Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 AM

346 posts, read 235,951 times

Advertisements

I know this is retirement, but is there any situation wherein you'd go to college again? And how would you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,271,855 times
No, I would never go to college again.I would not like it if i had to get another degree.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
I go to college for fun / meeting people / learning / innovation (and to do teaching...) Company paid 100% for all my different degrees + lots of other training.

I got my last post-grad degree @ age 50, and can't wait to be eligible for the 'senior rate'! Especially if I can get an 'activity pass' (Lap swimming!)

But... much of college is more 'juvenile' than Jr High was 50 yrs ago, so... pick your schools and classes wisely!

I would NOT desire to do 'elder-learning' (age segregated / topics tailored ONLY to seniors).

I would like to take (and teach) a lot more classes!

Probably a 'novelty' for me to get to go to college, since I became a caregiver at age 18 and had to cancel my 'college plans' (for nearly 30 yrs)

Old 07-21-2019, 02:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
I have zero interest in ever taking another college course. I'm content with just a bachelor's degree.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:52 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,679,054 times
What is the matter with you people???? I'm with Stealth Rabbit. I have only one degree, but I've been taking college classes all my adult life. I start again in September (at age 70). I'm going only to our local CC, and I'm taking only a couple of tech classes to help me stay 'current' with computer tech. Still and anyway -- I love being on campus, learning new stuff, getting to know the kids (who treat me like I'm fragle! LOL), being the oldest on in class, by far. LOLOL What is there not to love about education and college???

Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,000,194 times
I like to attend lectures. I've had enough of producing papers, presentations, group projects, internship-type requirements that I went through in my programs (undergrad/grad).

But if all it entailed was reading textbooks and attending lectures in a hall/auditorium, I'd do it. I'm a younger retiree and my CC don't provide free tuition until later (65).

I'd take science classes - astronomy, geology, oceanography if offered. Also financial literacy/economics/poly sci/American history - stuff that might be useful to me now.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 AM

290 posts, read 247,207 times
Not for me. One of the main attractions of retirement for me is having no schedule or milestones. Returning to college would be like a retired miner digging up rocks to pass the time.

I would go to specific community college classes like welding or cake decorating, or scuba diving, etc. But that would be to learn or improve a specific skill for my own later enjoyment. And these would be audited (no grades).

Old 07-21-2019, 03:59 AM

30,271 posts, read 16,025,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
What is the matter with you people???? I'm with Stealth Rabbit. I have only one degree, but I've been taking college classes all my adult life. I start again in September (at age 70). I'm going only to our local CC, and I'm taking only a couple of tech classes to help me stay 'current' with computer tech. Still and anyway -- I love being on campus, learning new stuff, getting to know the kids (who treat me like I'm fragle! LOL), being the oldest on in class, by far. LOLOL What is there not to love about education and college???

I respectfully point out that college is only one venue for learning. There are others.

As for what's the matter with me? I'm sick of being judged by others' criteria. Inevitable I realize but not totally unavoidable.
Degrees at this point in my life are pointless.

to answer the OP's question: NO!

Old 07-21-2019, 04:13 AM

2,872 posts, read 2,037,930 times
We’ll retire near a major southern university in a few years. I’m not sure if I’ll ever attend a class there but my Vizsla and I are very much excited about walking around town and taking strolls across the campus esp in the fall. Most of the main campus is difficult to drive but parking in the downtown area gives us tons of walking options and gets us on campus within a block of parking. Football weekends will be a no-go but that’s fine with me! Lol

Old 07-21-2019, 04:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
... I've been taking college classes all my adult life. I start again in September (at age 70). I'm going only to our local CC, and I'm taking only a couple of tech classes to help me stay 'current' with computer tech. Still and anyway -- I love being on campus, learning new stuff, getting to know the kids (who treat me like I'm fragle! LOL), being the oldest on in class, by far. LOLOL What is there not to love about education and college???
I would like to attend Maastricht U, I haven't determined if they will accept 'ole-timers' (for free).

Kids will ask If I'm the prof... "No, the Prof is much younger than I, and probably younger than my kids!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement