U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You either have a brain that likes to solve algebra equations or one that finds geometry more palatable. I could never grasp algebra if my life depended on it. It never made any sense to me at all and I struggled just to pass it, but I did well with geometry and trigonometry. It just depends how your brain is wired I think.
Good point. I completely could not do Algebra but could do geometry- I think because it seemed less abstract. Could never do quadratic equations in chemistry, either, no matter how hard I tried. It shut off a lot of occupational ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

1,697 posts, read 583,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Good point. I completely could not do Algebra but could do geometry- I think because it seemed less abstract.
I was exactly the same way! Somehow I could wrap my head around measuring an "object" (shape) but not working with numbers by themselves. In geometry the numbers 'meant' something concrete to me whereas in normal math they didn't. And algebra was like Greek (actually I probably could have learned Greek easier!)

Geometry was the ONLY math class where I didn't have to struggle mightily simply to get a passing grade. I honestly do believe that my high school math teacher gave me a final grade of 65 merely out of pity, LOL

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe they didn't explain it correctly?

What is the purpose of algebra and why do they use those letters

You want to get to a solution and have to figure out the quantities or values that will get you there using a formula.

If i want to plant 20 rose bushes and i see they are having a sale of packs of 10 white and 5 pink. And i like both type. How many would i need to buy of each pack to make 20.

W(1) + P(2) = 20
If both the high school and university instructors didn't explain it correctly, a lot more people would have had difficulty. How did all the other kids understand and learn it?

Your problem is easy enough to figure out in my head.

In algebra, a person is expected to show how they got the answer even if you can figure it out in your head. I would not know what to do with an equation to "show" how I arrived at the answer.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

13,345 posts, read 25,601,842 times
My high school algebra teacher was a severe grey-bun older lady whose name was, honest, Eva Braun. She was insistent that girls could do math. But I sure couldn't and didn't get why it mattered. Arithmetic, sure, algebra, nah.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

2,157 posts, read 738,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My high school algebra teacher was a severe grey-bun older lady whose name was, honest, Eva Braun. She was insistent that girls could do math. But I sure couldn't and didn't get why it mattered. Arithmetic, sure, algebra, nah.
Because you could have a great career as an actuary? I did!

I "got" both Algebra AND Geometry. Loved them both, Had a bad time with Differential Equations, though.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

9,695 posts, read 15,894,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I like to attend lectures. I've had enough of producing papers, presentations, group projects, internship-type requirements that I went through in my programs (undergrad/grad).

But if all it entailed was reading textbooks and attending lectures in a hall/auditorium, I'd do it. I'm a younger retiree and my CC don't provide free tuition until later (65).

I'd take science classes - astronomy, geology, oceanography if offered. Also financial literacy/economics/poly sci/American history - stuff that might be useful to me now.
This all sounds well and good, but I'm afraid you'd find the CC classes extremely watered down, and not providing the level of intellectual involvement and stimulation you are seeking. When the classroom "discussion" extends to what number is this, what page are we on, and is this going to be on the test, along with the along with the universal complaint of What do we gotta learn the for?" -- well , go for it

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,671,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You either have a brain that likes to solve algebra equations or one that finds geometry more palatable. I could never grasp algebra if my life depended on it. It never made any sense to me at all and I struggled just to pass it, but I did well with geometry and trigonometry. It just depends how your brain is wired I think.
Agree with this. In fact I noticed that the people in my classes who liked and did well at geometry (and Trig) tended to not like Algebra as much. Of course we had some super smart folks who did well at any math that was thrown at them, but they're more the outliers since they're often smart at any subject.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

1,792 posts, read 578,108 times
Iíve given some idle thought to auditing a class in something I took years ago, mainly just to see how things have changed. Other than that, absolutely zero chance. I can read endlessly on line about any topic I want. Why should I pay to stress my self out for some degree or grade I donít need? Not for me.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

73 posts, read 19,221 times
No. College leads to corporate cubicle serfdom which is an incredibly mediocre, miserable way to go through life.

I would have aimed for some kind of trade apprenticeship with the ultimate goal of starting my own business. The most successful people I know never went to college. One guy owns an auto body shop and the other owns a machine shop. Both are millionaires.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

705 posts, read 165,310 times
If I had the $$$, energy & access, I would finish law school, just to say that I did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or