Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 01:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
A cruise less than a week is a waste of time and money. Usually you still have to pay to fly and lose half the first day getting on the ship and the last day everyone has to get off early in the morning.
I think that's not necessarily a given.

I don't fly, so we've never flown to a port to catch a cruise ship. Some have departed from the Port of San Francisco, just 45 or so miles from us.

There's plenty of room for differing opinions. Some hate sea days. I love them. Can't get enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
We recently decided to keep vacationing every year at the same time we've always taken our vacations, departing on my birthday in September.

I think it's going on be on Amtrak in the sleepers, with plenty of stops along the way. Amtrak's CEO has vowed to eliminate the long-distance routes that many have depended on for vacation travel, so this may be our last chance. He wants to go to Carlsbad Caverns, I want to go to Cape Canaveral. Neither of us wants to drive.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
When I was working the vacation experience was:

1) Friday 5 PM, race to airport
2) A week of non-stop we need to do this, eat here, see that, go there
3) Sunday, 10PM, walk in the door and face plant on the carpet from exhaustion
4) Monday, 5AM, the traffic and weather guys start talking
5) That was relaxing
lol. I do have memories of needing a vacation to recover from my vacation. Especially if it involved jet lag. Later, I started taking vacations much closer to home, that had no fixed plans, just spontaneous exploring, with plenty of downtime. That works much better.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Australian rock lobster is the best I've ever had.
Maybe, but Maine lobsters can be accessible for $99 one way from LAX. I won’t bother to go far. Somehow my husband is not too keen about Australia, I only want to go there for the South Sea Pearls. Not a good enough reason to fly there.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:37 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
We live in a vacation city so we’re 15 to 20 minutes away from places folks from all over the country pay good money and time to visit. When we get the urge to travel it’s usually places like San Francisco or Vegas that are just an hour or so away by air.

We used to travel frequently to SE Asia where my wife’s from but the 15 hour flight times, worrying about connecting flights and security checks just got to be too much. And then there was the jet lag. Home sweet home or places that are comfortably near by.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We live in a vacation city so we’re 15 to 20 minutes away from places folks from all over the country pay good money and time to visit. When we get the urge to travel it’s usually places like San Francisco or Vegas that are just an hour or so away by air.

We used to travel frequently to SE Asia where my wife’s from but the 15 hour flight times, worrying about connecting flights and security checks just got to be too much. And then there was the jet lag. Home sweet home or places that are comfortably near by.
We too enjoy SD many times / year. Wish we would have bought a place on Coronado 40 yrs ago (with a spare apartment for us)

SE Asia... I 'LUV the directs SFO>SIN or LAX>SIN. can choose 10 AM or 10 PM, so I do the night flights each way. Less Jet lag, no wasted days / extra hotels (arrive Asia at 7AM)! Arrive back to USA at 10 PM. No transit. Changi is a NICE place to transit!!! if headed to another SE Asia destination.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:46 PM

109 posts, read 78,638 times
First couple of years in retirement were consumed by medical issues. Once resolved we entered the go-go years with 2-3 vacations a year (okay 4 this year) with another 3-4 long weekend getaways at beach, mountains, etc. When we were younger vacations meant skiing, hiking, kids to Disney, etc. Now we enjoy cruises or tours with an agency where they plan transportation, hotels, etc. Going to keep going until we can't anymore.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Sure, you can SEE anywhere on Google street view. But you can't taste the food, meet the people, hear the locals, do any outdoor activities, go INSIDE museums or other buildings of interest, you can't feel the sand beneath your feet, can't see the fish as you snorkel, feel the sea breeze as you sit on a beach drinking a fruity cocktail.

I'm not a fan of coach tours although we did it once 9 years ago and it was pretty good.
We have gone on several coach tours. Some stay 2-3 days in each city, plus offer tour guides—one general overall tour director and usually a city guide in each location. I like that they also have nice coaches and even toilet facilities on board!

Have never been driven 5 hours just to take a picture!

Old 07-21-2019, 05:22 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Yes, a cruise and a couple of trips to an American destination. Although will be going to Portugal this Winter.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Back in February we cruised down to the Caribbean. We celebrated birthdays 85 and 84. When we got home we agreed that that was the last one.

Besides we live where millions of people go for vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement