Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

My husband has to take his first round of RMDs this year—
He turned 70 end of Dec but doesn’t want to take two next year

I am trying to get him to tell his financial advisor that he wants to take his draw ASAP—before August—
Since it is based on the Dec 31 accounts’ balances the amount is known
To me it is better to take when the market is up and you are drawing from profits

Just wondered if some people take a monthly deposit into a saving/checking account
If some people take at the end of the year or maybe every quarter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband has to take his first round of RMDs this year—
Since it is based on the Dec 31 accounts’ balances the amount is known
To me it is better to take when the market is up and you are drawing from profits
Yes, that's a good way to do it, regardless of what time of year it is.

My account is self directed with Fidelity, so when the market is up, I take the RMD then.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Monthly

Old 07-28-2019, 09:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I take it in December and hope the account has grown a bit by then.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
I have 3 IRAs. From the larger one, I take payments approximately quarterly... I picked dates that are after the funds pay dividends. The other 2 are smaller so I take one payment per year from each but in different months than the large one. One of those comes just before my property taxes are due. You can set up the RMD payments monthly or quarterly or yearly and pick your dates. All are automatically direct deposited to my checking a count.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
My husband’s smaller account is still a 401K controlled by his former employer
He called and told the personnel director he wanted to take an RMD this yr even though he could push it back into 2020–but that would mean a double RMD
From his conversation I think the company controls WHEN the RMD is made
They have several retired employees but it was small company so not large group of them
Don’t know if it comes as just one RMD or other options available
He needs to call again...

Old 07-29-2019, 08:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband’s smaller account is still a 401K controlled by his former employer
He called and told the personnel director he wanted to take an RMD this yr even though he could push it back into 2020–but that would mean a double RMD
From his conversation I think the company controls WHEN the RMD is made
They have several retired employees but it was small company so not large group of them
Don’t know if it comes as just one RMD or other options available
He needs to call again...
He can roll the 401k into an IRA at any brokerage house... such as Fidelity or Schwab. Then he can control it. I would not leave a 401k with a small company as they may not be around for the remainder of his retirement years.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:08 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
He can roll the 401k into an IRA at any brokerage house... such as Fidelity or Schwab. Then he can control it. I would not leave a 401k with a small company as they may not be around for the remainder of his retirement years.
i agree .. i had grief when the company i was still with had financial issues , were taken over and closed the 401k prior to being taken over .

since the company stopped paying the custodian fees for the 401k the accounts were liquidated , locked and the court had to go through the process of appointing a custodian to distribute the money ...it took just under a year ... we lost all market gains since the money was liquidated and in nothing as well as access to it . .

Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
I have four laddered IRA CDs (have never worked for a company that had a 401K or pension plan) of roughly equal size because they were originally just one large CD until a few years ago. They are now all 48 month terms that mature one CD per year in early May.

As each CD matures I take the RMD from that one before either rolling it over (if the current bank is offering the best 48 month rate) or moving it to whatever other bank is offering the best 48 month rate at that time. (As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have no desire to engage in investing again because my risk tolerance is at absolute zero so please no responses telling me how "stupid" I am for keeping my IRA in this kind of vehicle, LOL. That's not what this post is about.)

The May draw works for me because my property tax bill arrives in late December and I have the option of paying the entire thing at once or splitting it in half: 50% due no later than January 10th and the other 50% due no later than May 30th. So the yearly RMD timing in the same month is perfect for knowing that the second half of my taxes will be mostly (although not entirely, because I live in NY ) covered by the RMD each year.

It also ensures that all four IRAs will shrink at about the same rate over time. It's a simple method that works for me.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 07-29-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 09:59 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
I take mine annually. Since your husband is not required to pay taxes on RMD's until the year in which he turns 70-1/2, he can take his initial RMD anytime in 2019. He might double-up on RMD's in a single year, is if he didn't pay his 2019 taxes until April of 2020 ... and then paid his 2020 taxes earlier than April of 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement