U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 08:57 PM

17,793 posts, read 4,140,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It could give you a more painful passing. I'd like to pass pretty healthy and when my heart is done it's done.

Curious what would that Cigar a day do?
I wouldnt be too concerned about it because we all have to go at some time.I figure they would give me painkillers if i was in lot of pain on my death bed.Also, that cigar would just be a simple pleasure if i was in my 90's.I would just want to enjoy a simple pleasure for a just a few years before i die.I am not a medical expert or doctor so idk what that cigar would do health wise if i started in my 90's but it would be over soon anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 09:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 398,947 times
On this morning’s cycling ride, in temps of near 100, I hit 30.6 mph on the flats while riding almost 40 miles. My highest output was just over 775 watts. I’d call that “smoking”.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 PM

638 posts, read 192,076 times
I'm still smoking hot, at least in my wildest dreams...

I've gone to the funerals of way too many of the parents of my contemporaries to have any doubts on the health effects of smoking cigarettes to excess. Three cases of emphysema, four of lung cancer, others with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. (although excess weight has almost always been a contributing factor). The one observation made in my life that I could easily defend, is that as a society, we aren't willing to pay the price for good health via the currency of self-control, moderation, and prudent living. I've got a file folder of mass cards that can attest to that.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 21,326,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I wouldnt be too concerned about it because we all have to go at some time.I figure they would give me painkillers if i was in lot of pain on my death bed.Also, that cigar would just be a simple pleasure if i was in my 90's.I would just want to enjoy a simple pleasure for a just a few years before i die.I am not a medical expert or doctor so idk what that cigar would do health wise if i started in my 90's but it would be over soon anyways.
Cigar smoking is the healthiest way of consuming tobacco. Source: Tobacco/A Cultural History of How An Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately. People forget that tobacco is also an herb with medicinal properties. The day will come, mark my words, that tobacco will be rediscovered like marijuana and there will be tobacco dispensaries for health.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's super weird to me that people are still smoking with COPD.
And I find it more than weird that someone who has escaped 2 near-fatal car accidents, and they continue to drive! My Pulmonologist told me: you need to quit! And I told him: Give me your car keys, from this day forward you are going to give up that dangerous addiction to owning and driving a car and you're going to get yourself a Bus Pass. You give up your dangerous addiction and I'll give up mine!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
You are lucky you are over 65 and probably can get drugs cheaply. I'm not yet 65 and I have an awful non-ACA compliant insurance plan that doesn't pay for any prescriptions so I'm happy I don't have COPD (that I know about).

I did quit smoking 13 years ago, I have to admit I miss it now and then. I am afraid I've done some lung damage, I have to get a chest x-ray soon for some unrelated surgery (surgery and x-ray will be on my own dime) and I'm terrified of getting the x-ray!

I'm 50% retired so I still answered.
For those that lived thru the worst smog days in Los Angeles (60's-90's) breathing in that foul air was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day, yes, even children on playgrounds, so if you lived in L.A. during that period, and smoked a couple packs of cigarettes a day, you were, theoretically, smoking 4 packs a day, and if that was the case, I'd be worried too. Nice to see that L.A. has reduced their Red Alert Days from 200 in the year 2000 to just 100 a year now. But still!

Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 AM

4,414 posts, read 5,950,654 times
Neither of my parents smoked, but in the 60s it was the cool thing to do. I had my first cig at age 11. In my late 30s, most of my social crowd smoked, but most of my 20-something co-workers did not. It was a real pain to go out to lunch with them and have to sit in "non smoking" and then rush outside to try to catch a quick butt before they went back to work. Plus, employers were starting to ban it and it was generally becoming more and more socially unacceptable. I quit cold-turkey at 37. Went through six weeks of withdrawal, swore I'd never go through that again. Never had any desire either.

The weirdest thing was, two people said to me (separately), "You quit smoking, didn't you?". They could tell just LOOKING at me because my color was so much better. I had nooo idea, I must've been super gray!

People can do what they want to do, knowing the health risks and all -- their choice. But the thing is, smokers, you STINK. Your breath stinks and your clothes stink. And that deep smokers' voice and cough. Hearing that wheeze when a smoker laughs. It's just so gross.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 AM

17,793 posts, read 4,140,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Cigar smoking is the healthiest way of consuming tobacco. Source: Tobacco/A Cultural History of How An Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately. People forget that tobacco is also an herb with medicinal properties. The day will come, mark my words, that tobacco will be rediscovered like marijuana and there will be tobacco dispensaries for health.
I think i can safely say that tobacco will never become a healthy product.Medicine has proved that.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:15 AM

1,129 posts, read 598,389 times
Quote:
And I told him: Give me your car keys, from this day forward you are going to give up that dangerous addiction to owning and driving a car and you're going to get yourself a Bus Pass. You give up your dangerous addiction and I'll give up mine!
Quote:
For those that lived thru the worst smog days in Los Angeles (60's-90's) breathing in that foul air was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day, yes, even children on playgrounds, so if you lived in L.A. during that period, and smoked a couple packs of cigarettes a day, you were, theoretically, smoking 4 packs a day, and if that was the case, I'd be worried too.
I totally understand you as a former heavy smoker. I made all the comparisons too ---- people are unhealthy who drink, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, drive, stand next to bus fumes, etc. It wasn't until years after I quit that I realized that was stinky thinking. I'm mad that the anti-smoking crown has come down on you (and me 15-20 years ago) and "forced" me to give up something that I enjoyed. How dare they!!!

I still travel quite a bit for work and I'm happy I quit because it would be a pain flying, staying in non-smoking hotels (99% are) and not being able to smoke in a rental car. Believe me when I say I loved it, sometimes still miss it and still get the odd craving 13+ years after quitting.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 AM

10,380 posts, read 4,926,224 times
I smoked on and off from the time I was 17, always quit when pregnant and nursing. I usually only smoked a half a pack a day. Hubby and I both quit 1/2000, a few years later he developed COPD, then in 2007 he was DX with lung cancer. He died in 2010 and I actually started smoking again because I was so distraught. Quit for good cold turkey in 2016. While I don't miss the actual smoking, I miss the whole lighting up and that first drag especially in the morning and after dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement