U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Clubs/groups/etc in Retirement versus Previously?
I've always enjoyed clubs/groups and still do 13 40.63%
No interest then, but I enjoy them now 4 12.50%
Used to enjoy being in them, but not anymore 1 3.13%
Never had any interest and still don't 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

1,695 posts, read 592,510 times

Advertisements

Has your desire to participate in clubs, groups, etc increased now that you're retired, or has it stayed pretty much the same as it was when you were younger?

I'm curious because a fair percentage of the posters here have cited various groups that they belong to, or expressed a desire to relocate somewhere that has more such opportunities than currently available to them.

ETA: I realized after making the poll that I probably should have included an option for "would have participated before but had no time" ... but I guess that does fall into the first category choice because it was a case of "woulda if I coulda", LOL

Last edited by BBCjunkie; Yesterday at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

6,756 posts, read 1,408,480 times
I hope to join some small groups, such as a book club or political discussion group after retirement, but I will just have to wait and see what is available!

I haven't before now due to the lack of time when I was working full-time and transportation issues now.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

11,116 posts, read 12,514,588 times
I used to. Oh scout leader, church leader, mentor, various clubs and work associations, state coordinator.

Retired I have totally zero interest. None. Nada. My time is MINE now.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

4,052 posts, read 1,133,954 times
I guess I belong to the C-D group now. That's about it.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

4,353 posts, read 6,073,215 times
A few girl pals are always nice but I don't need a mob of people around me to have fun.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

3,928 posts, read 2,891,269 times
I voted even though I am not retired yet as my involvement has ramped up and I don't see it likely to slow. I am including local online groups that have organized activities IRL even if they are not "official" clubs. I have been terrible about making and keeping friends as an adult and I am consciously taking steps to avoid ending up sitting around being miserable because I don't have people to enjoy some of my hobbies with while I can still do them (which will hopefully be a long time).

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

13,412 posts, read 6,411,220 times
Technically 2 clubs, but I can drop in and out anytime. No dues, no fees, nothing.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

6,363 posts, read 5,094,738 times
I was always in some group or club when i was in school. I enjoyed it.

I'm a member of a couple of groups now. We support our small town library. Enjoy doing that. I joined the VFW, but those old dudes - they are set in their ways.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

13,351 posts, read 25,621,216 times
I was always too tired from night shifts to do much of anything except necessary stuff when not sleeping or working.
In my retirement life, I look to such things as a way to meet people in my new town, and to add to my horse life by volunteering with therapeutic riding (two groups). Volunteering and attending fundraising things seem to be a major activity here in this town.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

5,187 posts, read 8,715,266 times
Smile Always a joiner

I've belonged to things all my life. It gave me a purpose, a connection.

My mom was all about giving back. Even when they didn't have anything, they thought of others.

I loved my middle school years and freshman year. I went to a small private school in and everyone joined something.

This carried into high school. I knew no one that sophomore year but joining clubs was a big part of my life. I would work until 7:55 PM and head over to the school for that night's meeting. I was in everything.
I spoke up once about "Why don't people just get along?" and from that remark I became president of the Bi-Racial Club which was eye opening and actually a lot of fun. All of us worked really hard to bring all together and we did it our year.

As an adult, I felt a bit lost and didn't feel I had a place. Then, I found Junior League and that gave me many years of volunteering both out in the community and within the League itself. I loved my years there.
I did try some professional organizations but I felt they were cut throat.

I've also volunteered at church and in my community. But looking into the future, I want to find a place where I can benefit from the social activities and learn how to do the things I've never done. I want to spend time with people and build relationships.

I've always had to work but I know I will need something to replace it. I do like projects; I like goals; I like to be productive but I also want to have some fun. I'm not there yet. I have a lot to learn. My vision has gotten in the way of a lot of it but I still want to try and find that hidden talent (LOL).

I love animals (dogs mostly) but I know there are other things. My husband wants our Collie to become a therapy dog. He loves children (both husband and dog).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or