Even if he thinks he does.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

25,113 posts, read 24,004,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And here we are......

No, no one else could be seated at the same table with me if I was by myself. That table is taken if there is person there, or 4 (if a 4 top).

We don't do it because we are cheap, but because that's all the food we want. We don't eat bread, so another theory shot.
It takes me about three days to eat a restaurant meal because the portions are so large. When I occasionally have dinner in a restaurant with my son, I usually order an appetizer and maybe a cup of soup, small salad, or dessert. We share all of them. I'm not going to tip 40% for that.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

23,869 posts, read 8,337,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm not hoarding my money. I have no intention of dying with a fat bank account while depriving myself of everything.
Not everyone has a fat bank account. Good for you.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

23,869 posts, read 8,337,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i love when people cross out their plate in pictures ... the car only sits on the public streets for the world to see and the plate is visible to everyone on the road but for some reason we are compelled to cross it out so no one sees it in a picture ...
Boy, you sure have been a big winner here at C-D...how does that happen? What did you do for that big amount of winnings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement