U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM

9,695 posts, read 15,898,714 times

Advertisements

My DH is currently employed, but looking to retire sometime this year. Our finances are fine, with two pensions, SS, savings, house paid.

Recently DH found a job online that seemed to suit him to a tee. Its FT, in the same city, close by, etc, etc. He decided to apply for it. So we just wait to see what happens.

I just wonder how good are his chances, being 65? Would a potential employer look for someone younger who would stay longer? If he gets the job, he would probably stay five years, max. Hmmm......well, be interesting to see what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
"Job market" and "retirees" don't play well together.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 PM

4,379 posts, read 3,720,561 times
It could go either way. If I was hiring and had problems he could help with and would agree to stay for x period of time to solve the problems I would probably hire him.

If I did not want to replace the position again then a younger person.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:56 PM

12,079 posts, read 5,165,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
It could go either way. If I was hiring and had problems he could help with and would agree to stay for x period of time to solve the problems I would probably hire him.

If I did not want to replace the position again then a younger person.
That's just it. Unless it's a position that's really hard to fill, why hire someone of retirement age? You know chances are they are not going to last very long before wanting to retire or health problems will begin to take a toll.
Also people who are of retirement age and financially ok, don't have any reason not to up and quit when something happens they don't like. There's no reason for them to stay if it gets tough since they really don't need the money like a younger married person with a couple of kids would.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,765,544 times
Sounds like your husband is trying to change jobs.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:06 PM

166 posts, read 93,353 times
if he's willing to start a new job and work five years, he might as well try for another pension. a five-year pension.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:23 PM

39,591 posts, read 47,849,351 times
The only jobs I've seen for retirees around our area is for Walmart greeters, or fast food cashiers. They're probably working part time to pick up some extra spending money or they are bored and want to get out the house and away from the spouse for a few hours.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,691 posts, read 40,062,283 times
It is against the c-d retirement forum law to mix 'Work" with retirement... but...

I appreciate and enjoy many post-age-65 workers in their 'next stage of employment'.

They make GREAT engineers, mechanics, drivers (much better than some age groups), inventors, architects, cooks, counselors, researchers, ...and... diligent and conscientious mentors, teachers, profs, pastors, nurses, Drs...

Had a friend who rebuilt airplane engines well into his 80's (Good idea to perform that skill accurately).
I know several 'contract engineers' who work their own schedule (around their hunting, fishing, vacation, grandkids...) for $120+/ hr.
My 76 yo neighbor does contract 'Crane' operator work for $500+ / hr.
Couple retired friends relocate airplanes (all over the world).

There are some really great 'retirement gigs'.
High pay and high on fun!

Tho pay is often not the motivation for those choosing to work, glad that those who MUST work after retirement age can have abundant opportunities. (Both my parents and in-laws lost everything and started over AFTER retirement. )

Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM

71,907 posts, read 71,971,035 times
one of the reasons we did not retire to where we had a 2nd home is because it sucked if i wanted to work in retirement . there were only low paying jobs hardly worth my time .

so we retired right here in queens in nyc ... i have been working one day a week for 4 years now teaching my trade which i love doing .. i make great money , i put my entire check in my 401k and i get company matching .

i can work more than one day if i want but i hold it to one day ...

there are many slots open , especially in sales for retirees who want to go out on the road a few days a week in the company i do work for ... it is great for someone with electrical or building supply knowledge if they can sell .

Old Yesterday, 04:44 AM

7,753 posts, read 4,764,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Recently DH found a job online that seemed to suit him to a tee. Its FT, in the same city, close by, etc, etc. He decided to apply for it. So we just wait to see what happens.
Is his health still good? I remember a scare from a few years back. Hopefully that's in the rear view mirror now.

How do YOU feel about the prospect of him working five more years? Had you made plans for retirement? It sounds like you're fine with it but I thought I would ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or