U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,604,061 times

Advertisements

I don't travel anywhere outside my region June-July-August & haven't for several years now. The new worldwide explosion of middle class people, a good thing for everyone, plus lower airfares are bad thing for being a tourist during the peak summer season: crazy crowds everywhere. If I had to travel then I would pick places that most people wouldn't even consider - for exactly that reason.

I do have a large extended family in Ireland & occasionally make an exception for that since I will be spending time with them in midland areas mostly, but the western coast areas that I love will be crowded with buses & looky-loos jamming the roads & BnBs then. Couldn't get into Newgrange last summer trip - 4 hour wait & that was 4 years ago.

Spring/Fall are choice times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 157 times
I'm lucky because my job allowed me to take off a month at a time, so every other year my wife and I would take a month and go to Europe or, more recently, southeast Asia.

I'm retiring at the end of this year, so our Vietnam trip earlier this year was probably the last of those. The plan is to turn our sights towards seeing the USA starting next year, probably in an RV of some sort.

I would have gone crazy without our big vacations. It wasn't just the trip, but the planning. I would start planning 6 months out and that was almost as much fun as the trip. Almost.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 PM

13,430 posts, read 6,422,494 times
Lots of beautiful places in USA, my husband and I decided after the next two international trips, we will focus on seeing more places in USA.
Today my husband and I saw a live black bear swimming in Twin Lakes, near Mammoth
Lakes. Exciting, it’s our first sighting of a live black bear.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 AM

53 posts, read 37,345 times
When the kids were growing up, we did not go on that many vacations. As a part owner of a small business I was concerned about making sure we could send the kids to college. Well that has come and gone and we are now retired. Not filthy rich, but enough. The wife and I discovered cruising in 2013, and love it. I could sit on the balcony all day and just watch the water go by. Been on many more since then. The daughter and I are in the middle of a baseball stadium tour. We try to knock out 1-2 a year (she is working). Taking a break now as she is getting married, and our son and his wife have just had a baby. Our first grandson. But we'll pick the vacations backup next year.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:45 PM

24,026 posts, read 8,381,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
I can't imagine not being fascinated by seeing more of the world.
Different strokes for different folks. I can imagine it. I enjoy doing a lot of internet travels but the crowds, NOPE not for me, it's worse today and I don't need that at my 81 yrs. Plus I have OA issues and I feel best in my own home. And I believe a lot here are much younger in the retirement world...20 yrs makes a difference.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:47 PM

24,026 posts, read 8,381,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Lots of beautiful places in USA, my husband and I decided after the next two international trips, we will focus on seeing more places in USA.
Today my husband and I saw a live black bear swimming in Twin Lakes, near Mammoth
Lakes. Exciting, itís our first sighting of a live black bear.
That must have been a treat to see that...I understand the Mammoth slopes are closing this weekend...long ski season, lots of snow up there.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:07 PM

13,430 posts, read 6,422,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That must have been a treat to see that...I understand the Mammoth slopes are closing this weekend...long ski season, lots of snow up there.
I asked the locals and they still have some slopes at the tippy top.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:49 PM

80 posts, read 66,576 times
Oh, I was thinking for our 50th anniversary coming in november, PR is on my list! Hubby had a lumbar surgery and is getting better and i am having a prolapse surgery soon (joy). Hoping we are both able to go somewhere really different.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 PM

23,740 posts, read 17,696,480 times
I live in Tennessee. I went to Maine for a week in June. I'm sort of planning on a long weekend in Denver around Labor Day.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

117 posts, read 16,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I can imagine it. I enjoy doing a lot of internet travels but the crowds, NOPE not for me, it's worse today and I don't need that at my 81 yrs. Plus I have OA issues and I feel best in my own home. And I believe a lot here are much younger in the retirement world...20 yrs makes a difference.
It's possible to travel when it's not crowded. Many places are good in April/May or Sept/Oct. I am 67 and plan to travel as long as I'm healthy. If I slow down as I age I'll take coach trips or maybe even the dreaded cruises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement