U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 AM

6,491 posts, read 3,482,863 times

Advertisements

I'm 59 and hanging in there. I too feel sometimes like I'm just marching. My only problem is I own my company so can't let being disinterested get in the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,895,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
My wife is still very motivated and i know she bears some resentment towards me because i am not.
We have some of that going on. She went to college part time for several years and then went on to earn her CPA. She loves her job and is especially pleased with her advancement where she is now.

I flunked out of college and went to tech school for 7 months to learn programming. Over the course of a 40 year "career", I have never been unemployed except for a short deliberate stretch when I worked part time as a raft guide (before we were married). I stepped down from management because I didn't like it (when I fix code, it stays fixed). I don't hate my job but work is not the highlight of my day/week. The real kicker is that it turns out I have a knack for it; solutions to hard problems just seem to appear in my head out of nowhere. I can't explain it. I make over twice as much as my wife. Part of that is being overpaid for my position where I am now, but they know I have that intangible. I am not vain about it but I don't pretend not to know it.

I quoted "career" earlier because I never really cared about advancement and never really looked all that hard for the next job. I left a well respected local employer that some people spend years trying to get hired into despite them trying to figure out a better fit for me when I was unhappy. I make substantially more than my former coworkers do now except for a couple that climbed the ladder into jobs I would not want or be any good at. Making a lot more money wasn't my plan or reason for leaving; it just sort of happened.

She wants to work well into her 60s; I want to retire as soon as it is feasible. She makes decent money but cannot maintain the standard of living she has become accustomed to without the cash cow, so she is discouraging me from retiring at 65. If that sounds bitter, go up a few posts and read my previous one about where our relationship stands. After what she told me a few months ago (she gave up on our relationship years ago), it's hard for me to see anything besides money/logistics that keeps her in the marriage. For a long time, 63.5 was the target and she was on board with that, so I have already compromised.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Status: "plotting the overthrow of the world." (set 5 days ago)

14 posts, read 57,754 times
I never lost interest in my work; in fact I totally loved my job. I used to wake up every morning looking forward to going to work.

I had one job out of college and for close to 36 years worked until I was forced to retire for medical reasons. Too this day I tell people that I never worked a day in my life and it's true since I looked at it as pure enjoyment and not work.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

21,564 posts, read 28,488,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
We have some of that going on. She went to college part time for several years and then went on to earn her CPA. She loves her job and is especially pleased with her advancement where she is now.

I flunked out of college and went to tech school for 7 months to learn programming. Over the course of a 40 year "career", I have never been unemployed except for a short deliberate stretch when I worked part time as a raft guide (before we were married). I stepped down from management because I didn't like it (when I fix code, it stays fixed). I don't hate my job but work is not the highlight of my day/week. The real kicker is that it turns out I have a knack for it; solutions to hard problems just seem to appear in my head out of nowhere. I can't explain it. I make over twice as much as my wife. Part of that is being overpaid for my position where I am now, but they know I have that intangible. I am not vain about it but I don't pretend not to know it.

I quoted "career" earlier because I never really cared about advancement and never really looked all that hard for the next job. I left a well respected local employer that some people spend years trying to get hired into despite them trying to figure out a better fit for me when I was unhappy. I make substantially more than my former coworkers do now except for a couple that climbed the ladder into jobs I would not want or be any good at. Making a lot more money wasn't my plan or reason for leaving; it just sort of happened.

She wants to work well into her 60s; I want to retire as soon as it is feasible. She makes decent money but cannot maintain the standard of living she has become accustomed to without the cash cow, so she is discouraging me from retiring at 65. If that sounds bitter, go up a few posts and read my previous one about where our relationship stands. After what she told me a few months ago (she gave up on our relationship years ago), it's hard for me to see anything besides money/logistics that keeps her in the marriage. For a long time, 63.5 was the target and she was on board with that, so I have already compromised.

That was painful to read.
You should retire, as you wish, period.
If she cannot support that decision, then to Hell with her.

Old Today, 05:09 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,895,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That was painful to read.
You should retire, as you wish, period.
If she cannot support that decision, then to Hell with her.
It's painful to write. I get bitter when I look at the last few years. I am getting to that point. Medical insurance and the additional costs even if you have it has had an effect on my thinking. I am looking at the string possibility of going our separate ways and going ahead and moving to where I want to retire working just enough to stay on the plan. This is assuming I am able to stay on where I am. They are flexible about hours and location. They wouldn't hire a remote employee, but will let a long term employee go remote.

Old Today, 06:17 AM

2,888 posts, read 1,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
I never lost interest in my work; in fact I totally loved my job. I used to wake up every morning looking forward to going to work.

I had one job out of college and for close to 36 years worked until I was forced to retire for medical reasons. Too this day I tell people that I never worked a day in my life and it's true since I looked at it as pure enjoyment and not work.
I so admire you. I don't hate my job but it's just some thing that brings in a great paycheck. My coworkers are extremely nice also.
But I have no intentions on staying past next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement