Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mortgage or Investments
No mortgage pay 350k for house 55 51.89%
Mortgage with money in investments 51 48.11%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:37 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It can be very hard selling a house in a 2008 style recession ...even if you found a buyer the banks were reneging at closing because they had no money ...don’t fall in to a false sense of security here .. you may need cash ,lots of liquid cash or instantly salable investments that can go with the push of a button if push comes to shove
I understand...........but 2008 was pretty severe.

In most cases of a long time hold, lets say 1988 purchase you would still be "in the money" if you took a low offer in 2008. Buy for 200K, house is worth 500K so 2008 hits and you only get 400K you still made money but no you didn't nail the top of the market.

In your example, 2008 would have been a tough time to sell off your 401K too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:37 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Just what I said .....you need sustainability
While a portfolio of equities would have taken a hit it could easily be sold .... but if you were holding a portion in bonds no problem selling

So for those not retired having most of your money tied up in just equities and the bulk in a house would not have been a wise plan.. that is mismatching time frames if some larger expenses poke their head up.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I guess the world never ceases to amaze me. The poll shows over half the participants would not take a mortgage during retirement. That decision would have cost me a $100K and over the next few years that will continue to grow so that the decision is worth a half million or more.

I would guess that a high percentage of those who would not take a low cost mortgage also have no idea about investing. Certainly a number of people who posted warned about the risks of investing. One even compared that with handing your money to Madoff. That sort of logic would have kept me poor most of my life and would have cost me millions in money I currently have or have already spent. As I have said in the past, my illiterate emigrant grandfather taught all his kids and grandkids to have their money work for them. He made a living scratching the ground with a hoe but died fairly wealthy and was able to give all the kids either land or a college education.

Personally I find it incredibly sad that so many people have no idea about investing or handling their finances.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
There are variables that make this a situational decision. Long term growth of both portfolio and income depending on income sources. Not having a mortgage may help delaying SS and may allow a couple to increase monthly savings/investments. We are in a different world today than at other times. Someone approaching 65 has seen a great Bull market and that may cause them to thing differently if we had just had a long term bear/flat market.

Also if you have 300k do you ease your way into equities over time or jump in risking bad timing?

Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I guess the world never ceases to amaze me. The poll shows over half the participants would not take a mortgage during retirement. That decision would have cost me a $100K and over the next few years that will continue to grow so that the decision is worth a half million or more.

I would guess that a high percentage of those who would not take a low cost mortgage also have no idea about investing. Certainly a number of people who posted warned about the risks of investing. One even compared that with handing your money to Madoff. That sort of logic would have kept me poor most of my life and would have cost me millions in money I currently have or have already spent. As I have said in the past, my illiterate emigrant grandfather taught all his kids and grandkids to have their money work for them. He made a living scratching the ground with a hoe but died fairly wealthy and was able to give all the kids either land or a college education.

Personally I find it incredibly sad that so many people have no idea about investing or handling their finances.
I don't know at this point if I'll carry a mortgage, but playing devil's advocate, maybe it's not all about investing once one reaches a certain point in their lives. Sometimes, it's more about keeping what you have as safe as possible and being mortgage free, where no matter what happens, the house is yours as long as you can pay the taxes on it.
I can understand both sides of the coin.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I understand...........but 2008 was pretty severe.

In most cases of a long time hold, lets say 1988 purchase you would still be "in the money" if you took a low offer in 2008. Buy for 200K, house is worth 500K so 2008 hits and you only get 400K you still made money but no you didn't nail the top of the market.

In your example, 2008 would have been a tough time to sell off your 401K too......
We retired and transplanted Jan 1, 2008. Your scenario was our reality. Because of the bounce back in the markets and the economy it was only a blip in the grand scheme of things. It could have been otherwise.

Remember in 2008 we boomers were just hitting retirement and millions had their psyche shaped by that event, recovery and sustained bull that followed.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Some people are simply extremely risk-averse, either by nature or because they have had bad experiences in the past. And no matter how you slice it, investing DOES carry a level of risk. The level varies but it is there, and if it's unacceptable to someone, well, it is their right and privilege to choose to avoid it. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are clueless. One size does not fit all when it comes to financial choices. What worked for you in your circumstances may not have worked, or even been possible, for someone else.

Many years ago I was told "Never invest money that you cannot afford to lose" and I firmly believe that is 100% true. There was a time in my life when I did have money that I could afford to lose, and at that time I did have investments. However, my life circumstances changed drastically in my early sixties and I no longer have, nor will I ever again have, any money that I cannot afford to lose.

I'm content with my choice. No need for anyone to be "sad" about that.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know at this point if I'll carry a mortgage, but playing devil's advocate, maybe it's not all about investing once one reaches a certain point in their lives. Sometimes, it's more about keeping what you have as safe as possible and being mortgage free, where no matter what happens, the house is yours as long as you can pay the taxes on it.
Exactly.

Some people are also emotionally ill-suited to investing. I know I was, still am, and will always be. When I did have investments I was constantly checking to see "how they are doing" and my stress level would soar into the stratosphere every time a stock price dipped. In the rational part of my brain I knew that this was the completely wrong way to approach the situation but the gut/emotional part of me couldn't help itself and overrode that every time. It would have been as impossible for me to get off that particular emotional rollercoaster as it would be for me to transform myself into an entirely different person in another time and place.

(And that was when I could afford to lose the money I had invested and still feel that I'd be okay. There's no way I'd ever place myself in that kind of mega-stress mindset again now.)

Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Plus in retirement, you never have to worry about being laid off, this is why we still have a mortgage. It has paid off so far.
That is a major point and one of the reasons we were very attractive to the bank. Our risk of losing our pensions and or SS was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lower than threat of a job loss would be.
They said it was going to be part of their permanent portfolio of loans and not resold. Nine years later and they still hold it.

This was on our second home. We paid cash for the first. The mortgaged home within mile of beach has skyrocketed in value the last five years.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are variables that make this a situational decision. Long term growth of both portfolio and income depending on income sources. Not having a mortgage may help delaying SS and may allow a couple to increase monthly savings/investments. We are in a different world today than at other times. Someone approaching 65 has seen a great Bull market and that may cause them to thing differently if we had just had a long term bear/flat market.

Also if you have 300k do you ease your way into equities over time or jump in risking bad timing?
I think the no mortgage crowd would be the crowd to take SS at 62, not delaying. This from my years of reading here. Not only that they will slap themselves in the back that they’re very responsible financially to not care about when to take SS. It’s the mortgage crowd that are irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement