U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 PM

325 posts, read 512,588 times

Advertisements

I have the terminal degree for my profession. No need for more college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 09:15 PM

9,777 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
I hear that a lot, from many people. I do think there has been a significant shift in the college experience and student expectations. The days of assigning a paper, and expecting students to pretty much know how to write one are over. Now students expect rubrics, examples, points for stapling their papers, etc. They often need more support to be successful.

I would also agree that, more recently, there has been more of a shift away from tolerance and toward silencing (some) others. However, I would have to say that comes from pressure from students as often, or even more often, than it comes from pressure from instructors.
Which is why I don't think I'd consider teaching college these days. That mandatory hand-holding and overgrown sense of entitlement would drive me batsh**

I taught college courses back in the day, and loved doing it, though there was some of that sense of entitlement among a few students even then. And I've been approached about teaching as an adjunct instructor at our local community college-probably general biology and medical terminology. Don't think I will do it, though.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:35 PM

31,775 posts, read 20,055,678 times
I totally would go back to college if it weren't so darn expensive. I looked into for photography and Spanish classes. Our tax guy said we could get a credit of a couple thousand for classes, but we are gearing up for a move.

In lieu of that there are so many options. I've taken MasterClasses, and classes from other online sources, the Military offers on line courses, but I haven't checked that out. YouTube is great, I use them for crochet, sewing, and hair cutting type stuff. I do have audio classes for languages. The military bases has craft classes, DH is taking framing (making shadow boxes) and I am taking sewing. If we work it into our schedule we want to take pottery on the wheel.

And books!! Can't forget books!!

But if I could take unlimited free college courses, I'd be there in a second.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

56,275 posts, read 54,731,851 times
This thread reminded me of something. The secretarial school from which I graduated guaranteed all graduates free lifetime shorthand and typing brush-up classes.

The school still exists, but it has morphed into a two-year business college. I wonder what they'd say if I tried to contact them and asked for a shorthand brushup class.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM

16,389 posts, read 10,371,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This thread reminded me of something. The secretarial school from which I graduated guaranteed all graduates free lifetime shorthand and typing brush-up classes.

The school still exists, but it has morphed into a two-year business college. I wonder what they'd say if I tried to contact them and asked for a shorthand brushup class.

I think you should just to see how they respond. I'm guessing they'll ask what shorthand is.

If you do ( I double dog dare ya!) let us know.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

8,847 posts, read 7,736,397 times
My first degree was largely a waste of time and money. Why waste more time and money.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

2,165 posts, read 742,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
I hear that a lot, from many people. I do think there has been a significant shift in the college experience and student expectations. The days of assigning a paper, and expecting students to pretty much know how to write one are over. Now students expect rubrics, examples, points for stapling their papers, etc. They often need more support to be successful.
How could I forget- I recently ventured into a local School for Ministry to get a lay preaching license but haven't taken a class in awhile- I need a total of 6 and have taken 2 and audited one. My travel schedule keeps interfering. (It's all done at home except for an intensive weekend of classroom instruction.)

I was a bit panicked about writing papers. As a Math major I didn't have to and, since I got out of college in 1975, so many things had changed! The professors pointed us to MLA (Modern Library Association) standards. VERY explicit on font size, margins, bibliography formats, etc. Some teachers had strict limitations on the Internet as a source (only refereed journals, for example). I love this group, though- classes are small, fellow students all have different histories and different levels of familiarity with the material. I've gotten As in the first two classes I took for credit so I guess I have the paper-writing thing down.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
I'd love to. I've thought about going back to get an MBA, but it doesn't seem cost-effective anymore.

Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

12,079 posts, read 5,170,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd love to. I've thought about going back to get an MBA, but it doesn't seem cost-effective anymore.
Good grief, you're only in your early 30s and single. Going back to school for you in order to improve yourself or your income seems like a no brainer if it's something you want to do. Maybe even start to think a little bit about putting some of that beer money into furthering your education, just saying....

Last edited by marino760; Yesterday at 07:31 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

13,360 posts, read 6,390,348 times
I pay about $500 per Semester to take 3 art classes, I’m technically a full timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or