U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 PM

12,348 posts, read 12,575,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I can browse and never buy anything. For some strange reason, that's enough for me. I don't like having too much stuff, to take care of, to store and to clutter up my space.
When I was a kid, I remember my folks "window shopping." They didn't have any money, but they liked to go look at the stuff they couldn't afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM

72,167 posts, read 72,121,987 times
And todayís tip ...

Rent the same car as you have and need tires for , then swap the tires . Best 35 bucks you can spend .ha ha ha

Old 07-26-2019, 02:59 PM

31,863 posts, read 20,112,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
And todayís tip ...

Rent the same car as you have and need tires for , then swap the tires . Best 35 bucks you can spend .ha ha ha
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-26-2019, 05:15 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,094,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Hi Fluffy, I know a little about alcohol and family. I've written quite a bit about it in some of my posts on C-D over the time I've been on C-D.

My father was a violent alcoholic. My mother was an enabler and also drank. My two sisters turned to alcohol.

I've gone to many AA open meetings (that is where a non-alcoholic is allowed to sit in AA meetings). I have gone to many al-anon meetings over the years. I have done a lot of counseling, individual and group. There is so much to be learned. So much wisdom you will hear at these meetings.

And of course there are a few books to read that are full of helpful information.

There is a lot of information on Google and below is a site for "Recovery Village" that explains the connection between alcoholic and family.
https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/alcohol-abuse/
There are other sites listed, too, that will help you understand this.

You are an intelligent woman and I applaud you for questioning this. I hope this helps answer questions you may have.

There are so many of us. I don't have the need to drink as my family did. But I do enjoy a cold beer once in a while. I have wondered about myself as you seem to about yourself. It was explained to me that while my parents and sisters were alcoholic, I did not suffer from drinking. Only from the affects of others drinking. And sadly even tho I (many of us) aren't alcoholic, we do have the alcoholic way of thinking/behaving.

I feel like I'm mumbling here. I hope you are able to get some help from this.

Although this is off topic, I am leaving it in the hopes that it will help someone.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:57 AM

48 posts, read 23,924 times
mschrief, I too am a disabled vet although I am not retired yet. Can you please tell me where you are looking to find the veterans discounts and more details as to the type of discounts you're getting. On another note, did your husband sign up for the prescription plan through Medicare? I'm not sure what to do. I am priority one which pays for all meds through the VA, but as you know you don't get an appointment right away for something like a cold, bronchitis or sinuses at the VA hospital.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:08 PM

1,315 posts, read 297,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
And today’s tip ...

Why rent, just test drive from your dealership for half an hour. Tell the sales guy you'll be right back. Exchange air filter, cabin filter (those things can be expensive, wipers, tires, and anything else that isn't permanently installed.

Joking of course. Or am I?

Old 07-27-2019, 05:51 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,430,622 times
I think Verizon offers discounted rates to seniors and veterans.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:56 PM

7,347 posts, read 4,205,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Why rent, just test drive from your dealership for half an hour. Tell the sales guy you'll be right back. Exchange air filter, cabin filter (those things can be expensive, wipers, tires, and anything else that isn't permanently installed.

Joking of course. Or am I?
People like you are why I snag a new vehicle just as it's coming off the truck.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:00 PM

12,122 posts, read 5,199,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
As soon as they give a 75% discount, someone please let me know.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

39 posts, read 12,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
T-Mobile has unlimited 2 lines for $70 which includes all taxes and fees! 1 person has to be 55 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement