U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 2,043,741 times

Advertisements

I have cut back on my cigar smoking. At my peak I might have smoked 4-5/week 15-20 years ago. I am down to 1 every 4-6 weeks. First, I noticed there was a 50/50 shot of my not getting a good night’s sleep the day I smoked starting a few years ago (nicotine??)...then a year or so ago I developed lichen planus—not serious but smoking can irritate the inside of my left cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 04:36 PM

1,740 posts, read 6,106,284 times
I'm not yet retired and, unfortunately, still smoking. Though I was on Chantix for a couple months (had to stop before I went insane) and am now only 5-6 smokes a day, so still working on it. Now the good news. I went in for a Lung Cancer Screening CAT Scan this morning and my doctor says my "scan looks great and no sign of any suspicious nodules." Had not had one before and am not only thankful for the result, but for the speedy delivery of the result.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I'm not yet retired and, unfortunately, still smoking. Though I was on Chantix for a couple months (had to stop before I went insane) and am now only 5-6 smokes a day, so still working on it. Now the good news. I went in for a Lung Cancer Screening CAT Scan this morning and my doctor says my "scan looks great and no sign of any suspicious nodules." Had not had one before and am not only thankful for the result, but for the speedy delivery of the result.
Well, not to rain on your parade, but there are a myriad of other health problems caused or exacerbated by smoking, not just lung cancer.

Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 3,203,687 times
My aunt smoked into her late 80s. Now in an assisted living facility, she was forced to give it up at 88. She started smoking at age 10. She is now 94 and she does not remember that she smoked for 78 years.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

17,473 posts, read 21,336,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
My aunt smoked into her late 80s. Now in an assisted living facility, she was forced to give it up at 88. She started smoking at age 10. She is now 94 and she does not remember that she smoked for 78 years.
I worked in a Long Term Care facility for 17+ years and there were lots of surprises along the way, like your Aunt. Just like my Dad, having smoked for 50+ years, quit at 66, died at 96 with no respiratory problems, never ever needed an inhaler. Teflon-coated genes? And my mother breathed in all that 2nd hand smoke for 60 years of marriage, and no effect whatsoever.

Even myself, when I hear of someone having lung cancer, it's to be expected you think it was caused by smoking tobacco. I'm just as guilty as the next person in making those generalizations.

I just read an article in the UC Berkeley School of Public Health:

"Worldwide, 15-20% of males and more than half of females who develop lung cancer were never-smokers."

And some of these people didn't even develop it from 2nd hand smoke, but factors such as Radon, Workplace Exposure, Air Pollution, genes.

Again, working in a LTC facility I ran into these people, from time to time.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

24,116 posts, read 8,426,709 times
I can't see why ANYONE wants to support the tobacco industry.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

56,472 posts, read 54,891,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't see why ANYONE wants to support the tobacco industry.
I have known a lot of smokers, but none of them smoked because they were interested in supporting the tobacco industry.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 11 days ago)

1,336 posts, read 440,512 times
Neither is recommended.

I would trust the Mayo Clinic outline on the issue

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...g/faq-20057787

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

254 posts, read 69,593 times
A friend of mine's father, Marine rifleman in the Pacific, eventful life otherwise, wife was dead already, some new serious health problems, decided to start smoking at age 80 or so.

That strikes me as a practical way to go.

Old Today, 05:37 AM

5,000 posts, read 3,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
It took me a long time to quit smoking. I had cut down but still smoked. Then my heart doctor told me it was contributing to my need for a stent and I decided to get serious.

I took a drastic measure and moved into a total non smoking complex. Not only could you not smoke in the apartment but you can't smoke on the grounds.

So, if I wanted to smoke I would either have to get in my car to get off the grounds or attempt to walk far enough away from them. I was sent to that doctor by my regular doctor because I was having trouble walking and she discovered I did not have a good pulse.

The heart doctor told me I would live longer if I quit smoking. Being as I am only 65, I decided it was time to get serious about quitting.

It's not easy though and now, after almost three months, I still have strong cravings. I have been able to overcome them by doing things to take my mind off it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement