U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,783,977 times

Advertisements

I've gone to community college and my dream was always to go full time to a university. I always figured I'd get a much better job if I did. Well, it's too late for that now. I'd still go back to college in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but I'd take classes in things that interested me instead of worrying about trying to get a degree or anything. I'd probably take at least one class a semester (or quarter), but I'm not fooling myself. I'll never be able to afford to do that, not with what it costs to even go to community college now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 04:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 5,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've gone to community college and my dream was always to go full time to a university. I always figured I'd get a much better job if I did. Well, it's too late for that now. I'd still go back to college in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but I'd take classes in things that interested me instead of worrying about trying to get a degree or anything. I'd probably take at least one class a semester (or quarter), but I'm not fooling myself. I'll never be able to afford to do that, not with what it costs to even go to community college now days.
You could look into Lifelong Learning if available in your area. Many of the instructors are retired professors and are teaching the same class that they taught years ago.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM

157 posts, read 161,304 times
I'm in the financial industry and have many letters after my last name, which took many painful years to earn.

And yet - I can't wait for the weekend when I turn off the spreadsheets, models, and quantitative analyses.

Because I get to go work with my hands - building things, working on my car, remodeling a house.

If I had it to do over again -- I would have gone to trade school and become an electrician or plumber. Maybe both. Then I would have started a business and grown it to a dozen markets.

Assuming a gross margin of 60% and a CAGR of 20%, then I can project a five-year cash flow of.....

....AAAGGGHH and I'm back at a desk doing the same thing all over again.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:08 PM

12,348 posts, read 12,569,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
unfair assumption on your part. Just because somebody isn't in school doesn't mean they're sitting in front of the tv.

just because they're (we're) not taking classes doesn't mean we're not learning.
I think it's a pretty fair assumption. I notice you didn't mention a single thing as an alternative. I submit if you are spending your time playing video games, it's the same thing as sitting in front of a TV.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM

12,348 posts, read 12,569,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe they didn't explain it correctly?

What is the purpose of algebra and why do they use those letters

You want to get to a solution and have to figure out the quantities or values that will get you there using a formula.

If i want to plant 20 rose bushes and i see they are having a sale of packs of 10 white and 5 pink. And i like both type. How many would i need to buy of each pack to make 20.

W(1) + P(2) = 20
A more relevant use of algebra is, if I want to buy a car for $15,000, have a 22% federal marginal tax rate, a 6% state income tax rate, but can deduct the federal taxes from my state taxes and the state taxes from my federal tax, how much money do I have to withdraw from my 401k?

That's a simple linear equation if you use algebra.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 PM

13,356 posts, read 25,630,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I think it's a pretty fair assumption. I notice you didn't mention a single thing as an alternative. I submit if you are spending your time playing video games, it's the same thing as sitting in front of a TV.
Please note that this part of the discussion began with my not attributing a quote that seemed to say one is either learning in a class or sitting in front of the TV. PAHippo responded to my error and there you have it. All a misunderstanding.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 3,992,195 times
No.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 PM

56,429 posts, read 54,821,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I think you should just to see how they respond. I'm guessing they'll ask what shorthand is.

If you do ( I double dog dare ya!) let us know.
I am not sure I can resist a double dog dare!

Old 07-23-2019, 12:17 AM

9,194 posts, read 3,038,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I know this is retirement, but is there any situation wherein you'd go to college again? And how would you feel about it?

Are you suggesting some type of time-displacement fantasy, where you could start over with your life or do you mean just going to college again, after retirement? I'm afraid that if I tried to do the latter, even though I'm as liberal as can be, I'm still not at all politically-correct. I wouldn't last a week at most colleges today, especially not the one in my hometown where I attended, without them tarring and feathering me. There were several professors I can remember, that would share that same fate, if they did and said today, what they did years ago.

This one jackass had the longest tenure of anyone on campus and was a department head. He also had his own weekly show on public television. The sexism and Chauvinism he carried out daily in his classes, would have the current righteous students howling for his blood. I'm afraid that the students of the past and the colleges of today, would mix about as well as oil and water.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 AM

12,839 posts, read 14,145,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
....But... much of college is more 'juvenile' than Jr High was 50 yrs ago, so... pick your schools and classes wisely!

I would NOT desire to do 'elder-learning' (age segregated / topics tailored ONLY to seniors).....
I agree with the two points above, so the idea of actually going to college goes out the window. (In fact though, I am infirm to the point where it might be physically beyond me.)

I have a B.A. with two majors, but I don't have any desire to have another degree at this point. On the other hand, I think I am a lifetime closet student. I once actually sat down and designed a course for myself, had the books needed all line up and even took it to a faculty member where I worked to have him look at it. And then I took my own course for half a year.

I haven't done anything that formal again, but once I am interested in a topic I often become obsessive about following up on it over the years. I think the poor guy tasked with having to get rid of my books when I die is really going to have a job on his hands because charity shops are not going to want them...maybe the municipal library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or