U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:54 AM

106 posts, read 15,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
With the cost of cigs today...who wouldn’t quit.
If I was still smoking today, the financial cost would be $15 a day...no thanks.
Cost would never have been a motivator to me. I think I was paying about $20/carton when I quit in 1993. I smoked Kool.

Very occasionally I think I'd like one, especially when drinking beer and relaxing. I can't say I wouldn't think about smoking again if I was diagnosed with something and given 6 months to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:17 AM

939 posts, read 486,246 times
"Still Smoking In Your Retirement Years......"
Darn right, Smokin Hot and getting better every day!

Old Today, 07:22 AM

11,117 posts, read 12,517,973 times
Never smoked cigarettes. I smoke a couple of good cigars a day and an occasional pipe. Nothing like a good cigar with some bourbon in the evening.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 5,334,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I quit when they went up to 50cents/pack. I'd been paying 35 cents.

Starting a topic and saying what people shouldn't say is rather a lesson in futility. Just because you started it doesn't mean you get to control it.
So you're against asking people to stay on topic?

Old Today, 10:07 AM

17,465 posts, read 21,309,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
With the cost of cigs today...who wouldn’t quit.
If I was still smoking today, the financial cost would be $15 a day...no thanks.
I buy a one pound bag of Red Cap (Smooth Cigar tobacco which is my favorite), dry it on a cookie sheet, crush it with my hands, and I sift them into empty filtered cigarette tubes, 4 at a time, tap, sift, tap, sift and then tie it at the end. One pound bag is $18, a box of 250 empty filter cigarettes is 2-$2.50 for 250. So that brings the cost of one pack down to roughly $2.25. It's hardly any work at all, I do it watching TV.

As for having COPD and still smoking, well, my Aunt, in her late 70's, was diagnosed with it, she quit for a year and she was still having respiratory attacks quite frequently, so she then returned to smoking and died a few years later. What people fail to understand with COPD, when the damage is done the damage is done, it's not reversible. Similarly, if you're diagnosed with AIDS, the damage has been done, it's not reversible.

I'm still at that stage of using Combivent 1-2X a day and Symbicort 1X per day, and Ventolin now and then, I'm still far away from using oxygen. What anyone with COPD needs to be safeguarded against is being in a windstorm and breathing in all that fine silica, when winter arrives to bundle up really warm, keep a mask handy, and I keep a supply of antibiotics on hand.

My miscalculation came from my Dad, having smoked 3 packs of Kool's a day, for 50+ years, who quit at 66, and made it to 96 without ever needing an inhaler or oxygen.

You don't have to spend much time watching the news today to realize this planet is becoming more precarious by the day. When I read of the ongoing heat wave in Europe, shattering records, 108 in Paris, I just want to smoke a few extra cigarettes every day, hoping they're right, it will shorten my lifespan.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

221 posts, read 112,105 times
Gave up tobacco 6 years ago and switched to e-cigs. Best move I've ever made. both physically and financially. I've saved at least $11,000 on cigs v's the money spent on vaping and no more "morning cough".

Old Today, 10:12 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,602,755 times
Well I had a faint hope we would be discussing smoking wacky weed & some fond memories now around the 50th anniversary of Woodstock in a few weeks. Maybe catch a buzz & watch the movie in a big theatre & remember when we had hair, long or not, & were skinny & believed in "free love" (& smoked cigarettes). Ahh memories...

After I had quit cigs for 10 years I deluded myself that I could "just enjoy" the occasional cigarette with a drink or coffee. It took me another year or 2 to quit again - addiction is addiction. Never again, but I won't stop, let alone arrest & threaten with jail time, those who do wish to smoke tobacco.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

3,532 posts, read 1,563,392 times
Our neighbor does. But only a few a day, I think. He's 67. He also broils himself in the sun, face uncovered. He says it's his derm doc's job to scrape off his lesions and then he's good to go. He gets yearly physicals and blood tests. He rides motorcycles too.

He also drinks half a bottle of vodka a day. He works outside for hours cleaning the beach too and is fit.

So he has his own way of viewing life and how to enjoy it. I kind of agree with him, partly. He's the happiest, most cheerful guy I know...

Old Today, 11:32 AM

1,128 posts, read 595,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm still at that stage of using Combivent 1-2X a day and Symbicort 1X per day, and Ventolin now and then, I'm still far away from using oxygen. What anyone with COPD needs to be safeguarded against is being in a windstorm and breathing in all that fine silica, when winter arrives to bundle up really warm, keep a mask handy, and I keep a supply of antibiotics on hand.
You are lucky you are over 65 and probably can get drugs cheaply. I'm not yet 65 and I have an awful non-ACA compliant insurance plan that doesn't pay for any prescriptions so I'm happy I don't have COPD (that I know about).

I did quit smoking 13 years ago, I have to admit I miss it now and then. I am afraid I've done some lung damage, I have to get a chest x-ray soon for some unrelated surgery (surgery and x-ray will be on my own dime) and I'm terrified of getting the x-ray!

I'm 50% retired so I still answered.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

56,413 posts, read 54,802,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how many quit, and have started up again, perhaps too much time on your hands? And what are you smoking and how much? A cigar now and then? E-cigs?

I'm 69YO, still smoking, but a lot less, about 12 cigarettes a day, oftentimes I just smoke a third, put it out, resume later, and I am diagnosed with COPD. I use the empty filter cigarettes and make my own with Indian tobacco that doesn't have all those additives. To have my first cigarette of the day, I just can't describe it, the pleasure it gives me.

I have joked with some of the seniors in my 55+ mobile home community about conducting some Start Smoking classes, and some actually take me seriously.

Let's keep this thread devoid of the health risks (haven't we heard enough of that!), cases of a family member died from lung cancer (but omitting those that died in car accidents or died from other diseases) and no lectures on 2nd hand smoke. Otherwise this thread will spread to 100 or more pages.
I quit seven years ago and won't start again, but the bolded is the part I don't think people get when they ask why people smoke.

It makes you feel good, it makes you happy, it makes your thought processes clearer and sharper. On a secondary note, it also builds a sense of social camaraderie, which is also a big reason why teenagers continue to smoke despite being raised with the known risks.

Unfortunately, none of those things are worth the long-term downsides, but they are the obvious reasons WHY people do smoke to begin with.

My oldest sister still smokes at 69. She's a retired nurse, too. Smokes some very light cigarettes. Merit maybe?

I was a Newport smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement