Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Healthcare until ACA came along. Dental. One root canal turned into 4 and 10K. What a bunch of crap that profession is.....I come in with pain and you take 4 tries before you find the offending tooth?
If there's a next time and I hope for your sake there isn't.. see if you can find an endodontist. They do it all in one visit and last time I went, the procedure was literally painless. They even put headphones on me and let me listen to my choice of music.

I have no idea why a regular dentist needs so many visits to complete a root canal even just for one tooth, unless it's all about the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's pretty funny, I remember in the healthcare threads awhile back when you didn't qualify for healthcare subsidies you used to brag about being above accepting them:

Interesting how qualifying for them can change one's value set eh?
LOL. That's hilarious.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
If there's a next time and I hope for your sake there isn't.. see if you can find an endodontist. They do it all in one visit and last time I went, the procedure was literally painless. They even put headphones on me and let me listen to my choice of music.

I have no idea why a regular dentist needs so many visits to complete a root canal even just for one tooth, unless it's all about the money.
This was an endodontist.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I don't have a budget with items, really. I should have realized that my former tendency to spend freely when I feel like it wouldn't go away without effort!
I bought a rental house with my emergency fund. When my tenants buy it from me, I'll have a nice stash of emergency money. Which I will *not* spend.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
The fact that Florida doesn't honor GHI dental insurance.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Cable for TV , outrageous, so I got rid of them. Also food, going up steadily at the grocery but can't do a thing about that.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:10 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't have a budget with items, really. I should have realized that my former tendency to spend freely when I feel like it wouldn't go away without effort!

I've never "budgeted", in the sense of setting aside specific amounts for specific things, either. I interpreted the OP as meaning "What things did you not expect to put/be putting a big dent in your retirement savings or income.... but did, or are?"

In the case of my Money Pit, I overestimated the renovation costs, added a cushion, and came up with a figure of $125K. Due to the perfect-storm scenario I mentioned earlier, the actual tally is now at $364K and I still have that driveway replacement (asphalt in order to keep the cost lower but still $15K) staring me in the face in a couple of months.

Which reminds me, I need to call the appliance guy to find out when they are delivering the new fridge and dishwasher. Both are only six years old but would cost more than half the cost to fix compared to buying new. And the successful-repair history for this problem on this Samsung fridge model is abysmal. Between the two replacements, there went $2100 that I didn't expect.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Not retired yet, but in anticipation I’ve been trying to figure costs. Medical always comes up as the X factor. But as we intend to rent for at least three to four months I am concerned about HOA fees.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:31 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Medical and dental costs have been high. We switched from charter cable to AT&T for cable and internet. In 2 years when rates get to high we will switch again. Travel cost more than expected.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:05 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Healthcare until ACA came along. Dental. One root canal turned into 4 and 10K. What a bunch of crap that profession is.....I come in with pain and you take 4 tries before you find the offending tooth?
Uh oh. Just had my very first crown placed. He told me 95% chance he's fixed my pain problem. I sure hope it doesn't come down to chasing a bad tooth for me. Oh well, I guess I should feel fortunate that I have the funds to pay for it ---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement