U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

1,220 posts, read 272,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Don't spend $1000's on all the needless tech, I can't imagine doing that.
I have parent who does this.....watches, TV, iPad, pc, laptops, HDTV, Netflix, audio books, Sirius, TiVo, etc etc.....He can afford it, but he has to have it.

Again, minimalist lifestyle is where I'm headed.....don't need it. Some of it brings negativity in ones life as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

2,251 posts, read 2,421,810 times
We also buy things in bulk at Costco, even though it's just the two of us. Paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap, bar soap, shampoo, razors, shaving cream, trash bags. We even bought a food vacuum sealer.

Sometimes we buy steaks, and vacuum seal a few of them for later. I go to the $5 car wash, but my wife (Mrs Rockefeller) goes to the $20 one.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

32,076 posts, read 36,725,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I go to the $5 car wash, but my wife (Mrs Rockefeller) goes to the $20 one.
That will teach you to take her car to your car wash like a good husband would do.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

6,646 posts, read 3,700,783 times
Quote:
Don't spend $1000's on all the needless tech, I can't imagine doing that.
When you get all the technology you need (or can stomach), stop listening to the hype.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It takes me about three days to eat a restaurant meal because the portions are so large. When I occasionally have dinner in a restaurant with my son, I usually order an appetizer and maybe a cup of soup, small salad, or dessert. We share all of them. I'm not going to tip 40% for that.
My female friends and I will order from the children's menu or just get appetizers.

The appetite isn't what it used to be.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

8,751 posts, read 10,874,325 times
Switch to a mostly plant based diet.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

23,891 posts, read 8,346,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I have parent who does this.....watches, TV, iPad, pc, laptops, HDTV, Netflix, audio books, Sirius, TiVo, etc etc.....He can afford it, but he has to have it.

Again, minimalist lifestyle is where I'm headed.....don't need it. Some of it brings negativity in ones life as well.
Your parent doesn't NEED them, he thinks he does...I'm more a minimalist than ever in my life, but I grew up in a world of NO TECH gadgets cwap....app for this app for that...good grief such waste.

Bill Gates in his $173M compound loves you and thanks you and so do the Apple crowds...

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

23,891 posts, read 8,346,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
We also buy things in bulk at Costco, even though it's just the two of us. Paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap, bar soap, shampoo, razors, shaving cream, trash bags. We even bought a food vacuum sealer.

Sometimes we buy steaks, and vacuum seal a few of them for later. I go to the $5 car wash, but my wife (Mrs Rockefeller) goes to the $20 one.
Yeah, I've seen people walking out of there spending $400 on the bulk they think they need for their 2 member family. It's amazing how so many are sucked into the bulk buying at Costco. I never joined that joint.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

31,785 posts, read 20,065,669 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen people walking out of there spending $400 on the bulk they think they need for their 2 member family. It's amazing how so many are sucked into the bulk buying at Costco. I never joined that joint.

Yep. That's us. Sucked into saving money? Oh no! If we think we need it, who is to say we don't? I'm pretty sure we are the best judge of that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

9,599 posts, read 10,959,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
When you get all the technology you need (or can stomach), stop listening to the hype.
Quote:
Your parent doesn't NEED them, he thinks he does...I'm more a minimalist than ever in my life, but I grew up in a world of NO TECH gadgets cwap....app for this app for that...good grief such waste.

Bill Gates in his $173M compound loves you and thanks you and so do the Apple crowds...
It depends on the individual's needs and tastes. For example, I can't imagine having any but the most basic cellphone, yet my Kindle Paperwhite is a vade mecum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement