U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
 
2,103 posts, read 882,405 times
Reputation: 5137

Advertisements

Need cable for internet or you can't get any streaming services. Need cable for the housephones. (We use a tracfone smartphone at $8 a month for calls and texts as well). We have Netflix and Roku but can't get Showtime and HBO and dvr without cable, and those are the best shows that we dvr and watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
At 275 a month I would look into Youtubetv, PlayStation Vue, Sling or one of the many streaming options and cut that cable cord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 494,822 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dang I better add some $ to the dental budget. You guys are scaring me.
Same, though I'm a long way off from retirement. That's one of those things you really don't think about much when you have dental insurance and most visits consist of 100% covered semi-annual cleanings. This will definitely be higher on my radar at that time (assuming no massive changes to society in this regard).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,168 posts, read 655,552 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Same, though I'm a long way off from retirement. That's one of those things you really don't think about much when you have dental insurance and most visits consist of 100% covered semi-annual cleanings. This will definitely be higher on my radar at that time (assuming no massive changes to society in this regard).

Add me to the list! I budgeted $ which would cover my 3 cleanings a year and DH's couple visits + a little bit. Then.... $16,000+ in DH's mouth alone... which we are nearing the end of.... and I'm extremely grateful for funds that enabled us to do this work. He should be fixed up for a long while after all this...I hope, I hope.


Other expenses not anticipated: more maintenance on house than we figured, we'll be painting the whole thing sometime soon. Really everything is up: insurances for vehicles and house, taxes on house...even just a small amount added up makes the total higher.


Oh, helped a relative with an expensive car repair...so glad we could do this... and we should get this back eventually but I'm not worried if it's a long while.


Put a miscellaneous column on your spreadsheet and throw some budget numbers in there because it will be needed somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
 
2,103 posts, read 882,405 times
Reputation: 5137
The major benefit of dental insurance is you get group preferred rates, so that crown or extraction may cost you a few hundred out of pocket instead of a few thousand. Same with health insurance. The hospital bills you for $400K but Medicare and the supplemental insurance settle the bill for $125K and you pay maybe $2K out of pocket. Without the insurance, there's a $400K lien on your property and assets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Same, though I'm a long way off from retirement. That's one of those things you really don't think about much when you have dental insurance and most visits consist of 100% covered semi-annual cleanings. This will definitely be higher on my radar at that time (assuming no massive changes to society in this regard).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 494,822 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The major benefit of dental insurance is you get group preferred rates, so that crown or extraction may cost you a few hundred out of pocket instead of a few thousand. Same with health insurance. The hospital bills you for $400K but Medicare and the supplemental insurance settle the bill for $125K and you pay maybe $2K out of pocket. Without the insurance, there's a $400K lien on your property and assets.
Absolutely. I've had wisdom teeth removed and a crown and a few fillings that were not 100% covered, but generally $X00. Besides the reduced level of insurance coverage, I'll probably end up actually needing more dental work (of the non-routine/preventive variety) as well. Probably not wise to count on being in the lucky "I'm 90 years old and my teeth are still as good as when I was 20" cohort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,753,760 times
Reputation: 718
You really dont ha e to have cable to get internet,call your provider and ask what an internet only service would be ( 25 or 50 MBPS)
With a good internet you can plug a Ooma device and have unlimited phone calling for 3-7 dollars a month as you onky pay the taxes

with a roku you can buy Hbo and showtime on a streaming service. many streaming services also have dvrs and large on demand librarys as well.
Im not trying to force you to change anything, but it can be done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,753,760 times
Reputation: 718
Go to www.cordcutternews.com , lots of information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,292 posts, read 45,013,833 times
Reputation: 12934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Southern N.J. Optimum keeps raising the rates once or twice a year and has no competition in our neighbrhood so we are stuck. I guess Verizon or any other cable providers aren't willing to bring service into our area a cul de sac with about a hundred homes, surrounded by woods on three sides. Considered a dish but don't want holes in the roof. When you have two services competing, they cut costs to the subscriber. When they have a monopoly, you are screwed.

You don't *have* to put holes in your roof to mount a dish, you can mount it on a pole out in the yard, or in some cases on the eaves of your roof, where the holes could not reasonably leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Australia
934 posts, read 342,008 times
Reputation: 1710
Wow, I can now understand the reluctance of our government to add general dental care to our Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
 
2,103 posts, read 882,405 times
Reputation: 5137
30 MBPS Internet only is $69 a month. I mainly watch Showtime, HBO, the networks and PBS and TMC channels. I'll have to see what they cost using the Roku. Thanks.

One other thing. Everything we watch is usually time delayed and recorded to watch later. Is there this type of dvr capability with Roku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
You really dont ha e to have cable to get internet,call your provider and ask what an internet only service would be ( 25 or 50 MBPS)
With a good internet you can plug a Ooma device and have unlimited phone calling for 3-7 dollars a month as you onky pay the taxes

with a roku you can buy Hbo and showtime on a streaming service. many streaming services also have dvrs and large on demand librarys as well.
Im not trying to force you to change anything, but it can be done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top