U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 05:55 PM

5,197 posts, read 8,719,991 times

Advertisements

I tend to take things hard and blame myself often when things go wrong tying it back to early medical issues (vision related) from birth.

My first real betrayal I did not know about for months, however, when I was told by the person themselves and then verified by others was rather embarrassing. It was a joke on their end and a dare to see how far it would go. Let's just say today he could be arrested. Very hurtful and I took steps to end the relationship slowly. For years, I carried this with me thinking it was my fault that I put myself in a vulnerable position and paid the consequences. (This group was hiding in a closet watching everything unfold).

Years later, a work relationship - I was thrown under the bus by someone I had introduced to a family member. From that, I branched out on my own and started my own company but it still hurts.

There were times when coincidence stepped in and saved me. I took my brother with me to a business meeting and I thank God I did. Could have been a terrible position I put myself in but I thought of my past with item #1 above and just felt I needed someone with me. He saw what a jerk this guy was (head of a corporation from another state) and we decided after that meeting to form our own company. I was 24, he was 19 and everyone told us we would fail. Well, we lasted 17 years, 34 employees at the height and those were the best years of my life. I'm so thankful I was able to share it with my brother. He and I will always have a bond. (All those years of playing Monopoly as kids and going to work with our dad paid off). I would do anything for him and probably vice versa. The best brother.

Less of a risk taker today but I did take some risks back then but mostly work related.

As far as family betrayals go, none there. We're all good there. Grateful for that but I don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by Bette; 07-24-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I tend to take things hard and blame myself often when things go wrong tying it back to early medical issues (vision related) from birth.

My first real betrayal I did not know about for months, however, when I was told by the person themselves and then verified by others was rather embarrassing. It was a joke on their end and a dare to see how far it would go. Let's just say today he could be arrested. Very hurtful and I took steps to end the relationship slowly. For years, I carried this with me thinking it was my fault that I put myself in a vulnerable position and paid the consequences. (This group was hiding in a closet watching everything unfold).

Years later, a work relationship - I was thrown under the business by someone I had introduced to a family member. From that, I branched out on my own and started my own company but it still hurts.

There were times when coincidence stepped in and saved me. I took my brother with me to a business meeting and I thank God I did. Could have been a terrible position I put myself in but I thought of my past with item #1 above and just felt I needed someone with me. He saw what a jerk this guy was (head of a corporation from another state) and we decided after that meeting to form our own company. I was 24, he was 19 and everyone told us we would fail. Well, we lasted 17 years, 34 employees at the height and those were the best years of my life. I'm so thankful I was able to share it with my brother. He and I will always have a bond. (All those years of playing Monopoly as kids and going to work with our dad paid off). I would do anything for him and probably vice versa. The best brother.

Less of a risk taker today but I did take some risks back then but mostly work related.

As far as family betrayals go, none there. We're all good there. Grateful for that but I don't sweat the small stuff.
Awesome you made the work betrayals work in your favor!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:58 PM

24,045 posts, read 8,391,998 times
Everything we go thru are life's lessons, they have been for me. The divorce I went thru was "the end of the world" at the time and a whole new world opened it, it all unfolded...and the betrayer of the "vows" gave me a dear daughter who gave me 2 cool grandkids.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:17 PM

4,706 posts, read 3,274,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hey, I'm going to DQ. Anyone want anything?

I'd like a hot fudge sundae, extra large. Whipped cream and nuts. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 PM

7,854 posts, read 4,812,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'd like a hot fudge sundae, extra large. Whipped cream and nuts. Thanks!

Extra nuts, as I recall. Correct?

Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 PM

10,613 posts, read 14,394,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's fascinating to me that there are so many people policing *their* view of what the Retirement forum should be. I have NEVER clicked on a topic I had no interest in, yet, here you have scads of people clicking on this topic simply to complain it should not be here.

I view retirement as a time to reflect - so if you prefer to just think about insurance and money, have at it, but realize there are people with other interests in the world - and if you don't like a topic, don't click on it!
Hard to get at the meat if you don't crack the nut. People click on a topic to see the details, to see if it resonates with them.
People also ask for clarification because words can have shades of meaning, they can be mis-used, misunderstood, or misinterpreted.
Based on responses to many of your topics you seem to have a great deal of difficulty in eliciting non-confrontational discussions. They seem more designed for expressing aggression towards people who don't agree with you.

To answer your question, according to the viewpoint that monogamy isn't natural, then I guess I've been betrayed by only one person.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:25 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,430,622 times
My first ex wife tried to stab me with a pair of scissors, my second ex wife tried to run me over with a car. Meh, it happens.

Move on.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 PM

4,706 posts, read 3,274,740 times
Quote:
Extra nuts, as I recall. Correct?

Oh, you remembered!!!

Yes please!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 PM

56,436 posts, read 54,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I order a Whopper, it never looks like the picture on the menu. How seriously does a betrayal have to impact my life order to count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eREiQhBDIk

If you don't want to watch the first few minutes, start at 4:00 for relevancy.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 PM

56,436 posts, read 54,840,114 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm going to DQ. Anyone want anything?
Last month I saw them advertising a Creamsicle Blizzard. Do they still have them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or