U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 05:51 PM

7,281 posts, read 12,736,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We use Healthy Paws and they pay within 10 days.
You got me curious so I just got an online quote from them for Hansel, my 13-year-old mutt kitty. $118.35/month, $1,000 deductible, 50% reimbursement after that, AND it excludes pre-existing conditions, preventative/routine care, office visit/exam fees.

I guess it could make sense for dogs who are often eating things they shouldn't, but I have lots of animals and it would cost hundreds of dollars every month to cover them all. Instead, each month I put money into a "cat fund" (just as I do for any other budget item) and use that for their care as needed. Since it's highly unlikely that all of them will get sick or injured at the same time, that kind of thing makes a lot more sense for people with lots of pets.

Very glad it's worked for you, though! I can't imagine not having pets in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 PM

56,446 posts, read 54,858,546 times
I underestimated how much state tax I would have to pay on my state pension (pension is from one state, I live in another).

Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 PM

418 posts, read 109,399 times
Karen, it only is cost effective if you get it young. So for 2 dogs it’s 77/month with 80% and a small deductible.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,933,256 times
Quote:
I think age comes into making the decision. I am not going to treat for cancer if the dog is old.
We ended up treating our dog for cancer when she was 13.

Vet said she'd probably get at least another healthy year after finishing chemo. We did the math on how many more walks, treats, hugs, meals, wags of tail, etc. and went ahead with it. Turned out to be a good call, just like doc said she was back to her old self and didn't start showing symptoms again for about 13 months when it came back. That was one spoiled dog in that final year, I think she got more cheeseburgers and steaks than any dog on earth.

We had to put her to sleep after that, since for whatever reason you can't just keep getting the same amount of time time treatment gets less effective.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

2,745 posts, read 1,566,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
e for whatever reason you can't just keep getting the same amount of time time treatment gets less effective.
People are like that too (notice I took out the put to sleep part...), successive rounds of therapy rarely work as well.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I underestimated how much state tax I would have to pay on my state pension (pension is from one state, I live in another).
Now you're scaring me..

OP. we definitely underestimated the cost of our prescription plan and didn't realize, or didn't pay attention to the fact that it would go up as we got older.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Lie, here treating cancer in a dog is 10k. Vet bills have gotten ridiculous.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

1,112 posts, read 534,442 times
Quote:
Lie, here treating cancer in a dog is 10k. Vet bills have gotten ridiculous.
As with humans, really depends on the stage and type of cancer. I caught oral melanoma visually in one dog....radiation and chemo gave her another good year. Then there was the latest with pancreatic cancer.....it’s just as bad in a dog as a human. I did the diagnostics, provided palliative care, and 2 weeks later she needed to be relieved from her suffering.$5k.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

My friends in Texas and Kansas pay a fraction of what we do for vets. It the main reason that when 2 of our dogs died we didn’t replace them. We still have 2 and probably always will.

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
mlb

3,218 posts, read 2,876,748 times
Our regular vet clinic misdiagnosed cancer in our first golden. We wanted a second opinion and found a veterinary oncologist. Who knew there was such a specialty for animals?

Then shortly thereafter what we thought was a urinary infection turned out to be cancer...but one the onc vet said he could outrun. But he didn’t. It was anguishing. And expensive - $5K. We will not do that again.

We also will not have the dog put to sleep in our home. He had a seizure and it was traumatic. We both had nightmares for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement