Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 02:16 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I had this happen with an old credit card that I wasn't using. The bank sent me a letter stating that it was going to close the account due to inactivity. I hadn't used the card in several years. I was surprised, but apparently banks don't want "inactive" accounts on their books. This is different from your situation since there weren't any funds to send to the state. But it was the first time this has happened in my case.
Credit card companies only have so much money so if you've got a credit limit of say $10grand and don't use it.. that's $10grand that they can't use for someone who might actually spend that much.

I've had 2 major credit cards closed due to inactivity. It could impact your credit score due to the credit to debit ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Credit card companies only have so much money so if you've got a credit limit of say $10grand and don't use it.. that's $10grand that they can't use for someone who might actually spend that much.

I've had 2 major credit cards closed due to inactivity. It could impact your credit score due to the credit to debit ratio.
I've only ever had one credit card and I pay it off every month.
No mortgage and no car payment.
My score is over 800

In my case not having multiple cards has not impacted my score at all.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I've only ever had one credit card and I pay it off every month.
No mortgage and no car payment.
My score is over 800

In my case not having multiple cards has not impacted my score at all.
Not even a few points? If not a perfect score do you know why?

Old 07-25-2019, 04:04 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not even a few points? If not a perfect score do you know why?
I've never had more than one card ever. Maybe that was the reason ?
I do use the card for everything and then pay the bill each month. That's how I track my budget.
I've had mortgages/car loans in the past.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Fear not. If you choose to ignore the letter and the money escheats to the state, it is not lost. You can claim it. Every state has a website that lists unclaimed money and you only need to offer proof of owner ship to claim it.\

You should actually go now to the site for your state and see if your name might be there. Myself, I looked a few years ago, just on a lark, and I found $68. give or take. I sent the required documentation and they sent me a check. Easy Peasy..

WARNING: Don't sign up for "help collecting funds" because they'll take a cut and it isn't hard to handle it on your own.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:20 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Banks are required to do that and the time limit varies by each state.
It's sent to the state and becomes unclaimed property.
Exactly. I worked in banking for 11 years and did a lot of work with escheatment accounts. DC is 3 years and Virginia is five years for example.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
This is nothing new. Been around a long time..........

Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah.
They took $3500 from me once.

A savings account at a credit union.
I was cheesed.
No warning.

Then you have to pay a fee to get it back.

It was a savings account. At the time, interest was fantastic. Why would you just randomly move money around?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

I have cc with a large limit that I never use. Like for 20 years, I mighta used it once a year.

Never closed.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
My bank called an account 'dormant' with a $5 monthly fee if there was no activity for three months. So I opened another account, with a standing order to transfer a dollar between accounts every month. Saved me $60 a year, and willl never escheat, even if I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement