U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,568,581 times

Advertisements

The title says" In your long life" so it's relevant to the retirement forum to me.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM

26 posts, read 5,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
What does the word "astounded" mean?

That's mean. you made me choke on my drink. LOL

Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM

17,973 posts, read 54,368,967 times
I've been betrayed in work and business a few times. Oddly, they all went bankrupt. Oh, darn.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM

7,854 posts, read 4,812,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've been betrayed in work and business a few times. Oddly, they all went bankrupt. Oh, darn.
And you go around saying, “They call me Mr. Karma.”

Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM

12,122 posts, read 5,199,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The title says" In your long life" so it's relevant to the retirement forum to me.
LOL, you can put "In your long life" in front of any thread. That doesn't mean every thread is related to retirement just because someone has had a long life.
In your long life, how have you dealt with nasty neighbors?
In your long life, how many times has your home been broken into?
In your long life, how many times have you hired a plumber?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM

189 posts, read 114,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, you can put "In your long life" in front of any thread. That doesn't mean every thread is related to retirement just because someone has had a long life.
In your long life, how have you dealt with nasty neighbors?
In your long life, how many times has your home been broken into?
In your long life, how many times have you hired a plumber?
Don't encourage the OP

Old 07-24-2019, 10:10 AM

5,016 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree totally. I can't tell if you're talking about a friendship betrayal, spousal betrayal, betrayal by a business partner, etc. Any of these types of betrayal would put this topic into another forum for discussion, but they have nothing to do with retirement unless you want to discuss that being retired you just sit around and brood on all the people who have betrayed you. Is that your actual focus?
Yes - I am speaking of all of the different kinds of betrayal you mentioned. My experience yesterday was with a business professional I had a 15 year relationship with - would have never seen it coming.

To answer your question, and the question of all of the others who click on a subject they have no interest in - the REASON I posted it in the Retirement forum is because I am retired AND, looking back over my life now, I am noticing lots of things . . . if a person is self-reflective in old age, they might assess their life and take score, or wonder about certain things - which is what I am doing.

The responses seem to indicate that most people do not experience betrayal over their long lives, which is something I would not have expected - so I learned something, which was the reason for my posting.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM

13,435 posts, read 6,428,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And you go around saying, “They call me Mr. Karma.”
Exactly, all the people so supposedly betrayed me have received very severe karma, not something I wish on anybody, but it’s karma.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 AM

5,016 posts, read 1,906,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This is the Retirement forum, where I wouldn't expect a large number of people under sixty, and he OP does say in the title "In Your Long Life......." which does further emphasize older people and a long view.

Is it about Social Security, pensions, Medicare...and so on, which are rather specific to the state of not working any longer? No, it isn't. But then other threads in this forum do not touch those either: Tiredness in Old Age, The Millionaire TV Show, and on and on. Why is the first not in the Health forum then? And the second in Entertainment?

Perhaps the moderators ought to find a way to chop the forum in two so that there is a section specific to the mechanics of retirement, and another section for taking the long/reflective view of things.
It's fascinating to me that there are so many people policing *their* view of what the Retirement forum should be. I have NEVER clicked on a topic I had no interest in, yet, here you have scads of people clicking on this topic simply to complain it should not be here. I imagine these are the same people who sit on HOA boards - there are just people who are not curious, not self-reflective - just basically shallow - who only seem to think about insurance and money. And then there are others who look at this phase of life as something precious - and reflect on all of it - the good and the bad - and assess what has happened. That's what I am trying to do and I am surprised every day by people.

To answer some question: Yes, I am on the naive and idealistic side - but sometimes you are just blind sighted. The person who betrayed me yesterday I thought was a loyal business cohort - had no clue he could not be trusted! I am shocked and there were no signs!

To the people who say they have NEVER been betrayed: You must live in a vacuum - there is no possible way I can believe this - I think it's just an attempt to brag and say you are perfect and your life has been perfect and that is B.S.

I view retirement as a time to reflect - so if you prefer to just think about insurance and money, have at it, but realize there are people with other interests in the world - and if you don't like a topic, don't click on it!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 AM

5,405 posts, read 6,563,088 times
Well, get what you are saying OP

But at this point in my life, I look forward and really don't reflect on the past. Any self reflection was done as something occurred. And the past can't be changed nor would I change what happened. It made me who I am today.

I do stand ready to offer any wisdom gained to my children and grandchildren but only if asked. Which seems to be happening more as they get older.

So to answer your question, no I haven't really been betrayed (taking betrayal as an absolutely, horrible event). I have been treated badly on occasion. And I have not always have been as kind as I should have been. Some may see that (lack of kindness) as a betrayal.

So life is good from my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or