U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM

6,314 posts, read 4,762,537 times

Advertisements

Does selling the house and taking off full time in an RV for a couple of years count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 AM

79 posts, read 7,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, I wouldn't either.

ENP is an elephant sanctuary. They buy elephants from people who use (and abuse) them, then set them free to live out their lives as elephants.

They have one of those on Samui.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Does selling the house and taking off full time in an RV for a couple of years count?
Aye, that counts. A lot of people have done that. I couldn't sell this house though, and the garden, and the views.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 AM

8,215 posts, read 11,935,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
We've done a lot of travel already - Australia, various countries in Europe, 2 years in Uganda. So we enjoy just relaxing during the winter now. It's exhausting to keep going from hotel to hotel and living out of a suitcase. Our Thailand home feels like our own home.
That's why we like cruises; you unpack once and your hotel travels with you. When we first retired, we took a 30-day cruise from San Diego to and around the Hawaiian Islands, and then south to Tahiti, Bora Bora, and the rest of French Polynesia. We've also taken a 30-day cruise from L.A. around South America to Brazil, with stops along the way in Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay.

When we took a trip to Australia a few years ago, we combined cruises with overland trips. The trip was almost two months long and we started it with a few days in Fiji to break up the long flight, and then we went on to Sydney where we stayed in a hotel for a few days. We then boarded a 14-day cruise to New Zealand, with various stops on both the South and North islands, before disembarking in Auckland. We then drove around the North Island for a couple of weeks, before flying back to Sydney. Once there, we boarded another ship for a cruise up the Gold Coast to the Great Barrier Reef and then back down to Sydney once again. This time though, we went straight to the airport and flew to Adelaide, where we boarded The Ghan, for a two-day train trip through the Outback to Alice Springs. We stayed in the Outback for a few more days before flying home. (This time stopping in L.A. for a couple of days before the cross-country trip to Miami.)

Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,548,932 times
We don't like to be rushed on our trips, so stay as long as possible in various places. We did a 2-week cruise to Italy last year, then spent a month there.

Same thing last spring but to Greece for 2 months.

This winter, to Spain and Portugal for 3 months. One 2-month beach apt, one 2-week beach apt.

That's what retirement is all about! It's cheaper for us, than visiting the U.S. (boring at this point) and we've "seen it all", anyway.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 AM

4,775 posts, read 3,206,035 times
I never wanted to be a snowbird but my husband doesn't like winter. So every January we go off to Puerto Rico for about 6 weeks. This past winter I talked him into going for only 5. We stay with his sister who lives there. We used to have our own place but just sold it.

Cat

Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's why we like cruises; you unpack once and your hotel travels with you. When we first retired, we took a 30-day cruise from San Diego to and around the Hawaiian Islands, and then south to Tahiti, Bora Bora, and the rest of French Polynesia. We've also taken a 30-day cruise from L.A. around South America to Brazil, with stops along the way in Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay.

When we took a trip to Australia a few years ago, we combined cruises with overland trips. The trip was almost two months long and we started it with a few days in Fiji to break up the long flight, and then we went on to Sydney where we stayed in a hotel for a few days. We then boarded a 14-day cruise to New Zealand, with various stops on both the South and North islands, before disembarking in Auckland. We then drove around the North Island for a couple of weeks, before flying back to Sydney. Once there, we boarded another ship for a cruise up the Gold Coast to the Great Barrier Reef and then back down to Sydney once again. This time though, we went straight to the airport and flew to Adelaide, where we boarded The Ghan, for a two-day train trip through the Outback to Alice Springs. We stayed in the Outback for a few more days before flying home. (This time stopping in L.A. for a couple of days before the cross-country trip to Miami.)
Sounds good, but we aren't interested in cruises. Maybe a 2 week river cruise in Europe on one of those ships that only hold 100-150, but not one of those big ships.

We've visited Australia but stayed with in laws.

On a recent trip to Ireland we rented a house in one area for a week, and in another area for another week.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM

2,391 posts, read 7,775,058 times
I arrived in Leipzig, Germany in May. It is in the middle of Germany, and pretty close to the middle of Europe. It will be my home base for trips around Europe for the next year or 2. There are excellent train connections in all directions, and the local airport (15 minute train ride from downtown) has flights to destinations all over Europe and even to some places in the middle east.

This part of eastern Germany is much less expensive than bigger cities in western Europe. I speak German so it is easy for me to live here. I arrived on a tourist visa, but I just got a residence permit that is valid for 2 years. It was actually easier than I imagined, but I got some really good advice from many others who had been through the process. I am retired with a private pension and monthly bond dividends to live on, so it is a non-working residence permit.

Now that I'm a legal resident, I opened a local bank account so that I can make electronic payments in Euro for an apartment lease. I've been renting a furnished vacation apartment without a lease, but I can get a much better deal leasing my own place. I have been looking in the nearby, smaller city of Halle and there are plenty of places for under 500 Euro per month for 50 square meters (500 sq feet), including everything except internet and electric. No car needed here - I have my bicycle to get around, and public transportation is incredible. I love the intercity trains too. If I really need a car, there are tons of car sharing options to use a car by the hour or day, or even a few days.

If the winter gets too dark or cold, I can go to southern Spain or the Canary Islands for a few months. I speak Spanish also, so that helps. Other places on my list to visit are Greece & Crete, the Balkans, Romania, Poland, the Baltic Sea countries (by ferry boat maybe?). The good thing about my residence permit in Germany is I can visit anywhere in the EU zone for as long as I want, as long as I maintain my home base address in Germany.

I was in Germany for almost 4 years when I was in the US Army in the mid 1970s. At that time, I had little money and limited free time to travel, so I never spent much time outside of western Germany. During my working years, never had time for long trips to Europe either. Now I can visit all the places on my list in Europe without having to take a long, tiring trans-Atlantic flight.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,430,236 times
Did a long bicycle trip last year across several countries in a retirement trial run. I came back for a few more months of paychecks, but am finally retiring for real. Will probably do a lot of short trips in the US for the next year until I have enough miles to get overseas free again. Would like to ride some of the less expensive Baltic countries next. At some point, if my health goes, might consider an electric bike.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Did a long bicycle trip last year across several countries in a retirement trial run. I came back for a few more months of paychecks, but am finally retiring for real. Will probably do a lot of short trips in the US for the next year until I have enough miles to get overseas free again. Would like to ride some of the less expensive Baltic countries next. At some point, if my health goes, might consider an electric bike.
We bought electric bikes 4 years ago and love them! You can easily ride 50 miles in a day even with all the hills in Scotland. Lots of great bike trails here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or