U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:04 AM

13,062 posts, read 15,435,975 times

Advertisements

Yes. I have always paid very close attention to detail and I find myself just not caring as much anymore, plus I have very little tolerance for any crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,277,627 times
In his book titled, Working, author, Studs Terkel included this observation by one of America's more astute observers:

"You can’t eat for eight hours a day nor drink for eight hours a day nor make love for eight hours a day—all you can do for eight hours is work. Which is the reason why man makes himself and everyone else so miserable and unhappy." -William Faulkner.

Fortunately, some of us have found that we can indeed do other stuff for eight hours a day, and we begin to see that, most often, while we are still at the job. I was pining away for retirement in earnest all during the last two years of my employment, still fully engaged in the work, but nevertheless, being slid to the side by the younger workers eager to advance their interests. I slowed down on accepting special assignments, and less were offered. It seemed to be the customary way in which we older employees were readying ourselves for that eventual walk into our retirement.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:34 PM

13,108 posts, read 13,717,860 times
a co worker said he knew he was ready to retire when he noticed that he just did not care any more. i have just now started to notice that in myself at work. i am looking forward to retiring. sometime in the next 2 years. what a relief. i've never just coasted at work, always tried to go above and beyond. now i am fine just coasting. really fine with that.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:50 PM

8,531 posts, read 12,495,143 times
I lost interest about 2 years but wanted to wait until I reached 65 (FRA 66) for SS and Medicare.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:49 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,892,754 times
Definitely. Even new and sort of exciting changes keep my interest for a shorter amount of time. I have 52 months max left, probably not all full time. Our role with the client I have worked for for a very long time has changed and we no longer have a large long project; we do support on previous projects and are given a lot of piecemeal new work. I think this helps a lot. Getting something with a due date only a coupe of weeks away or a support incident that needs to be turned around ASAP is more enjoyable to me know. I used to love big projects, especially in the early blue sky design phases. Now I like things that will be completed soon. There is always more in the queue, but that's different.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:17 PM

9,239 posts, read 9,310,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.
I always thought I would stay practicing law until I was seventy. I'm thinking I'm going to leave around 63 now. I still very much enjoy being a lawyer, but its slowly dawning on me that I probably don't have that many more healthy years of life ahead and there maybe other things that I ought to be doing. I turn sixty in a month. Something just hit me last year and retirement started to look better. There is much that I will miss when I leave. However, there is a certain amount of BS that I will be glad to leave behind.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:29 AM

113 posts, read 45,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I believe it's a perfectly natural, normal detachment process that occurs. You're weaning yourself away from from your former life and psychologically and emotionally, at least, prior to physically, entering a new one. I know that much, if not most, of my mental energy now is devoted to contemplating and, to the best of my ability, planning my retirement. I'm sure I'm not alone in that... Sorry, boss!!!

My sentiments exactly!

Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 AM

907 posts, read 516,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I believe it's a perfectly natural, normal detachment process that occurs. You're weaning yourself away from from your former life and psychologically and emotionally, at least, prior to physically, entering a new one. I know that much, if not most, of my mental energy now is devoted to contemplating and, to the best of my ability, planning my retirement. I'm sure I'm not alone in that... Sorry, boss!!!
I too agree and think yours is one of the more honest replies. I think that the belief that your superiors are morons has little to do with approaching retirement. My wife has had that attitude for her whole career.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,357,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a co worker said he knew he was ready to retire when he noticed that he just did not care any more. i have just now started to notice that in myself at work. i am looking forward to retiring. sometime in the next 2 years. what a relief. i've never just coasted at work, always tried to go above and beyond. now i am fine just coasting. really fine with that.
You're certainly in my head with those thoughts. Financially we're set up and read to go. I'm working now to pad things financially a bit. All I've known my entire adult life is going to work and drawing a twice monthly paycheck. It's scary to throw that paycheck away, but at the same time I'm excited about retirement.

My wife got her first social security check today (she's 7 years older than me). That was a necessary step in my mind...to make sure this check actually ended up in our account...and it did as of this morning.

I keep thinking to myself that every day may be my last at work. Of course I'll give them reasonable notice assuming they may want me to help transition my work load to someone else.

I'm guessing that something will happen at work, a new policy that I don't like, or something similar....and I'll mentally say "that's it, I'm done"....and write my resignation letter and present it the next day. I doubt it will take long since there are a lot of changes going on at work, you know, substantive changes we're not supposed to know about but we do....yes, those kind. There is bound to be one very soon that will "trigger" my decision.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:30 AM

21 posts, read 8,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You're certainly in my head with those thoughts. Financially we're set up and read to go. I'm working now to pad things financially a bit. All I've known my entire adult life is going to work and drawing a twice monthly paycheck. It's scary to throw that paycheck away, but at the same time I'm excited about retirement.

My wife got her first social security check today (she's 7 years older than me). That was a necessary step in my mind...to make sure this check actually ended up in our account...and it did as of this morning.

I keep thinking to myself that every day may be my last at work. Of course I'll give them reasonable notice assuming they may want me to help transition my work load to someone else.

I'm guessing that something will happen at work, a new policy that I don't like, or something similar....and I'll mentally say "that's it, I'm done"....and write my resignation letter and present it the next day. I doubt it will take long since there are a lot of changes going on at work, you know, substantive changes we're not supposed to know about but we do....yes, those kind. There is bound to be one very soon that will "trigger" my decision.

Jasper, please don't misunderstand me, but I find you post somewhat ironic since my boss and I stepped on this a few weeks ago when he went on a tirade about a contract manager when he just quit on the spot without notice.

He asked why I wasn't upset about it, and I explained that he gave the same notice we would have given him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement