U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:58 AM

13,347 posts, read 6,382,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I with all due respect must disagree to a certainty point. The situation you describe applies to us. Yes at age 70 it doesn’t make a difference but getting there it does and eventually it will. For many of us (not most) it means the difference in paying CCRC/nursing home costs out of monthly fixed income without touching home equity and or investments. This can be critical for a couple who age differently and need additional services at a different time.
Same here regarding income. But I let the braggers brag on. While it doesn’t make a difference to us, I like to make the most optimum decision. It’s best to have the high earner in a couple to take SS at 70. That’s moi( or me for those who are don’t know French) in my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:59 AM

3,506 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We're sitting here on a retirement message board. The people here are going to be much better educated about these matters than the average person on the street.

You wouldn't believe the number of people I hear who are going to or at least want to take their SS at 62 and bail. Many of these folks do not seem to be in poor health or pushed out of the workforce due to age.

There is a real lack of education out there and many people are going to find that out the hard way with greatly reduced benefits.
Key word here is "sitting". People with "sitting" jobs can go on as long as they like.

Some of us really didn't have a choice and discrimination is rampant whether reported or not.

However, this is not to say your 2nd paragraph isn't valid, also, since you know these people...

Old Today, 10:06 AM

3,506 posts, read 1,551,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
This whole school of thought vis a vis SS is only for a certain element.
Uh oh. Now we're "a certain element"! Yikes!

Old Today, 10:11 AM

29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Same here regarding income. But I let the braggers brag on. While it doesnít make a difference to us, I like to make the most optimum decision. Itís best to have the high earner in a couple to take SS at 70. Thatís moi( or me for those who are donít know French) in my family.
I took after age 69. Was going to wait but to much chance of a gov't shutdown that could have screwed up my filing and cost me money at 70. The wife took it at 62 and I took spousal on hersat 66 until I filed.

We have done our CCRC research, visited and talked to multiple places and have affiliated with one down the road. We know the different cost structures and some require lots of monthly income and others want lots of money up front. What you also realize is however you go you need both. Which is greater income or buy in fee you need to have adequate reserves of each.

Old Today, 10:18 AM

29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Uh oh. Now we're "a certain element"! Yikes!
Yes, and folks like you are certain elements in the grand scheme of things. A very definite combination. Some would say two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen. Sorry but that's the way I feel so who needs folks like you in our society anyway

Old Today, 10:22 AM

I think it’s the same poster who lamented in the past that people who took SS at 70 or something like that are people who have not done well or save well. Almost self patting themselves. He lives in a low cost area that’s why he can brag that he saves half of his income. He’s definitely fits his own definition of certain element, it’s called nonsense.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

26,062 posts, read 33,064,041 times
I have zero interest in working until I am 70 (or delay my filing) to max my SS check. I’m retiring at my FRA of 66 and at that point will file, period. I’ll have a decent pension and hopefully my estimate on the SS website is close enough.

Last edited by ChessieMom; Today at 10:39 AM..

Old Today, 10:27 AM

Another false comment, you don’t have to stay working till 70 to take SS at 70. I retired at 55 and will take mine at 70.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

71,896 posts, read 71,942,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have zero interest in working until I am 70 to max my SS check. Iím retiring at my FRA of 66, period. Iíll have a decent pension and hopefully my estimate on the SS website is close enough.
Why would you assume you need to work to 70 to file at 70?

Old Today, 10:34 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,332,654 times
What happens in this scenario:

Working spouse waiting till 70 to collect dies unexpectedly. Does the spouse get 1/2 of that amount at that time? Or do they go back to FRA amount and give 1/2 that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement