U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:48 AM

56,474 posts, read 54,891,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's super weird to me that people are still smoking with COPD.

I saw myself in the mirror, at around age forty - sucking in - and I immediately saw the image of a skeleton. That's all it took for me to get a positive hypnosis session (about how healthy I would be) and an acupuncture treatment where they leave the metal in you ear for a week. It was so easy.
They did the ear thing on me on the acupuncture points only using an electrode of some sort instead. Didn't feel anything except a little pressure. I still don't know how it worked, but it di. There were 18 of us there, and the provider talked to us for about an hour, telling us the treatment removes the physical craving but that we might have psychological issues and gave us a mantra to say every day for a month and some ideas for dealing with the psychological parts.

There were 18 of us there, and I was the last one in for the ear treatment. By then I really wanted a cig, but when he did that thing to my ear, the craving stopped. JUST WENT AWAY. It was the weirdest thing.

That was seven and a half years ago, and after 35 years of smoking, I've never had another cigarette. I can sit there where other people are smoking, and it doesn't bother me.

I once calculated that quitting smoking paid for my car.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM

2,451 posts, read 2,086,077 times
I am still working and don't smoke but I am considering starting as smokers get more breaks at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM

17,473 posts, read 21,336,575 times
When I attempted to try hypnosis to quit smoking, one time, the hypnotist told me I wasn't a candidate for hypnosis.

I tried acupuncture to quit one time, those electronic charges near the eyes, and then I got addicted to have the treatment over and over again, as it relaxed me so. One addiction to another.

What scares me the most about quitting is what happened to my sister and Dad when they finally quit, all the weight gain that followed.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:01 AM

578 posts, read 670,082 times
I quit in 2007 with the help of Chantix and glad I did

Old 07-28-2019, 10:23 AM

13,503 posts, read 6,448,935 times
My brother quit when his first son was born, but he didn’t gain any weight.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 AM

24,117 posts, read 8,426,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I am still working and don't smoke but I am considering starting as smokers get more breaks at work.
You've got to be joshing, right, J.B.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My brother quit when his first son was born, but he didnít gain any weight.
My son in law quit his first was born but it was too late, he missed both kids graduation from high school and colleges.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I smoked on and off from the time I was 17, always quit when pregnant and nursing. I usually only smoked a half a pack a day. Hubby and I both quit 1/2000, a few years later he developed COPD, then in 2007 he was DX with lung cancer. He died in 2010 and I actually started smoking again because I was so distraught. Quit for good cold turkey in 2016. While I don't miss the actual smoking, I miss the whole lighting up and that first drag especially in the morning and after dinner.
One will never miss what they don't start....just that simple.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's super weird to me that people are still smoking with COPD.

I saw myself in the mirror, at around age forty - sucking in - and I immediately saw the image of a skeleton. That's all it took for me to get a positive hypnosis session (about how healthy I would be) and an acupuncture treatment where they leave the metal in you ear for a week. It was so easy.
Yeah, it's hard to believe how some are wired...it's like they have death wishes.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:24 AM

279 posts, read 113,046 times
I never smoked, but at 64 I'm still kicking. My father's side of the family was decimated by smoking related cancers. . . i.e. bladder, lung, etc. Lost 6 blood aunt/uncles to cancer out of 7. 7th died of effects of childhood rheumatic fever at age of 75 . .

and I continue to lose cousins on same side from lung cancer (they all smoked).

Many of the rest of the non-smokers got cancer too, prostate, breast, etc. but none of those cancers has killed anyone yet. . fingers crossed. Me included (prostate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement