Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:24 PM

105,931 posts, read 107,900,219 times

Advertisements

An average person is going to be different in different cost of living areas ....an average person in Dallas or Phoenix is not going to be average in the tristate area.

Trying to define a middle class lifestyle in all different areas is going to take a widely different income..

Average is for straw people .....on average we should be comfortable strapped to a bench with one side to the fire place and the other side packed with ice.

Why do you suppose we all earn different amounts while working ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 05:25 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,298,336 times
Retirement means different things to different people. Some are very happy to have the time to go down to the creek and go fishing. To my wife's cousin it was hiking in the Himalayas. To me it is somewhere in between.

The best laid plans often go down the tube, such as when I was downsized at age 59 during a recession. That gave "being frugal" a new and intense meaning.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:30 PM

344 posts, read 414,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ha ha ha , I would never have retired if all I had was 3600 a month here...

I would be living in the hood...
I don’t live in the hood! I’ve been at retirement for 4 years now and have a monthly spend of about 2400. I worship at the altar of wr (withdrawal rate) and the lower that percentage is, the better. Spending 3600 a month would seem luxurious!

Old 07-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I don’t live in the hood! I’ve been at retirement for 4 years now and have a monthly spend of about 2400. I worship at the altar of wr (withdrawal rate) and the lower that percentage is, the better. Spending 3600 a month would seem luxurious!
Do you live in nyc ? If you don’t then you are proving my point ... there is no such thing as an average number that applies everywhere.... plus what you may accept as a life style may be quite unacceptable to someone else.

We have a million people living in low income housing projects here ..it may be very acceptable to them ...I grew up in one , I spent my life making sure I never ever had to raise my own family in one .. that lifestyle would be totally unacceptable to me , been there done that ....but to millions quite an acceptable life.

Our rent is over 2k alone so while you may live on 2400 the lifestyle it would give us would be unacceptable here.. so yeah we would be living in the hood or an undesirable area

Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 PM

17,276 posts, read 11,126,829 times
Not very many people plan to retire to New York from other parts of the country, either in Manhattan nor the hood.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Do you live in nyc ? If you don’t then you are proving my point ... there is no such thing as an average number that applies everywhere.... plus what you may accept as a life style may be quite unacceptable to someone else.

We have a million people living in low income housing projects here ..it may be very acceptable to them ...I grew up in one , I spent my life making sure I never ever had to raise my own family in one .. that lifestyle would be totally unacceptable to me , been there done that ....but to millions quite an acceptable life.

I was trying to prove your point! You’re one of my heroes on this forum!

Old 07-27-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I was trying to prove your point! You’re one of my heroes on this forum!
Well you did prove it ... while you are living an acceptable life on 2400 bucks it wouldn’t get us to first base here except in the most undesirable areas and apartments

Old 07-27-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not very many people plan to retire to New York from other parts of the country, either in Manhattan nor the hood.
Irrelevant , you still can’t compare all areas with some silly number and certainly can’t define the lifestyle someone wants and expects as a minimum lifestyle..

We all have our minimums of what is acceptable to us ..most of us developed lifestyles based on how we lived working ...

Old 07-27-2019, 05:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,761,879 times
"How much (average) does it take to retire?" is the same as the pre-retirement question, "How much (average) does it take to live and pay one's bills? -- From prior threads on the Retirement Forum, it's clear there is a range of answers as wide as there are people ... and no 'one-size-fits-all' average.

There are some reports on retiree spending trends in different parts of the country, which should give you a basic frame-of-reference. Social Security has one titled, 'Expenditures of the Aged Chartbook' (I've got a 2010 version (last census) - Not sure if there is an update available.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant , you still can’t compare all areas with some silly number and certainly can’t define the lifestyle someone wants and expects as a minimum lifestyle..

We all have our minimums of what is acceptable to us ..
You were right with your first answer. Basically how long is a piece of string? There are so many variables that are unique to each person that its almost impossible to do an apples to apples comparison or to make sense out of someone else’s numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement