U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

933 posts, read 479,076 times

Advertisements

Our international trips are usually 3-4 week minimums so we can enjoy the experience and not be rushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 738,820 times
Three weeks seems to be the max for me- then I get homesick no matter how much I love the destination. When I took the India tour I added Nepal as an extension because it takes so long to get there and adjust to the time zone you may as well stay awhile. I'm likely to spend 3 weeks in a base in Europe next year (most likely Munich) but that will probably be enough.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

79 posts, read 9,751 times
We spend Dec - Feb in Thailand. By early to mid-Feb I'm getting tired of the heat and ready to go home to Scotland. By mid-March I'm wishing for Thailand's heat!

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
And instead of doing a 2 week visit to see my family in the US, we stay for a month.
Im glad were not related.

Were not, right?

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
I note that virtually all of the answers to this are "We." Hope to hear from some who are not.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I note that virtually all of the answers to this are "We." Hope to hear from some who are not.
I just spent a month in Portugal solo, my latest infatuation, so I'm trying to introduce myself to the entire country now. I had been to Lisbon previously & really liked it & I've half a notion of retiring abroad or perhaps snowbirding or whatever. Started at the Algarve, the southern coast, visiting Faro & Lagos & then headed up to Lisbon, Cascais & Sintra. I liked all of them but would only consider Lagos, Lisbon & Cascais for extended stays.

This was only half the trip I had planned, still had the northern half of the country's coastline to Porto & Coimbra to go but as mentioned after a month of different hotels & learning new towns week after week it got a bit old after the third week. Having made a point of saving tons of frequent flier miles in years' past I could just get a one way ticket over & then get another when I felt like heading back, no real schedule otherwise.

Going solo forces you to be more outgoing when you want to discover a place & meet folks, sometimes as a couple it's easy to be self sufficient I think. I also planned the month around several local/national festivals for built in activities.

I will return to Portugal later this year or early next & after that settle on the places I prefer the best for future plans.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,685 posts, read 40,050,764 times
2-3 weeks don't cut it for me (I like 'relationship building travel')

Have a wonderful home, but Never homesick (always a vagabond) Parents traveled a lot (truckdrivers + district reps)

Solo ~ 1/2 the time (and more is preferred, by each...) We meet up in destinations but often travel separate (by choice / interests / schedule)

One likes to camp, one doesn't
One like museums, one likes outdoors.
One like cruises, one does not.
Both have eldercare roles (and really needy siblings)
WAY different family / contact styles, especially 'visiting' (Long vs short) fast vs slow.

Both (each) have a great time traveling (solo or together) Together is a LOT more W-o-r-k!!!

Expect to travel through age 80 if possible, then 'retreat' to a favorite retreat (destination).

Many hosts we have stayed with this yr do 100+ days cruising / traveling / yr. currently we (or solo) do 200+.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
My husband and I spend our winters in Thailand in a rented house and have done so for the past 5 years.

And instead of doing a 2 week visit to see my family in the US, we stay for a month.

Anyone else?
Retired 8 years now, we usually plan trips that last between 10-30 days. Mostly domestic (in USA), never cruises.

Old Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Im glad were not related.

Were not, right?

We spend a week at brother's, 2 weeks at sisters, and a week with my son and granddaughters at a lake house. So we don't annoy anyone for tooooo long!

Old Today, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Longest solo trip I've taken was 2 weeks and I've done several for a week or less. I would not give up long trips if widowed unless I didn't have good health and fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or