U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Good grief, you're only in your early 30s and single. Going back to school for you in order to improve yourself or your income seems like a no brainer if it's something you want to do. Maybe even start to think a little bit about putting some of that beer money into furthering your education, just saying....
Getting the accelerated MBA from my close by "regional state U" is $30,000.

https://www.etsu.edu/cbat/departments/amba/cost.php

That's not inexpensive. It's not going to help me earn a promotion locally, or help my income. If I move, sure, it might help, but I'm not going to jump $30,000 a year with a MBA.

It's a lot of student loan debt I'd rather avoid and I'm not convinced the ROI would even be positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 591,812 times
Yes! But I would not go for credit. I love to learn and like people of all ages, and enjoy classroom settings. I would not rule out some of the free classes found on the Internet either.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 AM

7,302 posts, read 8,681,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd love to. I've thought about going back to get an MBA, but it doesn't seem cost-effective anymore.
It's cost-effective if you can get someone else to pay for it. I got mine paid about 95% through tuition reimbursement benefits from my company. It took me 4.5 yrs, going part-time at night, as I was working full-time. It felt like a long slog at times, but I'm glad I did it. I needed an MBA to be able to compete for the jobs I wanted in my career. Had I not needed the advanced degree I wouldn't have gotten one; it's a big commitment.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 AM

7,433 posts, read 3,066,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I know this is retirement, but is there any situation wherein you'd go to college again? And how would you feel about it?
For what? I already know everything! I get an education every day on my boat fishing.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:12 AM

13,397 posts, read 6,404,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
For what? I already know everything! I get an education every day on my boat fishing.
I failed at boat fishing yesterday, I caught no trout. It helps if I had a fishing rod, but I was nervous I could wait for hours and ended up with nothing, so I didn’t try.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:31 AM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It's cost-effective if you can get someone else to pay for it. I got mine paid about 95% through tuition reimbursement benefits from my company. It took me 4.5 yrs, going part-time at night, as I was working full-time. It felt like a long slog at times, but I'm glad I did it. I needed an MBA to be able to compete for the jobs I wanted in my career. Had I not needed the advanced degree I wouldn't have gotten one; it's a big commitment.
Most companies only pay around $5,000 annually in tuition assistance. IIRC, there's some sort of regulatory/IRS barrier there. The student is still going to be paying the vast majority of the bill. An MBA or professional degree like that typically doesn't have the student aid available that someone pursuing a traditional MA/MS would have. Sure, it's only "another car payment," but I really doubt that I'd ever get my money back.

I would love to go back and pursue a master's in my undergraduate field, economics, but I have to work for a living, and it's probably not financially viable for me. One of my biggest complaints with a traditional graduate program is that many basically require someone to leave their paid, full-time job to go to school full-time. As you get older, that becomes more and more difficult. If you don't do directly after undergrad, life happens and it's difficult to go back. Even then, an employment gap is likely going to harm you more than any benefit that would come from the advanced degree.

The problem is that any sort of further education is costly with no guaranteed reward at the end of the tunnel. I'm on a team of eight right now. At least two have graduate degrees. It just doesn't seem to be a big help in my line of work.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 AM

4,786 posts, read 3,210,692 times
In my family, college was always a given even though only one of my sisters went to college in the traditional manner (right after high school, living in the dorm). The rest of us just took a few classes here and there but some of us eventually went full time (like me) later. The thing is, our parents never pushed us-it was just something that we all knew that we would do sooner or later. All of now have at least an A.A./A.S. My late sister was only one who achieved her masters (besides both our parents).

Cat

Old 07-22-2019, 11:48 AM

13,397 posts, read 6,404,610 times
Quote:
Getting the accelerated MBA from my close by "regional state U" is $30,000.

https://www.etsu.edu/cbat/departments/amba/cost.php

That's not inexpensive. It's not going to help me earn a promotion locally, or help my income. If I move, sure, it might help, but I'm not going to jump $30,000 a year with a MBA.

It's a lot of student loan debt I'd rather avoid and I'm not convinced the ROI would even be positive.
The MBA is not what it used to be, even the top 15 MBA programs. My daughter’s roommate is suspending her program for one year, the quality of the people in these programs has decreasing.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM

3,522 posts, read 1,559,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not everyone is like you. I didn't love going to college 40 years ago, and that hasn't changed. Why would I force myself to sit in a class room when I could be doing other things that I enjoy? I don't get any kind of thrill or happiness being on a campus nor would I feel special or younger. I don't like deadlines, doing homework and feeling obligated to be in class on a certain day at a certain time.
I'm glad you enjoy doing what you do, but don't think for a minute everyone needs to be like you or be less of a person in some way or need to be in a classroom to find happiness.
Thanks for saying this better than I could. Such judgement going on here!

I love to learn, but not in a classroom formal setting. We watch documentaries, have learning CDs, listen to TED talks, take Spanish classes. Travel is very educational.

Nothing wrong with "us people". Sheesh. Not everyone needs some set "structure" to learn.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM

7,302 posts, read 8,681,042 times
Quote:
Most companies only pay around $5,000 annually in tuition assistance. IIRC, there's some sort of regulatory/IRS barrier there. The student is still going to be paying the vast majority of the bill.
We had a yearly limit as well, I think it was somewhere in the $3k+ range, this was 20+ yrs ago so I don't remember exactly. I was able to take 2 classes per term within that limit, and that was really all I wanted to take since I was working and busy. I do know there was no way I was going to complete an MBA program in 2 to 3 years and could not do an accelerated program. I had figured it would be 5 yrs but I was able to get a couple classes waived because of my undergrad degree emphasis. Like I said, it was a long slog and it at times felt like I'd be in school forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or