U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 AM

4,089 posts, read 3,406,892 times

Advertisements

It seems like this subject comes up frequently enough to make me realize the fact that retirement is a very finely tailored thing, there is no, one shoe fits all, answers, to the OP's dilemma. I've heard some say they were going to go golfing more when they retired, others loved to fish or hunt and wanted more time to do that, still others want to travel and flee the cage of their work life. But I knew that they all were going to find themselves with a lot of extra time on their hands.

Retirement is confounding for a lot of people who were steeped in the structure of work life, and when work ends, there is no "structured" form to their life. That lack of structure can be a real detriment to those who worry and stew over finances, or those who need to have set routines to follow, and worse is the fear of becoming irrelevant, the loneliness of social isolation, or, becoming bored to tears.

If one is in good physical shape, and wants to work, who's to say they shouldn't? A lot of us were tired beyond the point of a good nights sleep bringing us to a full restoration, we were done, beat, and retirement was the only path that made sense, but others who are still viable should do what they feel is right for them, in other words, its up to you OP, we can only speak from our own perspective..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 AM

219 posts, read 262,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It seems like this subject comes up frequently enough to make me realize the fact that retirement is a very finely tailored thing, there is no, one shoe fits all, answers, to the OP's dilemma. I've heard some say they were going to go golfing more when they retired, others loved to fish or hunt and wanted more time to do that, still others want to travel and flee the cage of their work life. But I knew that they all were going to find themselves with a lot of extra time on their hands.

Retirement is confounding for a lot of people who were steeped in the structure of work life, and when work ends, there is no "structured" form to their life. That lack of structure can be a real detriment to those who worry and stew over finances, or those who need to have set routines to follow, and worse is the fear of becoming irrelevant, the loneliness of social isolation, or, becoming bored to tears.

If one is in good physical shape, and wants to work, who's to say they shouldn't? A lot of us were tired beyond the point of a good nights sleep bringing us to a full restoration, we were done, beat, and retirement was the only path that made sense, but others who are still viable should do what they feel is right for them, in other words, its up to you OP, we can only speak from our own perspective..

It is ultimately my decision and obviously everyone's situation is different. I've never once been bored, felt isolated, lonely or "confounded" during my day to day activities since I retired. I met this week with a financial planner who confirmed that my finances were in pretty good shape and that I need not return to work if I don't want to. All that said, I was recruited for this position and it's nice to be wanted. Now I just need to decide if want to accept their offer. Thanks again to everyone that's shared their experiences. They've helped me validate my feelings and consider all of my options.

Irish

Old 07-27-2019, 12:24 PM

4,089 posts, read 3,406,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
It is ultimately my decision and obviously everyone's situation is different. I've never once been bored, felt isolated, lonely or "confounded" during my day to day activities since I retired. I met this week with a financial planner who confirmed that my finances were in pretty good shape and that I need not return to work if I don't want to. All that said, I was recruited for this position and it's nice to be wanted. Now I just need to decide if want to accept their offer. Thanks again to everyone that's shared their experiences. They've helped me validate my feelings and consider all of my options.

Irish
I've been retired for almost eleven years and I've had some really boring days, I could have returned to work at any time during the first five years, but just didn't want it. The retirees I do converse with have often expressed some dissatisfaction about their social lives slowing down, others have spoke about too much time on their hands, and some do seem to find the whole retirement notion as a confounding thing just because they spent so much time in the saddle of work. I hope you find a comfortable position in your retirement, I wish you happy trails.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 PM

655 posts, read 167,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Most people spend about 20% of their retirement savings in retirement. In 25 years you will be 85, will you really need extra money that your pension/SS provides to travel, buy cars etc? Probably not. Any money you earn today will most likely never be spent, you be basically working for free. Remember your 60's will be your best retirement years, when you not so decrepit you can't do anything. YMMV though!
That's an interesting way to look for it (working for free). I think I'd rather work than not work though, it's actually kind of fun. What keeps me out is a combination of ageism and the brutal realities of finding jobs in my skillset...no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or