U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mortgage or Investments
No mortgage pay 350k for house 37 50.00%
Mortgage with money in investments 37 50.00%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 12:48 PM

6,565 posts, read 3,121,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Yes and Thanks to everyone that has given their thoughts on this.

In my case I would have enough retirement income to both carry the mortgage or not so for me the question is really is where would I and partner feel more comfortable. Iím willing to get the mortgage and invest the extra cash. My partner likes everything paid off to the no mortgage is the way to go.

So who knows what we will do at 5his point.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

We had the same scenario. I don't care if we die with a mortgage; hubby wanted to pay cash for our retirement home.

We took a hybrid approach. Put 1/3 down and mortgaged 2/3.

We have 2 pensions with survivor benefits so there are no worries about ever being able to cover the mortgage and other expenses.

You didn't mention specifically if covering the mortgage would be a problem for your partner if you die first. I would take a look at that if you haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM

577 posts, read 668,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We do too but it still requires a trip to an atm or bank
Or a food store

Old 07-26-2019, 01:46 PM

72,120 posts, read 72,094,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Or a food store
Today I use no atm but the one in the bank lobby

Old 07-26-2019, 03:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 595,864 times
Quote:
Or at the bank's drive-up ATM if they have one. I don't trust any ATM except the ones at the bank/chain where my accounts actually are.

The current practice of eliminating drive-thru ATMs annoys me bigtome. I get the "marketing logic" of it but the lobby-only ATMs are a PITA in certain circumstances, especially if the customer has mobility issues or a baby or young child in the car. In both cases (and in really nasty weather also) it's a heck of a lot easier to use a drive-up ATM. Unfortunately they are becoming less and less common.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Or at the bank's drive-up ATM if they have one. I don't trust any ATM except the ones at the bank/chain where my accounts actually are.

The current practice of eliminating drive-thru ATMs annoys me bigtome. I get the "marketing logic" of it but the lobby-only ATMs are a PITA in certain circumstances, especially if the customer has mobility issues or a baby or young child in the car. In both cases (and in really nasty weather also) it's a heck of a lot easier to use a drive-up ATM. Unfortunately they are becoming less and less common.
The Braille keypad on the drive up atm scares me

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

5,844 posts, read 4,877,415 times
Quote:
Not at the ATM in the store, just from the check-out when you use your debit to buy groceries. It asks if you want cash back from your transaction. If I need cash, I just get $40 to $100 from the cashier. I only ever go to the ATM if I need a large amount that I can't get at the cash register in the store, but I usually just spend it on very small purchases, or places that don't take cards. It really doesn't matter where we get it, but the bank is further and in the opposite direction from our house, and I'm at the store already buying groceries, so it saves me having to make a special trip to the bank for something I can just get when I buy groceries. It's really all the same.

Last edited by TheShadow; Yesterday at 07:53 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

with all the skimmers today i never ever use a debit card to buy a thing , no reason to .. i only use a debit card to get cash at the bank only. i only use credit cards -always .

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

13,430 posts, read 6,422,494 times
I don’t use debit card that often, rarely. I need to use it before I forget the code.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

577 posts, read 668,246 times
Quote:
Never heard of cashback?

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Never heard of cashback?
i did but i don't ever use debit cards to buy anything nor present them anywhere but the atm in the bank lobby .... i only use credit cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or