Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 05:26 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There is usually to much emphasis on current costs with current pay checks ....when they cease , what you thought you needed is irrelevant...all that matters is what you actually end up with despite your best attempts
.....and then adjust as you best can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 07:34 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
.....and then adjust as you best can.
Or, if retiring means you end up having to live so cheaply it makes you miserable, simply keep working and put off retirement. Retirement is great, but being able to live somewhere other than an old trailer, being able to eat more than cat food, and being able to go to the dentist when you need to is much better. If you hate your job, find something you can live with. If you can no longer work and cannot afford to retire, maybe a ski mask, a gat and some crack is in your future. Or, a "Please help, I'm homeless and hungry" sign.

And, disclaimer: the point of my statement is not to put down people who didn't prepare for their old age, but rather to get young people to start planning for the inevitable, it's not as far off as you think. Save, invest, repeat. It's coming.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:00 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
An all important question to ask yourself.

How little do you need to continue to live on per year?

I know of folks getting by on $20,000 a year and never a complaint. Simple and always happy.
Of course 69 cents box of macaroni is a prime staple food in their daily diet.

I know others who live on $ 300,000 a year and are always complaining about their expenses.

So .....If I were to ask you again.....How little can you live on per year and you are leaps and bounds over that amount
thank the Lord your God and continue maintaining a healthy body and inner peace of soul into the twilight of your earthly life.
nuff said.............

Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
there is never a bottom for any of us ..we can always live elsewhere or down grade something to make life cheaper ... there really are little needs ...what we tend to call our needs are wants because we draw that line in the sand and prefer not to change certain things or downgrade beyond a certain level . but we could ,

but that does not mean this " minimum" lifestyle is something you want , should target or even like .

Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Actually, all through our working years we knew where the bottom was and always worked to avoid it. It’s why in our mid-40’s we were concerned enough about our lack of retirement funding to put it in overdrive.

We have always been able to live on less, but yes we are clearly aware of where the bottom is and what it feels like.

Not everyone has that awareness.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Living in a van is an option. One blogger posted that on ER forum recently.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Bwah!

Reminds me in watching all the HGTV shows about tiny houses....Sure, they are affordable but what happens when you are old, elderly, or become disabled...will you be able to climb that ladder to your tiny loft bed?

Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Or an RV. My well-off sister and BIL are doing that in a luxurious 5th wheel and who knows if they'll settle down. They have a sweet parking spot on a campus where they just volunteer a few hours a week to stay there.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Bwah!

Reminds me in watching all the HGTV shows about tiny houses....Sure, they are affordable but what happens when you are old, elderly, or become disabled...will you be able to climb that ladder to your tiny loft bed?
He finally admitted he has $3 million. But at first he gave the impression he was close to penniless, quit his job and lived in a van. Actually he did for a while down in Mexico. Now he lives in a boat. Interesting life. But not for me, my husband and I are still recovering from that log cabin we stayed at June Lake. The reason we booked the log cabin because it’s one step above camping. We used to love camping. We both were in the Scouts at one point. But I checked his blog and his wife has awful skin, must be years spending under the sun. But to each his own.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Or an RV. My well-off sister and BIL are doing that in a luxurious 5th wheel and who knows if they'll settle down. They have a sweet parking spot on a campus where they just volunteer a few hours a week to stay there.
Actually, living in an RV is very common, it’s a Volkswagen van(memory serves) is something new. Living in a boat is not new to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement