U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

3,701 posts, read 1,879,781 times

Advertisements

We use various military discounts (husband is disabled vet), ask for discounts when we eat out - typically just Chick-fil-a, husband gets medications from VA and also his little pension for his disabilities, we pay no property tax because of his status as disabled.

I shop almost exclusively on ebay or shopgoodwill.com, poshmark which I love - received a few stinkers but not many. I HATE SHOPPING in a B&M store so this works. Also find deals on Amazon. Just bought furniture on-line last week so we shall see how THAT works out....

VA has designated husband as "homebound" as he certainly is so we stay home a LOT and use Netflix and Amazon Prime for entertainment. I bought a 75" tv for him for Christmas last year so it is like being in a theater.

Also use VETTIX for free tickets to local shows occasionally - mainly for symphony shows (IM me for info), eat at a home quite a bit. I don't cook much and do use quite a bit of prepared foods from Costco.

Husband insists of tending to the lawn which irks me due to his ill-health. I do the cleaning. We have no household help but I am considering getting a cleaning lady a couple times a month. Would have to sacrifice some of my ebay money tho...so...

We downsized to one car to save on insurance, gas, etc. We are always together anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

568 posts, read 269,298 times
We don't spend a great deal of money. We don't go on vacations because we live near the beach and can go when we want. I don't like to shop and only do so when we actually need something. We seldom eat out because our food at home is better, cheaper and healthier. We don't buy costly coffee drinks from places like Starbucks, we have a machine at home and can make our own very cheap. We enjoy life's simple pleasures like watching the birds, we live in a world class birding area. We enjoy packing a picnic lunch and spending the day on the beach in the cooler months, cookouts, a game of scrabble or card games with friends. We don't have cable, we pay a reasonable price for internet and $20.00 a month for our streaming service that offers over 50 channels. We don't buy a paper, we can get our news online free. We do enjoy festivals and go when we can.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
Trakfone $10 a month everybody else $45
You can use your own phone with trakfone SIM card kit or buy their cheapie phone
WiFi share with a good neighbor and split cost

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,318,532 times
Having been mostly frugal up until retirement, I do find it hard to overspend on anything that I can get for a better price. I do go to Publix often on senior discount day, though we shop there even if it isn’t that day, also I try to stock up when they have their buy one get one free specials. What I do is carefully check expiration dates and only buy what we really like. I use Bed Bath and beyond coupons on such things as replacing coffee makers and towels (I hate ratty towels). We also use “cash back” and high point credit cards for almost all purchases, paying them off, never carrying a balance. We do not scrimp when we dine out (which is often) but we do split appetizers and desert, and usually take home half of our entrees, which are usually way too large, for lunch or dinner the next day. We also buy reliable cars new, and keep them for a very long time, do regular maintenance, only replacing them when repairs or safety require it.

That said we are indulging ourselves in retirement. We have a much higher spendable income than we did while working. If not now—-when? We take our kids on fun trips and indulge them also. Time together is worth every penny. But we do get cash back from our cards, lol.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

1,612 posts, read 1,274,747 times
Like when folks order one beverage for 2 or more people and share it. Something I wouldn't do. If you can't afford the beverages, drink water or better yet stay home.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thank you for that late-breaking news flash.

I'm an atheist and I support the Salvation Army.
Same here as they help people versus preach to them.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

177 posts, read 65,910 times
TMobile, maybe?

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 1,548,932 times
We stretched our retirement dollars by spending those years somewhere far less expensive. We have a beachfront condo in So. America. It's so nice right here, I don't need to leave unless it's a big trip!

No car, no mortgage, no debt, almost no property tax or HC costs. Not having a car removes a lot of spending "temptation", LOL. We don't have cable or any services besides Netflix. $15 data fee for phone.

It's a drastic choice that most wouldn't want, but now we can afford to travel to Europe every year.

As was said, everyone's "wants" are different. Neither of us likes shopping or cares about clothes or possessions, so it makes that saving easy. Restaurants are mediocre here so we save that experience for travel times.

DH likes music, so we shipped down his piano and 3 guitars. I have my Kindle and like to cook and bicycle or walk (or land-sail) on the beach. All free activity. Even have a small veg garden.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoAmero View Post
Because the cheap coffee made at home never tastes as good to me. Starbucks, Peet's, Philz, - all good places go get some coffee, hang out, read, and listen to some music. It's the experience, not just the coffee.

Not so much Panera. That stuff is more like really weak dishwater.
If you can have an enjoyable experience for $4 that is a pretty good thing.

Quote:
As far as looking for senior discounts: I worked really hard for the last couple decades while I was in the "accumulation" phase. Now that I've reached retirement, I'd like to enjoy some of it. I'm not talking about going crazy and blowing through my savings, but if I'm going to travel, I'm not going to skimp on the accomodations anymore. I've started flying first class for the comfort of having more room and better service. But I still search for the best 1st class deal I can find price-wise. I'm not really a resort guy, but no more cheap motels either. I'm more apt to get a nice updated condo with a beautiful ocean view. Same with merchandise. If I have to replace electronics or furniture, I'm going to shell out for the quality stuff because it will usually last longer.
My question really wasn't intended for anyone to skip out or scrimp on anything. It's more about how does one do those things for less. (and other things)

Quote:
Otherwise, why did I work all those extra hours and put away all the savings in the first place?

I understand that not everybody is in the same position financially, but no matter the income level it's possible to be frugal AND enjoy the fruits of all those years of labor.
v

There you go. Just because I have the money and I'm going to spend it, if there is a way to spend less, I'm all for that.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

79,556 posts, read 33,727,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Same here as they help people versus preach to them.
OT and I will not pursue this topic after I note this. My daughter has a good friend that has two moms. When they first came to town they came with their car and little else. When they turned to the Salvation Army for a place to stay they were turned away. (preached to)

My daughter doesn't like for me to take our old things to the Salvation Army any longer. I've found a more inclusive place.

https://www.latrobestreetmission.org/

They turn away no one. Their second hand store doesn't have the selection that the S.A. does nor the greed of Goodwill. I'll bet there is a similar place in many cities.

I've dropped off food as needed and will volunteer there upon retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement