U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:18 AM

262 posts, read 97,292 times

Advertisements

We tend to take a short vacation every year. It's nice to get away from home for a few days and spend the time in a different atmosphere. That satisfies our need to see someplace new. Most of our trips are within driving distance as we both hate the mess of airports.

A couple of years ago we did do a major trip from TX to CA. We took two weeks so the drive was not forced or difficult. It was nice, but too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:39 AM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 18 hours ago)

1,199 posts, read 392,086 times
We will go to Ireland and the UK to visit family.

Not often though.

Plenty to do home year round

Old Today, 08:06 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,318,532 times
We take a trip about every two months. But living where we do we feel we are on a constant vacation.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

41 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
When I was working the vacation experience was:

1) Friday 5 PM, race to airport
2) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
3) Sunday, 10PM, walk in the door and face plant on the carpet from exhaustion
4) Monday, 5AM, the traffic and weather guys start talking
5) That was relaxing
I'd adjust it:
2A) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
2B) Otherwise bored OR spending too much, eating too much, too many lines, or dealing with complaining kids, or too many bugs.

Besides, with Google Maps Street View, I can see just about anything in just about any city something it's hard to do flying there for a week or going on tour in a bus where you drive for four hours, get out, take a picture, get back on the bus, drive for five hours, get out take a picture, etc
Unless you rent a car, I'd prefer Street View.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

73 posts, read 7,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'd adjust it:
2A) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
2B) Otherwise bored OR spending too much, eating too much, too many lines, or dealing with complaining kids, or too many bugs.

Besides, with Google Maps Street View, I can see just about anything in just about any city something it's hard to do flying there for a week or going on tour in a bus where you drive for four hours, get out, take a picture, get back on the bus, drive for five hours, get out take a picture, etc
Unless you rent a car, I'd prefer Street View.
Sure, you can SEE anywhere on Google street view. But you can't taste the food, meet the people, hear the locals, do any outdoor activities, go INSIDE museums or other buildings of interest, you can't feel the sand beneath your feet, can't see the fish as you snorkel, feel the sea breeze as you sit on a beach drinking a fruity cocktail.

I'm not a fan of coach tours although we did it once 9 years ago and it was pretty good.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

41 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Sure, you can SEE anywhere on Google street view. But you can't taste the food, meet the people, hear the locals, do any outdoor activities, go INSIDE museums or other buildings of interest, you can't feel the sand beneath your feet, can't see the fish as you snorkel, feel the sea breeze as you sit on a beach drinking a fruity cocktail.

I'm not a fan of coach tours although we did it once 9 years ago and it was pretty good.
I live in Southern California. There isn't one food or dish or music or language or ethnicity I can't (I don't) experience within 69 minutes of my house. Everyone is a foreigner here. I don't need to see them - they came to see me. The beach is 12 minutes away. Most museum content is online. "Seeing" the statue of David is "good enough" - it's not worth it to travel to see it. Here's a perfect example: I've heard the Japanese are a relatively peaceful nation so for the heck of it, I went online to find the WORST, most DANGEROUS neighborhoods in Japan. I did a street view and sure enough, even those neighborhoods looked peaceful. Similarly, I wanted to see rough neighborhoods in other countries. See residential streets, schools, shopping centers, gas stations, extreme latitudes, ...I can see all those for free on street view. I have no desire to spend weeks and thousands of dollars to do otherwise. Living here I have no need to visit someplace warm and exotic in winter.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

7,325 posts, read 15,374,603 times
We have a small(er) travel trailer and we go on 7-20 day vacations several times from mid-March through October. Then we usually go down to the LA area to see our son 1-2x a year (driving for most trips because we take our dog, flying if it is a shorter trip). Most years we rent a beach house for a week or two in the summer with several other couples that we don't otherwise see very often - a good way to keep up the friendship with distant friends.

The last couple years we have also done "museum" trips to all the US big cities with good museums - we usually do those early/mid spring or fall, out of the "rush" times. The next "museum" trip is to go back to London, I think. You can never spend too much time in the V & A and the other museums in the area. There are several places in Europe that I have only been briefly as part of a trip that I would like to go back to and spend more time.

When we both worked high-stress jobs, we tended to spend our vacations in Hawaii on a beach somewhere, soaking the stress out of our bones, but as our stress level decreased we needed less down time.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Today, 08:48 AM

13,317 posts, read 6,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I live in Southern California. There isn't one food or dish or music or language or ethnicity I can't (I don't) experience within 69 minutes of my house. Everyone is a foreigner here. I don't need to see them - they came to see me. The beach is 12 minutes away. Most museum content is online. "Seeing" the statue of David is "good enough" - it's not worth it to travel to see it. Here's a perfect example: I've heard the Japanese are a relatively peaceful nation so for the heck of it, I went online to find the WORST, most DANGEROUS neighborhoods in Japan. I did a street view and sure enough, even those neighborhoods looked peaceful. Similarly, I wanted to see rough neighborhoods in other countries. See residential streets, schools, shopping centers, gas stations, extreme latitudes, ...I can see all those for free on street view. I have no desire to spend weeks and thousands of dollars to do otherwise. Living here I have no need to visit someplace warm and exotic in winter.
I live in SoCal too, maybe 5-10 minutes from the beach. But you will miss the best lobsters if you donít go to Maine. Just one example.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

41 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I live in SoCal too, maybe 5-10 minutes from the beach. But you will miss the best lobsters if you don’t go to Maine. Just one example.
You're probably right but it's not worth it to me to spend thousands, deal with traffic get to airports, sit on a plane for hours, get my time zone screwed up, wait in lines, etc just to have 10% better lobster or 10% better beer in Germany or 10% better sushi in Tokyo or seeing a famous painting in person. Maybe I'm lucky to have low standards.

It's just may be me, but in the context of the thread "Does anyone STILL go on vacation" I think I have a good point to the extent that you can have a 90% solution for practically nothing due to the internet.

Also I think women more than men like to travel. (Just watched "Ordinary People" last night and remember Mary Tyler Moore wanted to travel and Donald Sutherland didn't?) Men are most often stuck with the planning and scheduling hassle; and men, if they're working, are away from home the most so being at home is desirable. Traditionally, women have been at home during the day more and probably have more of a desire to "get out".

Old Today, 09:14 AM

166 posts, read 44,579 times
Yes... nice to get away occasionally. Being retired means being able to take advantage of last minute deals. We booked a cruise 3 days ago and will be sailing on Tuesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement