U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

56,426 posts, read 54,821,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You are lucky you are over 65 and probably can get drugs cheaply. I'm not yet 65 and I have an awful non-ACA compliant insurance plan that doesn't pay for any prescriptions so I'm happy I don't have COPD (that I know about).

I did quit smoking 13 years ago, I have to admit I miss it now and then. I am afraid I've done some lung damage, I have to get a chest x-ray soon for some unrelated surgery (surgery and x-ray will be on my own dime) and I'm terrified of getting the x-ray!

I'm 50% retired so I still answered.
I felt the same way! I had an attempted thyroidectomy a few years ago (they couldn't remove the thyroid once they got in and saw what was in my neck) but since I'd been under general anesthesia, they came in two or three times with the portable chest X-ray machine, and I thought "uh-oh". But there was nothing.

I know I can't relax and think I escaped just because I quit, though. I remember a few years back seeing Leonard Nimoy in his wheelchair at 83 with COPD, and he said he quit at 53 but it still caught up to him. I quit at 53, also.

I won't have any right to complain.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

24,008 posts, read 8,381,981 times
I thank my lucky stars all the time that my parents NEVER smoked as I believe that's where it all starts with the children picking up a cig, monkey see, monkey do.

I feel a sadness that my grandkids dad didn't see them graduate and go on to college as they have, he was gone at 55 due to smoking from a very young age, his parents did and did 4 of the 5 boys in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thank my lucky stars all the time that my parents NEVER smoked as I believe that's where it all starts with the children picking up a cig, monkey see, monkey do.

I feel a sadness that my grandkids dad didn't see them graduate and go on to college as they have, he was gone at 55 due to smoking from a very young age, his parents did and did 4 of the 5 boys in the family.
Rubbish. Neither of my parents ever smoked in their lives, and yet six of their seven children did.

Only two still do.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

24,008 posts, read 8,381,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rubbish. Neither of my parents ever smoked in their lives, and yet six of their seven children did.

Only two still do.
Not rubbish, my observations...thanks. Of the 5 boys in my son in law's family 4 have ended up with cancers, two are still going thru treatments and hanging on.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

1,129 posts, read 596,825 times
Quote:
Not rubbish, my observations...thanks. Of the 5 boys in my son in law's family 4 have ended up with cancers, two are still going thru treatments and hanging on.
Wow, that must be a record... 4 of 5 boys with lung cancer!

I have a friend that was diagnosed with lung cancer about 5 years ago, she went through some experimental drug study and is actually in remission right now. She has great insurance and this cost the insurance company a lot of money, something I could not afford if I had to get this drug due to my awful insurance. The horrible thing is, she smoked through the drug treatment and she is still smoking.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I felt the same way! I had an attempted thyroidectomy a few years ago (they couldn't remove the thyroid once they got in and saw what was in my neck) but since I'd been under general anesthesia, they came in two or three times with the portable chest X-ray machine, and I thought "uh-oh". But there was nothing.

I know I can't relax and think I escaped just because I quit, though. I remember a few years back seeing Leonard Nimoy in his wheelchair at 83 with COPD, and he said he quit at 53 but it still caught up to him. I quit at 53, also.

I won't have any right to complain.
I had a chest x-ray at my request when I quit smoking and it showed nothing. It might have been too early to see anything.

My mother died from COPD, not a pleasant way to go.

Congrats, MQ, I'll say a prayer that we both have no long term damage!

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I know it's your observations, but I'm telling you it's not accurate. Plenty of people smoked whose parents never did.

But that is a shame about your family members. Are they smoking-related cancers?

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I had a chest x-ray at my request when I quit smoking and it showed nothing. It might have been too early to see anything.

My mother died from COPD, not a pleasant way to go.

Congrats, MQ, I'll say a prayer that we both have no long term damage!
You know, when I went to the quit-smoking guy (he was a chiropractor who does auricular therapy) he said people fear lung cancer, but by far the bigger health issue resulting from smoking is heart disease.

That hit home to me, because while no one in my family has had cancer except for a grandfather who was a plumber from the 1920s to the 1960s and therefore whose cancer, I believe, was asbestos-related, most people die of heart attacks.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

16,403 posts, read 10,387,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So you're against asking people to stay on topic?

no, I'm against trying to control the conversation.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quote:
You know, when I went to the quit-smoking guy (he was a chiropractor who does auricular therapy) he said people fear lung cancer, but by far the bigger health issue resulting from smoking is heart disease.
Oh great, I have to get an EKG prior to the surgery too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement