U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:57 AM

5,849 posts, read 8,617,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I know this is retirement, but is there any situation wherein you'd go to college again? And how would you feel about it?
In retirement, I would consider auditing classes that I found interesting, so I could attend the lectures and do whatever assignments and reading that interested me without worrying about a grade.

But I would never matriculate again and go back for another degree. That part of my life is over and I have no desire to deal with the stresses and demands of being a student again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:58 AM

2,744 posts, read 730,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I respectfully point out that college is only one venue for learning. There are others.

As for what's the matter with me? I'm sick of being judged by others' criteria. Inevitable I realize but not totally unavoidable.
Degrees at this point in my life are pointless.

to answer the OP's question: NO!

I agree 100%, PA Hippo! Never been back to college since my master's degree, but I've never stopped learning, especially in retirement. But there is NOTHING the matter with me, at least in terms of the implication that someone not running back to college has no intellectual curiosity and their mind is turning to mush.

As an introvert, the experience of being on a college campus wouldn't do that much for me. Sure, I'd love profound conversations with professors and even students forty years younger than me. But would that really happen? College students wouldn't be all that interested in talking with me and the professors may not be either, especially since they have to focus their efforts on the younger, degree-seeking students. I was disappointed all those years ago in college that my peers just wanted to put forth the least amount of effort and weren't much academically inclined. Believe me, we didn't sit around in black berets discussing French existentialist films!

I tried some of the free college online courses from some well known colleges and was a little disappointed by the experience. It's so much more rewarding for me to pick and choose exactly what I want to learn, go off on tangents, go more indepth, than being spoon-fed.

Everyday I learn something new, reading online and actual books. I watch at least one Ted talk a day. I think and ponder. May not be as impressive to some as actually setting foot on a college campus, but I guarantee that I can and do learn as much as anyone learns in a college course in the subjects that interest me.

Old Today, 05:08 AM

2,744 posts, read 730,301 times
There was an article in the local newspaper that Berry College in North Georgia (a small private school, but with so much land it's considered the largest US college campus) is going to have a senior independent living facility on the campus (not running it, just leasing the land to a company that will run it). At first I thought it would be amazing to live there. The cultural/learning opportunities! But I looked at the actual schedule of events---just a couple of things happening. Let's face it, most students don't want to attend ballet or hear a lecture by a literary author! (They would flock to a pop culture talk by a Kardashian-type celebrity!)

It sounds wonderful in theory---the different generations mingling. In actuality, will it really happen? Some of the students are less than thrilled by the prospect of being in the student center surrounded by people old enough to be their grandparents. One of them said:

“I get to live with old people? And go to school amongst old people? And share all my facilities with old people?” one participant said. “That’s the kind of school I want to go to!”
Said another, “It comforts me to know that in a few short years there will be people dying of old age frequently on our campus. That’s just really enticing.”

That kind of stings---I wouldn't want to uproot myself and go there just because in sounds good in theory. I think it's unrealistic to expect actual friendships between the students and elders. Although the elders may be popular on campus because they will be the only ones who are allowed to drink (it will otherwise be an alcohol-free campus)---guess the younger people could be enticed to visit them for the booze!

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georg...tq60esc0Oie1N/

Old Today, 05:08 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,675,134 times
For an additional degree? No.

But we have friends who retired a couple years ago and they are regulars at lectures scheduled for non-degree Adult Learning. The husband worked as a Customs Broker for decades so he has presented at these lectures discussing Trade, Tariffs, and their Impact.

Old Today, 05:22 AM

10,141 posts, read 12,404,828 times
Absolutely no interest in going.

I spend one semester at San Jose State in 1969-1970 before dropping and staying out because I found the whole experience worthless.

I remember the first earth day when a professor had the entire class convinced the world would be out of oil by the year 1985 and we would all starve to death with overpopulation anyway. Then there was global cooling blah, blah.

We were assigned to write a paper how the world would be after running out of oil and I got a C because I wrote about how we wouldn't run out of oil and millions would not starve to death.

It wasn't college it was a school of indoctrination where they taught you how to think their way as independent thought was not allowed.

So my brief experience with college was not impressive. I took a different route.

Old Today, 05:25 AM

12,059 posts, read 5,161,506 times
No way unless it was just to take a fun class.

Old Today, 05:27 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,760,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I would NOT desire to do 'elder-learning' (age segregated / topics tailored ONLY to seniors).

I would like to take (and teach) a lot more classes!.......
The "elder-learning" (Osher, OLLI) program my wife and I have attended might change your mind. Before the University forced the program to downsize, there were over 1000 participants and over 100 courses. The courses were taught by the retirees and were geared for retirees but the list of topics was very wide and included sciences, history, art appreciation, studio arts, photography, financial management, philosophy, etc, etc. As seniors we could have also enrolled to audit regular university classes for free.

Old Today, 05:32 AM

6,718 posts, read 8,081,077 times
Two years of college 50 years ago was just a plenty thank you very much

Old Today, 06:39 AM

2,142 posts, read 734,936 times
Before DH and I downsized we were near an excellent community college that offered deeply-discounted rates for seniors if there was space available in the class. I took a Geology course- loved it and got an A, too. I even gave a presentation on the trip DH and I took to Alaska since I had a lot of good aerial photos with various geological features we'd studied. I enjoyed being with younger people, many of who were juggling jobs, kids or both, and hearing their stories.

Unfortunately, after DH and I downsized I didn't find anything in our area (previous place was across the state line, now almost an hour's drive and I could no longer get the senior deal.) The ones nearby seem to be very focused on business skills- been there, done that, want to explore things I haven't studied before.

Old Today, 07:05 AM

4,464 posts, read 1,698,732 times
Quite honestly, I'd never do anythng again. It loooks way too hard. I'm surprised I even leared DOS in my 50s. I used to take foreign languages at night, but haven't done that since I was about 38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or