U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

5,015 posts, read 1,906,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sounds like this should be in the Relationships Forum, not the Retirement Forum unless they screwed you out of your retirement...LOL
I wonder what you mean by the bolded word "retirement." I could wage a guess that it would have to do with a pension or 401k.

Actual "retirement" consists of much more than $ - it's lifestyle and everything that comes with it.

I put the post here because I wondered, after a lifetime, if people had been betrayed along the road. It's a philosophical question and it turns out it is on the uncommon side (on this forum, don't know how that equates to the general population).

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And a Peanut Buster Parfait, please!

OP, I canít imagine there isnít anyone among us that hasnít had this happen to us.

But the thing is, I donít dwell on stuff like that because itís not healthy to dwell on stuff like that. You learn your lesson and you move on.

Now you can either cut that person out of your life as I have done when someone pulled high drama antics on me, or you can realize maybe there was more going on than just your transaction with him and maybe the two of you should talk it out and see what happens.

Thatís how adults handle it. Of course I donít do drama.
Perhaps you didn't read the thread - it is lengthy.

I posted right after an incident happened.

I haven't been "dwelling" on the issue of betrayal, but the latest incident just made me wonder how common it is.

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

11,960 posts, read 20,449,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Perhaps you didn't read the thread - it is lengthy.

I posted right after an incident happened.

I haven't been "dwelling" on the issue of betrayal, but the latest incident just made me wonder how common it is.
I didnít say you were dwelling. I said I donít dwell.

As I said, at this point, with it so fresh, you should be considering do you want to discuss this with the other person to save the friendship, or has that bridge of no return has been crossed and are you done?

I pretty much am one of those line in the sand people, once that line is crossed. I am done, it is over, thatís all she wrote. Other people are not like that theyíre willing to go back and discuss but, for me, once the trust is completely broken, itís completely broken and Iím done. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, youíre history.

I have never regretted that decision.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I didnít say you were dwelling. I said I donít dwell.

As I said, at this point, with it so fresh, you should be considering do you want to discuss this with the other person to save the friendship, or has that bridge of no return has been crossed and are you done?

I pretty much am one of those line in the sand people, once that line is crossed. I am done, it is over, thatís all she wrote. Other people are not like that theyíre willing to go back and discuss but, for me, once the trust is completely broken, itís completely broken and Iím done. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, youíre history.

I have never regretted that decision.
Oh, I guess you missed the post where I might have gone into it a little bit. The person bailed on me in the middle of a transaction. I did try to talk to him during the incident . . . it's over - the relationship was severed by him.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM

17,692 posts, read 11,255,729 times
Quote:
I am astounded every time someone asks for definitions of common words. I am pretty sure you know what the word means. If, by some strange fluke, you don't (and that would be REALLY WEIRD), then you can always google the dictionary definitions.

Here is more of a discussion of examples of betrayal:

https://www.excelatlife.com/articles/betrayed.htm

Don't get all pissy here, I was just as confused as the other person asking what you meant. I am fairly literate, so I know the meaning of betrayed, but the context is what is confusing here. Your post did not give much information, so please elaborate.

Old Today, 06:18 AM

300 posts, read 152,428 times
Quote:
I am going to try to ignore the "haters!" Lol . . .

What I have learned thus far from posting this thread:

1) Some people have never been betrayed (I would not have even considered that as possible prior to this thread).
2) Some people have been horribly betrayed and have shared some stories.
3) Some people have explained that they have been "disappointed" in people, but didn't feel the disappointments rose to the level of "betrayal."
4) There are mean-spirited people in the world and on this forum, and maybe some of the people who have attacked my character are the same types of people who actively betray others. I am not sure about this, but it did serve me to see the venom some others have against strangers. I needed to realize this on another level.
5) I can be snarky and I don't usually take attacks lying down - I "fight" back (trying to change that when it doesn't serve me to interact with someone - when it is "banging your head against the wall")
6) I realized that some people do not like to talk about "personal" subjects - again, I needed to learn this because it is totally opposite of me. I think it is "weird" that some people have criticized me for "asking personal questions" (like they didn't realize they don't have to answer ANY questions about anything) - the conclusion I made about this is that these people are likely "shut down" emotionally, and probably have a lot in common with the people I used to have to interact with in corporations - kind of robot people and I admit I have much animosity towards them, so I guess that comes out.

What I wrote above is personal and I am being vulnerable - I don't doubt that some will attack - I wonder if anyone will share any of their process or vulnerabilities on this subject or their reactions to the "audacity" I had to post this question.
So if someone takes issue with your post that person is a hater ("hater")? And as I read it, no one has attacked your character. It would be interesting and very revealing to hear from those in your life who allegedly betrayed you.
The more you post, the more apparent it becomes you are the author of your own problems. Get to counseling, you need it more than you realize. Now you can put me on ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or