U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

56,429 posts, read 54,821,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Oh great, I have to get an EKG prior to the surgery too!
I did, too!

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

24,016 posts, read 8,381,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know it's your observations, but I'm telling you it's not accurate. Plenty of people smoked whose parents never did.

But that is a shame about your family members. Are they smoking-related cancers?
I didn't say anything about being accurate, there are factors of everything we go thru in life. I was thanking my lucky stars my parents didn't, I'll never know how I might have turned out IF they had smoked. Nothing accurate just a lot of stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Wow, that must be a record... 4 of 5 boys with lung cancer!

I have a friend that was diagnosed with lung cancer about 5 years ago, she went through some experimental drug study and is actually in remission right now. She has great insurance and this cost the insurance company a lot of money, something I could not afford if I had to get this drug due to my awful insurance. The horrible thing is, she smoked through the drug treatment and she is still smoking.
Two boys died with lung cancers and the two still struggling it's mouth and throat cancers.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,251,118 times
67, still smoking, hour on the treadmill every day, I feel fine. When it's my time, it's my time.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,216,049 times
Brother in law still smoking into retirement. COPD and fluid on the lungs, hospitalized for several weeks, now on oxygen, and got kidney damage trying to find source of fluid on lungs. Still sneaks cigarettes between his 3x a week dialysis treatment, even carrying O2 bottles around. I think his mental state was also affected as he recently lost his home because he made stupid on the spot decisions. He just turned 70.

One of my brothers continues to smoke into retirement. Recently tried JUUL but said it was too harsh and he began getting burst blood vessels in his eyes. Back to smoking Seneca's and picking up a few cartons from the res every month or so. Lost his wife to cancer (NOT lung cancer although she did smoke) and says he doesn't care how and when he goes. Reeks of smoke and leaves butts wherever he goes, hacks up a lung coughing several times a day. Diagnosed with COPD and having more difficulty getting around. He is now 68.

My oldest brother kept smoking his Viceroys after retirement, but his retirement was more of a forced retirement due to health reasons as his COPD had made it difficult for him to work, and he was highly encouraged to take his pension as soon as eligible. His circulation was also affected, and he had 1 leg amputated but refused to quit smoking as he was convinced quitting would kill him. Lungs collapsed more than once, wouldn't quit. Started having min-strokes affecting his cognizance. Finally caught up with him at age 68. Now buried at Arlington Cemetery. Semper Fi.

These are just the facts, no lectures, etc. They all seemed to work really hard to continue to enjoy smoking into their retirement.

Me? I have never smoked cigarettes and have no desire to take a start smoking class, thank you.

Last edited by RocketSci; Yesterday at 02:29 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

4,793 posts, read 4,068,295 times
I saw the lady that retired from working at the hardware store & she looks like a million bucks. She had quit her 2 pack a day habit last year & kept it up. She used to have poor color and have trouble breathing & sounded awful, but no longer. She is a new woman! I was so surprised to see such a dramatic health recovery.

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

17,790 posts, read 4,131,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how many quit, and have started up again, perhaps too much time on your hands? And what are you smoking and how much? A cigar now and then? E-cigs?

I'm 69YO, still smoking, but a lot less, about 12 cigarettes a day, oftentimes I just smoke a third, put it out, resume later, and I am diagnosed with COPD. I use the empty filter cigarettes and make my own with Indian tobacco that doesn't have all those additives. To have my first cigarette of the day, I just can't describe it, the pleasure it gives me.

I have joked with some of the seniors in my 55+ mobile home community about conducting some Start Smoking classes, and some actually take me seriously.

Let's keep this thread devoid of the health risks (haven't we heard enough of that!), cases of a family member died from lung cancer (but omitting those that died in car accidents or died from other diseases) and no lectures on 2nd hand smoke. Otherwise this thread will spread to 100 or more pages.
I dont smoke but I may start having a cigar a day when im in my 80's or 90's because i would pass away soon at that point anyways.

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont smoke but I may start having a cigar a day when im in my 80's or 90's because i would pass away soon at that point anyways.
It could give you a more painful passing. I'd like to pass pretty healthy and when my heart is done it's done.

Curious what would that Cigar a day do?

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,051,732 times
One Saturday morning in 1961 I woke up with a collapsed lung. Very intense pain. There was no room for me at the hospital until the next day. Smoking ended for me on that day. The memory lingers on.

I always disliked the foul odor of cigars.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 1,900,160 times
It's super weird to me that people are still smoking with COPD.

I saw myself in the mirror, at around age forty - sucking in - and I immediately saw the image of a skeleton. That's all it took for me to get a positive hypnosis session (about how healthy I would be) and an acupuncture treatment where they leave the metal in you ear for a week. It was so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement