U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:52 AM

24,118 posts, read 8,426,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I never smoked, but at 64 I'm still kicking. My father's side of the family was decimated by smoking related cancers. . . i.e. bladder, lung, etc. Lost 6 blood aunt/uncles to cancer out of 7. 7th died of effects of childhood rheumatic fever at age of 75 . .

and I continue to lose cousins on same side from lung cancer (they all smoked).

Many of the rest of the non-smokers got cancer too, prostate, breast, etc. but none of those cancers has killed anyone yet. . fingers crossed. Me included (prostate)
Take your antioxidants and you'll be "kicking" even longer. I'm 81 soon and was still going to my gym in my mid 60's and now with advanced OA I stretch a lot at home and get bodywork...but healthy and thank my antioxidants: Vit C and Grape Seed Extract.

There is SO MUCH info about antioxidants and cancer prevention...including prostate. Stop in at the Alt Med area as there is so much info on Prevention. Sad that the majority of the population are clueless and so sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 11:54 AM

4,797 posts, read 3,221,294 times
I quit but I do cheat. When I do cheat, I don't inhale. (I know, I know it sounds like Bill Clinton.) If I started inhaling, I would be back to about a pack a day again. I usually cheat when I am with other smokers and sometimes I will have one before going to bed. There are times when I go for days without having any and some days I will only have ONE. Other days, I may have a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
I quit in 2007 with the help of Chantix and glad I did

I could have written this-2007 and with Chantix.

Cat

Old 07-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 11 days ago)

1,336 posts, read 440,512 times
Lung Cancer Mortality in Relation to Age, Duration of Smoking, and Daily Cigarette Consumption | Cancer Research

Our study confirms that years of cigarette smoking is far more important than the number of cigarettes smoked per day in predicting lung cancer risk in United States men, regardless of age, and provides new evidence that a qualitatively similar pattern holds for women.

I remember firefighting without SCBA, roll up boots, no gear decontamination protocols

I gave butts up 30 years ago.

Buried grandfather, father, mother ( died in our house on Christmas dad as she wanted hospice with us, brother who had 4 kids.

So far my lungs are fine.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:28 PM

33 posts, read 7,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Never smoked cigarettes. I smoke a couple of good cigars a day and an occasional pipe. Nothing like a good cigar with some bourbon in the evening.
One cigar a week in the summer and I am sure that you will agree that life is too short for cheap whiskey.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:37 PM

17,473 posts, read 21,336,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yeah, it's hard to believe how some are wired...it's like they have death wishes.
Ding-ding! We All have death wishes in one form or another, and we're talking subconsciously. Subconsciously, we all want to return to the warmth and safety of our mother's wombs, and we're talking metaphorically.

And what's wrong with having a death wish? At the turn of the last century, the average lifespan of an American was 46, and what am I doing living to 69-70? I've lived a "rich" life, traveled the world, and isn't it time to leave?

Old 07-29-2019, 02:35 AM

23,813 posts, read 17,734,769 times
My smoking consists of an occasional cigar. Iím probably down to one per month. You need time to smoke a cigar and I rarely do it in the summer.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:37 PM

247 posts, read 221,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I quit when they went up to 50cents/pack. I'd been paying 35 cents.
Ditto. I guessing you quit in the mid 70ís. My date - Nov 17, 1978.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM

24,118 posts, read 8,426,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ding-ding! We All have death wishes in one form or another, and we're talking subconsciously. Subconsciously, we all want to return to the warmth and safety of our mother's wombs, and we're talking metaphorically.

And what's wrong with having a death wish? At the turn of the last century, the average lifespan of an American was 46, and what am I doing living to 69-70? I've lived a "rich" life, traveled the world, and isn't it time to leave?
It's time when our heart stops. I have no death wish. And do my best to keep healthy until the heart does it's thing.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 PM

25,191 posts, read 24,086,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I quit smoking in 1989, at the request of my husband. He had quit many years earlier, after suffering a heart attack.

I enjoyed smoking and I still miss it. I've always joked that I miss it so much that when I turn 80 I'm going to start smoking again. But I'm 72 now and the closer I get to 80, the more I'm inclined to re-think that statement.
If a doctor told me get my paperwork and financial affairs in order because I wasn't long for the world, if I wanted to smoke, I'd smoke.

You're like my mother. She never lost the desire to smoke.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 PM

25,191 posts, read 24,086,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rubbish. Neither of my parents ever smoked in their lives, and yet six of their seven children did.

Only two still do.
My mother started smoking in the 1960s after my father had half of a lung removed because his doctor thought that he had cancer. The dark spots were old scars from tuberculosis. He had been treated for pneumonia twice while in England during WWII. Perhaps one or both of those was a mild case of TB. There was a lot of that going around. He hadn't been treated for it when he a child.

Years later, after having given it some thought, I realized that she was nearly hysterical with fear and suffering from nicotine withdrawal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement