U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 AM

4,354 posts, read 6,077,228 times

Advertisements

Kenyon electric. Love it. Can't tell the difference. Easy to clesn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 AM

3,503 posts, read 4,196,667 times
I have a BGE clone and Blackstone Flattop and try to use one of them at least once a week. I have learned a bunch from the EggHead forum (https://eggheadforum.com/).

Here's a humorous, but good explanation of the various types of BBQ (and why BBQ is a Noun, not a Verb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,583,788 times
Since we live in florida we get to grill 24/7/365!!. I have a 4 burner weber gas grill and a weber kettle. I have a BGE for my smoker and a three burner camp chef stove for my flat top and cast iron pot to deep fry. I have a turkey fryer as well for seafood boils. We built a 8 x 15 ft roof over our deck to house most of the equipment . We also put a nice 12 x 12 area on the deck for an outdoor kitchen with full bar and room for four bar stools all under a 55" tv. Wife tells me I make it hard to eat out in restaurants when the food is better at home. Is it football season yet?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,959 posts, read 54,716,541 times
I'm still working but still find plenty of time to smoke foods on weekends and even evenings. My BBQ grill is double, one side gas, the other side charcoal. On the gas side I can use a tray of water-soaked wood chips, on the charcoal side I lay them right onto the coals. In addition I have an electric smoker that I use for trout, salmon, and beef jerky. Then in the kitchen I have a metal box smoker with tight lid that allows me to smoke food on the stove.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM

5,048 posts, read 2,322,157 times
My parents neighbor just passed away & this summer doesn’t seem the same without the wonderful smells that had wafted from his backyard for the last 25 years.

I wish I could tell you what he used. He even made his own sauce; had it down to an art. I always thought he could have a ‘thing’ going on with a cool logo (He was the retired ‘Curly’ from the Harlem Globetrotters but I knew him as Bill).

But he just did it for the pure joy of it! A bonus was that he insisted on always bring my parents a huge sampler platter but my parents were/are vegans so that meant it got routed to me; yum!

Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM

29,903 posts, read 34,959,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Since we live in florida we get to grill 24/7/365!!. I have a 4 burner weber gas grill and a weber kettle. I have a BGE for my smoker and a three burner camp chef stove for my flat top and cast iron pot to deep fry. I have a turkey fryer as well for seafood boils. We built a 8 x 15 ft roof over our deck to house most of the equipment . We also put a nice 12 x 12 area on the deck for an outdoor kitchen with full bar and room for four bar stools all under a 55" tv. Wife tells me I make it hard to eat out in restaurants when the food is better at home. Is it football season yet?
My wife says the same thing!

Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM

293 posts, read 143,270 times
We have a gas grill and a smoker. Last month we found a 22 inch Weber Kettle on clearance and bought it. I forgot how good food is cooked with charcoal. We haven't had charcoal in over 30 years. I think we have used it 20 times since we bought it. We usually cook a few things so we make multiple meals out of what we cook.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM

3,066 posts, read 2,035,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the things retirement offers is the time to barbq,grill and smoke food. Especially low and slow. How many of do? I belong to a number of grilling groups with members having pictures with their handle. Verrrrrrrry few seem to be retirement age or close to. So are we enjoying our time cooking in the great outdoors?

What is our equipment? Gas, wood, pellets etc.

What is the best equipment for older folks or as we age?

What do we like to cook with time to do it?

This is about outdoor cooking IN retirement.

Many of my BBQ buddies are retired, or near it. We started grilling and Q-ing long before that, though. You should have seen our first efforts. Or maybe not!

El Cheapo Brinkmann, Weber kettle, Kamander (the newest, and a great favorite), full-size gas rig, Weber Mini-Q (great for quick-scorched dogs, burgers and skinless boneless chicken), a Foreman electric, and a hibachi.

We do ribs and butt pretty well by now. Along with beer can chicken, and a few other dishes.

Currently eyeing pellets and offsets.

I think 'best' as we age is completely subjective. There are folks older than we are who can handle offsets and stick burners and who do competition Q. Me, I'm lazy. I like gas for beer can chicken because SKIN.

The Kamado-types, though, can do a LOT. Very versatile, from one unit.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:42 AM

26,101 posts, read 33,121,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the things retirement offers is the time to barbq,grill and smoke food. Especially low and slow. How many of do? I belong to a number of grilling groups with members having pictures with their handle. Verrrrrrrry few seem to be retirement age or close to. So are we enjoying our time cooking in the great outdoors?

What is our equipment? Gas, wood, pellets etc.

What is the best equipment for older folks or as we age?

What do we like to cook with time to do it?

This is about outdoor cooking IN retirement.
Well I am not there yet, but I look forward to having the time to do more outdoor cooking. I have a nice gas grill (a small Weber) that get way too little use due to time constraints, but I cook on it when I can.

I also have a small Smoky Joe charcoal grill, but to be honest it has not been used in years.

I probably spend much more time cooking over coals, in my dutch ovens. When we camp, that is usually how I cook. Breakfast is in one pan (cast iron) on the propane stove.

My BF loves smoked brisket, but that is something that will have to wait until I have time to figure it out LOL.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 AM

29,903 posts, read 34,959,090 times
One of the things grilling and smokers offer anyone but especially retirees is the opportunity to cook and prepare high quality meals at a fraction of the cost to eat out. Usually better than the best places. Crock pots and Instant Pots May enable you to cook less expensive cuts of meat and make them tender but nothing can replace smoke. Ribs can become a standard go to. Even frozen pizza on a Kamado is very good.

Yes we know smoke and meat isn’t the healthiest way to go but you can control the amount of salt and sugar used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement