U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 77,432 times

Advertisements

I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

13,346 posts, read 25,601,842 times
Can't say I was ever overly interested in any of my jobs, just didn't hate them and hoped I was doing some good in the world (or at least in the right ballpark). I always worked shift work pretty much, so did my time and had enough pride to do a pretty good job no matter how I felt.

I worked more towards the end because they were giving me overtime and I was building my retirement house while paying for my regular house.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

105 posts, read 5,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.
I wonder if employers pick up on this and off load older people, replacing them with eager, lower paid, more energetic younger people resulting in the older person claiming age discrimination.

Last edited by SoCal_Native; Yesterday at 04:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,360,218 times
Yes I lost interest.

Just hang in there until you have enough to retire. It's so much better now to just be able to live without that daily commitment.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

56,269 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
No. I finished my career managing two major projects that were about as exciting as public procurement gets. I'd planned to leave three years earlier, but then this procurement with a unique (for our agency) delivery method came up and I was asked to do it and had an 11% increase dangled in front me. It would be a great inclusion on my resume if I wanted to work after retirement, and my pension would be boosted besides.

After it was done, another plum project was coming up and I briefly considered staying to do that one. They would have been happy if I had, but I was ready to go, and I had a great assistant who was ready to step into the job. He was 20 years younger, had two little kids, and this was his time to shine. I didn't feel marginalized at all. Of course, it also helped that my department director was herself six years older than I am. She still hasn't retired at 66.

Having a pension made it a different situation from yours, though. I am not old enough to collect Social Security, so that didn't factor into my decision.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
They called it gone ROAD - Retired On Active Duty - in the military -

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 3,359 times
My large tech company wants to replace us older workers with "digital natives". I see no evidence of older workers slacking off. We do complain more when we see upper management do dumb stuff. Maybe that is why they want us gone. That and our larger paychecks.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

73 posts, read 19,221 times
What if you never had any interest in the first place?

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

6,344 posts, read 3,596,178 times
I've said it before - the part I've never liked about working for someone else is having to be a certain place at a certain time every day and all but one of my jobs have been like that. I was plenty tired of that by the time I retired.

DH is someone who "works" every day. Still on a working schedule. It's his thing. Not mine. If I'm being paid I'll work as hard as the next person but all this free labor I've given during my lifetime I'm also plenty tired of.

Sometimes I think that makes me look lazy in his eyes when I've given something a "lick and a promise." (He came from a family of seven farm boys and woe be to he who didn't hold up his end.) But if it's my project and not the usual drudgery I can work circles around him.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

11,111 posts, read 12,501,220 times
Did you lose interest in work?

Grew tired of being micromanaged by morons in the glass house, and people with iPhones recording every single thing I did. What eat a cheeseburger on tax payers time? Post that on YouTube! Plus I was arresting the grandkids of people I arrested when I first started.

So after 35 years, kinda lost interest I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement