U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 AM

7,292 posts, read 3,013,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I posted it in the Retirement forum is because I am retired AND, looking back over my life now, I am noticing lots of things . . . if a person is self-reflective in old age, they might assess their life and take score, or wonder about certain things - which is what I am doing.
Interesting. I catch myself reflecting on life and the past these days, but find I do the opposite of what you describe. The "scores" and the entries on the cards are fading, and I have less and less interest in keeping them current. Or, they've been torn up entirely and tossed as old useless baggage no longer worth dragging along. Instead, by assessing or reflecting I find that does more to sum things up, draw a line under them, and drop them. I can only bring to mind a couple of actions by others so significant I'd use the label "betrayal" anyway. People have disappointed me fairly often but it didn't rise to deliberate betrayal. The few events were also done by people I no longer have any connection to or interest in either so it makes no sense to remind myself of them. They belong to the universe...and the universe can do whatever it likes with them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-25-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 05:06 AM

6,754 posts, read 8,106,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hey, I'm going to DQ. Anyone want anything?
A Dip Cone...one of them big’uns

Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,247,456 times
a couple times but i am not keeping score.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:33 AM

5,866 posts, read 4,880,982 times
Quote:
Yes - I am speaking of all of the different kinds of betrayal you mentioned. My experience yesterday was with a business professional I had a 15 year relationship with - would have never seen it coming.

To answer your question, and the question of all of the others who click on a subject they have no interest in - the REASON I posted it in the Retirement forum is because I am retired AND, looking back over my life now, I am noticing lots of things . . . if a person is self-reflective in old age, they might assess their life and take score, or wonder about certain things - which is what I am doing.

The responses seem to indicate that most people do not experience betrayal over their long lives, which is something I would not have expected - so I learned something, which was the reason for my posting.
Or they have a very different definition of betrayal, which is why someone asked you to define betrayal.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,605,207 times
Betrayed is a strong... but sometimes appropriate word.

In that context I can say that I've only been betrayed in my life by one person, so I count myself fortunate. And in the past few months, after 30 years of zero contact, she appeared on my Facebook account as a "Friend Request"! Still delusional after all these years.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM

8,243 posts, read 18,549,152 times
Quote:
I am astounded every time someone asks for definitions of common words. I am pretty sure you know what the word means. If, by some strange fluke, you don't (and that would be REALLY WEIRD), then you can always google the dictionary definitions.

Here is more of a discussion of examples of betrayal:

https://www.excelatlife.com/articles/betrayed.htm
That was kind of a dismissive and rude answer for a question that I was
wondering myself. Maybe it is your own attitude which promulgates this
reaction in others.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-25-2019, 09:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 6,965,457 times
More times than I can count. I try not to dwell on it or be bitter. It does me no good now to reflect on betrayals of the past.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 AM

5,049 posts, read 2,324,575 times
I’ve never been betrayed romantically.

I’ve been betrayed in annoying but common ways, such as; ‘your rates will never go up ...’

I’ve been betrayed by the NIH; ‘Of course, this is safe for children ...’

I’ve been betrayed by a social agenda; ‘You can have/be/do it all ...’

That’s what comes to mind at first for me; those last two were game changers, for sure.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:11 AM

5,016 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Interesting. I catch myself reflecting on life and the past these days, but find I do the opposite of what you describe. The "scores" and the entries on the cards are fading, and I have less and less interest in keeping them current. Or, they've been torn up entirely and tossed as old useless baggage no longer worth dragging along. Instead, by assessing or reflecting I find that does more to sum things up, draw a line under them, and drop them. I can only bring to mind a couple of actions by others so significant I'd use the label "betrayal" anyway. People have disappointed me fairly often but it didn't rise to deliberate betrayal. The few events were also done by people I no longer have any connection to or interest in either so it makes no sense to remind myself of them. They belong to the universe...and the universe can do whatever it likes with them.
It's hard to describe the process accurately. I am not keeping score. I have gotten over every betrayal (as much as is possible) - and have forgiven everyone. Even the betrayal of a couple of days ago . . . what I was trying to convey is that I tend to be philosophical - so when something like this happens, I think about the fact that similar things have happened before and merely *wonder* about that . . . I seem to have had more than my fair share of betrayals if this forum is any indication . . . and I don't know why that is - bad luck, bad judge of character, etc. It's just interesting to me because it is my life and I am just taking a snapshot of "my life" from many facets or perspectives.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:12 AM

5,016 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That was kind of a dismissive and rude answer for a question that I was
wondering myself. Maybe it is your own attitude which promulgates this
reaction in others.
Hilarious. So "blame the victim." It is my fault that I have been betrayed. Got it!!!

It was a snippy comment, I'll admit, but the reason it was asked was to undermine - everyone knows what the word means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or