U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:44 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,210,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Oh, I wouldn't change anything in my life around this guy. If I had the fortune to spend time with him, he'd be a bad idea for a boyfriend (but probably a cool time!) but nothing else would change. And I'm 66, he's 60, a charming smart bad idea. My kinda guy.

When you said "bad idea" I was thinking he was 23 or so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 03:56 PM

1,592 posts, read 589,695 times
BDL --

I did not remember your house is in the historic district! That's great! Makes it nice to take a walk around and see interesting buildings vs newer tract homes. We actually do live in a tract home, so when we take walks I generally am looking to see what everyone has planted. And we live close to a big park, so we have options for walking.

I love Aspen trees! I would have likely planted them too. Sounds like things are working out well.

-- Hollyhock

Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 PM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
BDL --

I did not remember your house is in the historic district! That's great! Makes it nice to take a walk around and see interesting buildings vs newer tract homes. We actually do live in a tract home, so when we take walks I generally am looking to see what everyone has planted. And we live close to a big park, so we have options for walking.

I love Aspen trees! I would have likely planted them too. Sounds like things are working out well.

-- Hollyhock
There are basically no tract homes here in town. The few remaining mobiles have been grandfathered in. On my little block, which was an empty scruffy field for decades, the 7,000 foot lots are zoned for a house and an accessory dwelling unit (up to 800 sq.ft.) I didn't understand, and couldn't afford it, but most people have built very interesting alpine-type houses with an accessory unit or apartment over a garage. The one tract-style house looks like it fell in from New Jersey. My immediate neighbor built a workshop with an apartment over it- everything square and boxy with a hot tub on the upstairs deck, wild tile colors all over. At first I was horrified then I started to like it. The permit people will let you build anything you want. As long as they like it.

The town park is two blocks away, with the bandstand and all. It's very nice being in town. Do remember that there are maybe 900 people in the whole town area, and some 5,000 in the whole county. One traffic light, and that was controversial.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:12 PM

468 posts, read 429,194 times
Enjoyed reading the update. Glad to see you doing well - enjoying the present, adjusting to the challenges, planning for the future. Your attitude is inspirational. All the best!

Old 07-20-2019, 06:17 PM

258 posts, read 478,575 times
I rarely post but have been following your journey for quite a while. I'm thrilled for you and the dogs that you are where you want to be and living the type of life you want! That's a Dream Come True! It's gratifying to read GOOD news! All the best!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:04 PM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times
Good to hear, BDL. Especially about Tobasco.

Sounds like everything is working out.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 PM

3,427 posts, read 3,981,727 times
This is off the cuff, since I don't have cable and watch this when pet sitting, but are you familiar with Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet? The show is on Animal Planet, I think only on weekends? He and a crew go to all kinds of wildlife and other exotic sanctuaries helping the non-profits with medical needs for the surrendered/rescued animals. Thought maybe he might be near to or have visited your horse place.

I am so happy for you in your retired life. A true success story in retirement. Wishing you better health so you can enjoy the rest of your retirement comfortably.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM

11,285 posts, read 8,459,734 times
I rode a copper colored QH growing up. I forget the lineage. One of the best ever. Maybe it will come to me. POCO BUENO!

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a woMAN.
That and bbq. Keep it up and you'll be right as rain in no time!

Last edited by hunterseat; Yesterday at 12:35 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
This is off the cuff, since I don't have cable and watch this when pet sitting, but are you familiar with Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet? The show is on Animal Planet, I think only on weekends? He and a crew go to all kinds of wildlife and other exotic sanctuaries helping the non-profits with medical needs for the surrendered/rescued animals. Thought maybe he might be near to or have visited your horse place.

I am so happy for you in your retired life. A true success story in retirement. Wishing you better health so you can enjoy the rest of your retirement comfortably.
Thank you. I've heard of this vet. I think he's more on the Front Range area (as are most people!) and I'm on the Western Slope. My own vet tech goes to the Indian reservations once a month with Soul Dog Foundation and they do hundreds of free spay and neuters. Just haven't gotten on TV yet!

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

6,343 posts, read 3,596,178 times
A bandstand in town. That brings back memories of evenings in the park with music. Hope that's an option for you if you enjoy it.

Here's a piece of unsolicited advice - wild paintbrush flowers. I've enjoyed driving through that area of the Midwest/West and spotting those little clumps of brightness along the way. Maybe they would do well in your yard.

And chokecherries! Oh, you will have birds to sing for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or