U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 PM

8,128 posts, read 12,709,070 times

Advertisements

If I could stop now and do something else I probably would. I’m 27 years in and figure I have 7 more years to go before retirement. At that point I’ll probably do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 AM

113 posts, read 45,418 times
We called it ROD - retired on duty. And yes, I had it for the last couple of years. Once I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, it was hard for me to get excited about anything that happened at work. It wasn't that I didn't try to do my best; I just didn't get the same satisfaction out of it anymore. (Or was I just burned out from years of graveyard shift, overtime, and working most holidays?)

I will say that it wasn't just those approaching retirement though. There were always a few who were ROD and just marking time at a much younger age.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:27 AM

7 posts, read 865 times
Yes, I lost interest in work. I am working in an IT company for 6 years and I just hate to work in my current company, but unfortunately, from the past 6 years I have applied for many jobs but I didn't get any response.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 AM

7,837 posts, read 4,419,759 times
I believe it's a perfectly natural, normal detachment process that occurs. You're weaning yourself away from from your former life and psychologically and emotionally, at least, prior to physically, entering a new one. I know that much, if not most, of my mental energy now is devoted to contemplating and, to the best of my ability, planning my retirement. I'm sure I'm not alone in that... Sorry, boss!!!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM

8,867 posts, read 7,748,239 times
No, in fact, I'm going back to work soon, part time.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 AM

21,534 posts, read 28,464,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.

I felt like that every day of every job. I truly hated working for morons doing moronic things (Corporate middle management.)
I retired at 30 and it was the best, and most expensive, gift I ever gave to myself.
Had I continued working, and making believe I was straight (times were different back then) I'd have committed suicide long ago.

jmp.
If you can, if you really hate the job and can afford to, retire now because the additional 2 years of paying into SS won't increase your benefit more than a pittance. (It is the dollars you put in long ago that carry the most weight by an actual order of magnitude.)

Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 AM

707 posts, read 259,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I wonder if employers pick up on this and off load older people, replacing them with eager, lower paid, more energetic younger people resulting in the older person claiming age discrimination.
You don't have to wonder. Most of the employers did and do that all the times. They love to do it probably because they think that way they can save or gain a lot of money. The results turn out they get worse employees, younger and older ones.

From my experience and observation, the older employees who lost interests at work because they were treated badly by the [new and younger] management. As you may notice very well that most of the times when some new managers arrive, they start to micromanage everyone, and especially they want to get rid of the older and long time employees very much first because those are the ones who are in the higher levels of pay and they are experienced, and they are not easy for them [the management] to run them like puppets. Therefore the new mangers hate them. They think if the could get rid of those older and long time employees, they could "save" money for the company, and they want to hire younger ones, so they could tell them what to do as they wished. But that does not happen. They get more troubles and headaches. They lose good employees and get worse ones. The older ones resent and lose interests at work, and they don't want to go above and beyond as before anymore. The younger ones learn from what they see. They pretend to be energetic and eager at the beginning, so they can have a job and earn experience. And when they have enough experience, they jump. That's what happening everywhere now because many companies are cheap and treat employees badly. They just want the younger ones and pay less. And when the employees work hard for them for a number of years and get older, the employers kick them to the curb.

Who would want to work harder and harder, go above and beyond, and get less pay and benefits and to be micromanaged and treated unfairly by some greedy and disrespectful morons?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 AM

4,929 posts, read 5,821,689 times
I had a good job for 26 years. The service we provided was invaluable to our customers. It was tough work, long hours, high stress, but ultimately very satisfying.

2 years ago a new manager moved in. Didn't know what we did, didn't care, they were just using my department as a stepping stone to their next promotion. First thing they did was force senior long-term employees to retire, those too short to retire were forced to leave.

They cut the staff by 50% for an already overwhelmed workload. Brought in people with no experience or training, completely disregarded the laws we worked under, it was a bad situation.

They didn't want me to leave, but I was just putting in my time since they were completely disregarding my input, but I had 3 years to my full pension, so I was just going through the motions.

An opportunity came up that I could buy a ranch. I retired at age 57. I can wait until 60 to draw my pension, I bought back the years so at 60 I'll draw a full pension. I can use a supplemental account to live on until then, work the ranch and do some contract work.

I loved my job, but after the new guys came in, that job no longer existed.
I didn't lose interest, but I'm so much happier now.
If I'd stayed, I would have started having stress related medical issues.

I'm better off retired.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM

4,521 posts, read 2,898,008 times
I liked quite few of my positions. However, 2 didn't last because we got laid off.

Another 2, the environment got hostile. One fellow employee got "bitchy". He was connected with our parent company, and wasn't going to get fired. I thought he was a miserable whelp, but to my surprise, many of my fellow employees agreed with me. In fact, they sit as far away from him as possible to minimize having to deal with him.

My more recent positions have been nice. Other than "not being a morning person", I do enjoy the work. I'm not as compelled to work late, "go into overdrive", etc. If I get a good day's work done, I just leave for the day. The work will ALWAYS be there the next work day.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM

21,534 posts, read 28,464,272 times
I am living a relatively long life because of an early retirement, and a wonderful man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement