U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 10:36 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,830,514 times

Advertisements

Keep the grill going folks, I do miss it.
We currently live deep in Appalachia, the smell of a grill will attract bears...so we lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM

14,061 posts, read 7,496,207 times
Steam, not smoke. Lobsters, steamed clams, and native corn on the cob.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain (looks like R2-D2) I pull out occasionally. I smoke bluefish for pate. I have way too many other things to do in my life during the summer to spend a full day doing low & slow very often. Once the beach is closed and the sailboat is hauled, I might smoke baby back ribs a few times for 4:30pm Patriots games with an early dinner at halftime.

I just replaced the Weber Genesis Silver with a Weber Genesis II E-310. 4th of July Saturday, we had people over for prime rib eye. I have access to a good butcher and had them cut up a half of a prime rib eye into six steaks. I usually make up a quick Bordelaise sauce from sauteed shallot/butter, red wine, More Than Gourmet demi glace stock base, and thyme.

I grill swordfish more than anything else since I have locally caught seafood. I do a rice vinegar/soy/sesame oil/fresh ginger/scallion/sesame seed/wasabi sauce for it that's kind-a my version of a tataki sauce but mostly rice vinegar and just a splash of soy.

My two quick & dirty gas grill things are Thai chicken satay and boneless chicken thighs in Korean BBQ sauce. Lobo brand satay mix. Marinate sliced up chicken breast in package A. Coconut milk and package B brought to a boil while whisking for the spicy peanut sauce. Sliced thin, you can get away with marinating for 30 minutes. I buy 30 oz plastic jars of Korean BBQ sauce. That just needs a quick dunk in the sauce before grilling and I'll use tongs to swish partially cooked boneless chicken thigh in the remaining BBQ sauce so it caramelizes more.

I haven't done it this summer but I also make Italian sausage burger patties grinding pork butt in the Kitchen Aid mixer using the meat grinder attachment. Garlic, paprika, oregano, ground fennel, fennel seed, salt & pepper. I'll make 10+ lbs of it freezing the patties in 5 cup food storage containers.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,604,061 times
Living in a city apartment & not having any outdoor space, no patio or balcony, is my biggest complaint. I have an elderly parent who lives in the 'burbs who I visit often & I keep a Weber Kettle charcoal grill that I use about half the year when I visit. This will not be able to continue for too much longer I fear & I will have to retire my toque.

I think about a next move to someplace with outdoor space but I wonder if I would be giving up too much in the trade, not sure I can afford to keep two places simultaneously. Any ladies in Tucson need a live-in grill chef Nov-Mar?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM

129 posts, read 50,934 times
Masterbuilt MES130B (Electric Smoker) - with remote internal meat thermometer.

Just spent the last two days working on a brisket, from trimming and applying rub Thursday, to the early morning injection of my personal (apple cider vinegar, beef bouillon, brine, and bourbon) mix, to the slow all day smoke from 7:30 to 5:30. I smoked with cherry, apple, hickory, and some chips from bourbon barrels. I used the "Texas Crutch" to get past the stall around 2:30pm and left it wrapped for the final push to my goal temperature at the end. It worked out perfectly for dinner last night.

And it was awesome!

To the OP, I bought the smoker the second week after retirement. I enjoy it immensely and am learning my craft well. However I'm a bit lazy and enjoy setting the temp and allowing the remote meat thermometer to buzz the receiver in my pocket when it's time to do something. I don't have to sit around and tend to it. I run errands and do other chores around the house while it's watching over the temps.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:29 PM

29,903 posts, read 34,959,090 times
^^^^^^^ Awesome

Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 20,112,219 times
DH always grills and smokes, and probably a little more in retirement. He uses an Acorn Kamado grill, and loves it. We do pizzas, and our Thanksgiving turkey on it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 PM

24 posts, read 8,426 times
When I do stop working, I will be doing a lot of grilling/smoking, probably not the healthiest thing I can do, but I've done many less than healthy things in my life.

My wife kids me that my new best friend is Bill from Bill's meat market...lol.

I must admit that I bought her a tee shirt from his butcher shop with his slogan on the front..."Can't Beat Bill's Meat"

Surprisingly, she hasn't worn it...

Old 07-27-2019, 12:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 20,112,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodog57 View Post
When I do stop working, I will be doing a lot of grilling/smoking, probably not the healthiest thing I can do, but I've done many less than healthy things in my life.

My wife kids me that my new best friend is Bill from Bill's meat market...lol.

I must admit that I bought her a tee shirt from his butcher shop with his slogan on the front..."Can't Beat Bill's Meat"

Surprisingly, she hasn't worn it...

That's my husband's name.... I must have that shirt!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 07-27-2019, 02:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 580,863 times
I'm relatively young (37) and just use my trusty Weber gas grill.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

49 posts, read 10,638 times
I have 16 year old Members Mark, Sams, grill with four burners, sear, and oven below which I converted to natural gas day one. Use the propane compartment for storage. I replace the $6 burners about every other spring, grates have been replaced once. It’s right out the sliding glass door, gas gate valve right behind it and I use an old style in ground sprinkler handle to reach the gate valve to turn on and off. Everything that doesn’t get smoked gets cooked on that. Used the oven just this morning to cook bacon. Keeps the cooking smell out of the house.

For smoking, I tried the tower propane smoker drill with wood chips and it was extremely time consuming. Then, I discovered Traeger. Bought my first one at CostCo 10 years ago or so. Smoking life changed at that point. It was a 22 series. Upgraded the controller once near the end to the duel temp probe version. Smoking life even got better.

Then the time came to go bigger but, I couldn’t bring myself to drop two grand on their monster. It has WiFi where you can control it and monitor it from anywhere you have a cell or internet connection. Wanted it, tried to justify it, still couldn’t do the 2K.

Then, one day this year, they released the Pro versions. My oh my. Could have gotten the 575 with about the same cooking room as what I had. But wait, we want to go bigger.

Local merchant locally owned, I like to keep my money local if I can, was beating Ace on a pre Father’s Day sale.

Pro 780, bigger, that satisfies the bigger part, included were, front shelf, I had added a front shelf to the 22 and that was a game changer, cover and two bags of pellets all for $999. Sold the 22 to a friend to get him going in pellet smoking for $400. Could have removed the shelf and returned it to CostCo for a full refund but I’m not wired that way.

The things I’ve been cooking since then beats the pants off anything you can buy at a restaurant even more so since the 22 became part of the family. No more going out to the smoker to check temp or make temp adjustments or look to see what the internal temp is on the meat.

Last weekend I cooked beef chuck ribs, four bones, not spare ribs with no meat, big juicy flint stone bones that were excellent. Split a turkey breast that went on for the final 2.5 hours of the six hour cook. Tossed corn on the cob on the top shelf the last 40 minutes for corn salad with a smoky flavor.

Total cost for everything with sides about $100. Four meals and better tasting food than any place in town.

We eat good. My wife is the chef, she makes her own BBQ sauce to die for, and excellent sides. I’m the grill master. We LOVE leftovers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement