U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,430,622 times

Advertisements

Somebody suggested that if my wife and I split a meal we should tip 40%. I thought it's ridiculous, but I asked my buddy's daughter. She's a server at a local TGI Fridays.

She told me that in California all servers get minimum wage, plus tips. California doesn't have a tipped wage. She also said her and her friends laugh when people think they're starving students. She said she averages $20-$30 an hour.

I'm firmly stuck at 15%, and not a penny more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

31,863 posts, read 20,112,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Somebody suggested that if my wife and I split a meal we should tip 40%. I thought it's ridiculous, but I asked my buddy's daughter. She's a server at a local TGI Fridays.

She told me that in California all servers get minimum wage, plus tips. California doesn't have a tipped wage. She also said her and her friends laugh when people think they're starving students. She said she averages $20-$30 an hour.

I'm firmly stuck at 15%, and not a penny more.
We certainly do not tip more. Heck I waitressed and made around $300 a day part time, day shift, in a coffee shop a decade ago.

When I go out to eat I eat what I want, and how I want. If they don't like it, I am more then happy to take my business elsewhere. I did tip a waitress extra for advising my husband and I to split a burger because she said they were big. She earned a bigger tip because she didn't try to inflate our bill. Heck, we do not get tip less when DH is ordering $30 scotches.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 07:41 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,605,207 times
Here in NYC, a very expensive place to live, waitpersons get a ridiculously small wage, they can only survive with tips to bring them up to a minimum wage level or just beyond that. Usually they are young & a student or trying to make it starting out in some other field as well as waiting. They also get the brunt of all complaints even those that they have no control over like lousy food, slow service from the kitchen, uncomfortable atmosphere etc... & customers will stiff them even though it often is out of their control.

Plus it is just a really hard job physically & dealing with the public can be stressful. People leave nasty notes on the bills instead of tips sometimes commenting on the waiters looks or denigrating them for being stupid (ie., for being a waitress). I always tip at least 15% but usually 20% unless the wait service is noticeably irresponsible. (A very few of the high end restaurants here note on their menus & bills that they do pay a fair wage to waitpersons & tipping isn't necessary.)

Knowing someone who is financially ok but is a chronic bad tipper, or doesn't tip at all, or yells & denigrates at service workers like cab drivers, etc., is a character tell to me, I know they are actually a bully & a pretty low-class, nasty individual.

However I do draw the line at non-waitpersons who draw a better salary but put out the "tip cup" at the cash register they simply stand at, this is a worker/management issue.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,430,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Knowing someone who is financially ok but is a chronic bad tipper...
Guilty as charged. If you don't like your working conditions, talk to your boss. If you don't like your pay, talk to your boss.

If you own a business, it's YOUR responsibility to pay your employees, not MINE. Tipping in America is out of control, and it's getting worse. It's no different than a redistribution of wealth.

Without getting into politics, I didn't vote for the last President that wanted to "fundamentally change America".

Old Today, 01:11 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,605,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Guilty as charged. If you don't like your working conditions, talk to your boss. If you don't like your pay, talk to your boss.

If you own a business, it's YOUR responsibility to pay your employees, not MINE. Tipping in America is out of control, and it's getting worse. It's no different than a redistribution of wealth.

Without getting into politics, I didn't vote for the last President that wanted to "fundamentally change America".
He seems nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement